Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 02:52 AM   #1

Oh Boy .... not that Silly step again.

Here we go again with that Silly Lippert Step.

We have a 2012 390BH60. In the first 3 of owning this unit , the step motor and controller was replaced 3 times and finally a solution was found once the entire step assembly was replaced.

Each time, the parts were supplied free of charge but I was left to foot the service bill of approx 200 per visit.

Each time the problem was the same ... the step would partially extend or retract them suddenly loose its mind. A terrible ratcheting noise and a jerky in out movèment.

This was an extremely common problem for several year. This and the Gen1 Girrard Water heater were the two most common complaint ... neither of which were backed up by FR.

Anyways .... once the step waa finally replaced I had several years with no step issue. .... Until this morning.

I was in the back bedroom when I heard my wife open the door. All of a sudden I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Them my wife confirmed my worry ... it is the step again.

Question to this forum ...

As far.as.replacement ... has anyone come up with a decent solution. I really donot want this to be an other on going issue.

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:46 AM   #2

the gear on my steps went last year.I just replaced the complete step. Took about an hour to change it out.

I now have it on my spring list to lube all the pivot points.

One thing i will say is you can not step on the steps while moving. I have caught other family members doing this.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Ya ... we clued into the no step when moving rule .. years ago.

I normally lube with a WD40 or white gease spray. Can you suggest a better alternative?
Old 08-29-2020, 04:30 AM   #4

white grease or silicone. White grease seems to hold up well. WD-40 is a great to free things up but not really a good long term lubricant.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #5

I just replaced my Kwikee step controller. It was acting up intermittently working sometimes and deploying by itself while driving. Called Lippert and got a new controller under warranty. The Lippert tech said that they have been known to get water inside causing problems. Maybe a better design for the controller housing. Seems like this is a common issue. A whole lot of water gets churned up underneath while driving in the rain.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
2017 Heartland Landmark 365
1989 Winnebago Super Chief
Nightshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #6

I would agree .... it is an extremely common issue that has been going on for years. Like I said above I had 3 controler/motors replaced on warranty. It was not until the entire step was replaced that the issue was resolved. Each time I was left to pay for the service.

In my opinion, it is amazing that a company will continue to produce a product with a known defect. Apparently they have never heard of the term Continuous Improvement.

This is what happens when you have a lack of competition and an RV industry that refuses to push back on their suppliers.

If the industry took the time to listen to the rv owners ... things would could be so much better. Most of these crazy design flaws could be resolved at little of no cost.

Example

How many years did Berk produce units where the entry doors did not latch properly due to misalignment.

DEF tank on opposite side of commercial trucks forcing driver to go wrong way thru fill lane if using bulk

DEF near impossible to fill with jug due to door placement..

Up swinging door making battery service and replacement very difficult.

Closet doors that slide open and break during travel ... dowel in track was a quick fix.

Micro cracking in gelcoat.

only to name a fews
Old 08-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #7

I've got the older model step on my 2006 Sunseeker 2860ds. Replaced 3 controllers and motors. $350 each time. If the steps are retracted it's beyond my capabilities and frustration to fix as a diy project as seen on You tube. The newer models may be a different story but then again depending on the position they fail in might matter.

All new electric steps will be over $700 according to my dealer when it's all said and done.

The new ones break too so why bother? Just pay to maintain them.

I carry a tall collapseable plastic step and a steel frame fold up leg 6" step just in case.

I always put out the 6" step otherwise it's 12" to the electric step.

I built a storage box for the step well that serves as an additional step once inside the door. Otherwise it's a giant 11" step to the coach floor. It's a smaller landing area right inside the door, but the custom hand rails I installed,see picture, more than compensate for that. My wife loves it all and I use them all the time.

Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091312.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	237918Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091246.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	237919
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #8

The linkage between the gear and steps broke twice on our Lippert steps. The dealer who sold the rig to the original owner said it would be under warranty but we had to wait for approval with had still not come after 4 months. "Our home office is working on it." That was the first time. Second time, I took it to an independent shop who said I could bring it in after three weeks but only took two days in the shop. The third time, the gear when totally fubar. This time the independent shop called Lippert and they sent out a new Kwikee at no cost but I had to foot the labor. No problems since.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #9

Parise.

If I am not mistaken, a Sunseeker is a class C. For this type of vehicle a manual or temporary step is a great idea since the primary exit point when driving the vehicle is thru the driver or passanger doors. These doors are designed to be at a height condusive to easy entry and exit. If you need to stop, you can leave thru one of these doors before deploying the temporary step.

As Class A dsl pusher is a very different beast. First off ... you only have one entry/exit point. This means you donot have the option to deploy a temp atep before exit. Secondly, once the airbags in the suspension has inflated, the height of the step from the ground is considerable. The height would pose a considerable safety risk
Old 08-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #10

Lefaivre

Yes, a Sunseeker is a Class C.

Your idea to replace automatic lighted electric steps in favor of manual pull out and push in steps is an individual choice that for me would face more cons than pros.

Automatic electric steps do offer conveniences that are definitely missed when they fail.

It adds actions to exit via the driver or passenger door only to pull out manual steps, enter the coach vs just exiting the coach via the coach door using automatically deployed steps.

We do sometimes have a few passengers and the co pilot does not always sit in the front passenger seat. So in some cases it is easier and quicker just to let them exit via the coach door using the automatic electric steps without a person from the cab having to assist others in exiting the coach.

At night, automatic electric steps are illuminated automatically. Not sure how lighting functionality would be achieced with manual steps.

While just about anything can be fabricated, welded, or bolted, and wired, my dealer has only recommended fixing what I've got and I agree with him.

Thanks for the idea. I have looked at manual steps before and determined automatic electric steps are the way to go. .

Chris
Old 08-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #11

Step problems???? Not me!!! Never!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Step problems???? Not me!!! Never!!!

Yea Right. You are the professor of steps.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #13

Did you drive thru water and get it wet recently? I had and let it dry out for about three weeks and it worked again. Then I bought some duct seal putty and sealed all the wire entrances better. Still waiting for the next rain to test it. It has done this for me about 4 times now and after drying out works again. Did not shudder as yours but was going in and out while I was driving!
e I
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 PM   #14

Wanderer44,

You may be on to something. When I examined the old controller my rv dealer returned to me this spring as proof of replacing I noticed the wire openings aren't sealed. I may push a bead of Rtv into those spot(s).

Chris