Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

No power when on generator - but fine on shore power

Hello all -
I'm still looking through the box of manuals from out "new to us" 2008 Berkshire 360QS. I drove it from San Diego to Albuquerque this past weekend with no issues. Went for a short drive this evening and had no power while on generator. I did exactly what the dealer showed me to do, understanding now he may have been wrong...

Coach was on shore power - everything fine.
pulled in slides - good
started generator, ok
disconnected shore power - everything inside went dead...

I checked generator, it was running, although at almost idle and every 10 seconds it would rev, then revert back to idle. Checked breaker in generator, it was OK. Checked all the fuses in the compartment, street side - under driver, all OK.

The unit had a new Progressive Industry transfer switch installed when I bought it - I had read on tis Forum about the recall and had them fix it before I took delivery - THANKS EVERYONE!

There are no outlets, no microwave, no ac working. Seems like a breaker but I have yet in my manuals to see where the circuit panel is. There is an IOTA panel under the bed - is that the circuit panel box?

Lastly - why would everything work from shore power but not generator if a circuit breaker triggered?

Thanks - great forum - wonderful folks...
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

I would turn the circuit breakers on the generator off and then back on again and see if that helps. If not, try resetting the circuit breakers on the panel under the bed. Finally, I would reset all GFI outlets (probably one in the kitchen and one in the bath). One last thing is that the new transfer switch is not functioning properly. Try these other resets first and see what happens.
Also, you said that you started the generator while still connected to shore power. I would make sure I am disconnected from shore power and then start the generator. See if that helps.
Let us know how you make out.
Good luck.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like the transfer switch isn't dare I say transferring.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #4

If generators circuit breaks are on the I say the transfer switch has a problem.
I think that FR had a recall on some of the transfer switches burning up from loose connections. I would suggest to check it out.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

I downloaded the Onan manual and see that it recommends (as you did TMMAR) having no load and disconnect from shore power. I've not done that in the week I've had it but will certainly start... I'm familiar with one breaker on the generator and I flipped it - no joy...
I will explore under the bed tomorrow and check the breakers - now that I know they are indeed there. I did not check the GFI plugs - but I'll hunt for them.

It would be funny to have demanded a new transfer switch and one week later have a bad NEW transfer switch, dare I say that?? Interestingly, I did hear it click the second I turned on the 50amp service...
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

We have a 390QS and our breaker box is under the bed on the side. Would think yours is too. We had a power issue with our HM and after some trouble shooting found some wires had come off the buss bar inside the breaker box. If the plastic box feels warm you could have short inside the box. With shore power disconnected and generator off you can inspect the wires by taking off the cover on the breaker box.

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer
I downloaded the Onan manual and see that it recommends (as you did TMMAR) having no load and disconnect from shore power. I've not done that in the week I've had it but will certainly start... I'm familiar with one breaker on the generator and I flipped it - no joy...
I will explore under the bed tomorrow and check the breakers - now that I know they are indeed there. I did not check the GFI plugs - but I'll hunt for them.

It would be funny to have demanded a new transfer switch and one week later have a bad NEW transfer switch, dare I say that?? Interestingly, I did hear it click the second I turned on the 50amp service...
Just because it switched doesn't mean it actually is transferring.
You need to check input / output voltage.

Make sure there's voltage going in and out.

If you heard it clunk tells me there was voltage going in ....... that means ??????
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

On the Sunseeker your shore cord has to be plugged into an outlet in the storage compartment to complete the circuit for the generator to power the rv. Any chance your Georgetown my have the same set up?

Edit- I shouldn't have read so fast, with the transfer switch you probably don't have the outlet.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #9

Had this very problem shortly after we had our new transfer switch installed. The cure for me was that I had inadvertantly left my thermostat set in the cool mode with the high fan setting on both zones. Seems it must have been demanding too much power to effectively allow the transfer switch to transfer. Once I turned the thermostat to the off position and then started the generator, the switch transferred and I had power throughout the coach. I was also then able to switch the a/c back on and it worked fine. Anyway, it's something to check - it worked for me.
jhpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Did you make sure the battery disconnect switch by the door was in the use position?

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just curious did ya get out your volt meter yet?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #12

Working - thanks to everyone who replied

Jhpete1, I believe you nailed it. I believe every time before, I had the ac's on, but on low or auto. The temp was very high day before and I'm sure I had the ac's cranking. Regardless, I started the generator, turned the ac's to low, removed shore power and have had no issues. I have done this four or five times now... Just to be sure, I did it with thew ac's on high and BAM, no joy... The transfer switch would not switch...

I wanted to thank every one for their great suggestions and replies. I can see RV ownership is going to be a fun and challenging exercise.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer
Jhpete1, I believe you nailed it. I believe every time before, I had the ac's on, but on low or auto. The temp was very high day before and I'm sure I had the ac's cranking. Regardless, I started the generator, turned the ac's to low, removed shore power and have had no issues. I have done this four or five times now... Just to be sure, I did it with thew ac's on high and BAM, no joy... The transfer switch would not switch...

I wanted to thank every one for their great suggestions and replies. I can see RV ownership is going to be a fun and challenging exercise.
You got that right ! Fun and challenging !