Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
As for Silver's thought in tracing wires, I have seen telephone guys trace wires with a tone generator. One thing I do not have, but may be a worthwhile tool. Here is one that I found:

Multifunction RJ-45, BNC, and Speaker Wire Tone Generator | Tracer | Tester - Monoprice.com

I would think that you could pull the slide switch panel off, check for voltage (should be none) and inject the tone. Then trace the tone.
Hank
I got a tone tracer at Harbor Freight for I THINK $24. Works good. I use it for this type of thing.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I like this. This gets back to my theory of a Forest River circuit. Do you remember which fuse you pulled? Could you take a picture of it and post for kenny? I think you both have same year coaches. Maybe he can disable the circuit by pulling the fuse to gain slide access and at least close things up.
Coach is in my storage away from the house right now.

But I believe it is in the third fuse box from the left, second one down from the top.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Ken, I have been following your problem and know that you are probably grasping at straws now. Well here is a straw from just logic:

Since all of your slides stopped working at the same time, one theory would be the ignition lockout that prevents the slides from working when on. In researching the Freightliner schematics (there are no FR schematics - LOL). There is a fused 10A ignition and accessory interface to the body builder (ie: FR). You can start there; checking those fuses.

Since this line is probably only a signal line (not for power), it probably feeds a relay somewhere (only FR and God knows where) that turns on power to the slides when the ignition is off.

Just a straw of a thought.
Hank
I did pull every fuse in the outside 12v access compartment directly below the driver. Measured each for open and all were fine.
Are there more fuses under the dash ?
I am positive it's a fuse somewhere to lock out all four. I only wish I was there when it happened so I would know if there were any noises that accompanied the failure. DW is not a good source of information for things like that.
To summarize: I pulled all the fuses I could find and tested them. This included the 12v fuse panel on the outside by the driver, whatever fuses I could find by the batteries (both house and chassis) and an inline fuse right at the motor.
Additionally, there is a clearly marked relay (tape with the word "Slides" on it) in the 12v compartment. I ordered a replacement and tried it with no change. There are several relays there and all are marked nicely.

My last hope prior to taking it in (or having a tech come out) is a response from Randy with any more ideas he may have.

Silver:
Good luck with the surgery. Hope it works out well for you.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #104

Kenny, does your awning work?

It is tied into the ignition lockout mentioned above.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #105

Hi Kenny,

I bet the slides relay provides 12 volts back to the slide control panel and is a normally closed relay. Do you have the pin out for the relay. Was it at the web site where you ordered it? I would remove the relay and measure the contact legs to first see if power is on one. Then measure each side of the coil. One side will be at ground and the other open with ignition off. With ignition on the other should be 12V, This might help isolate your problem. If you give me the relay part number I will look up the spec to be sure of my guess and tell you exactly how to make the measurements. This has to be something silly if we can just find it.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #106

Quote:
Hi Kenny,

I bet the slides relay provides 12 volts back to the slide control panel and is a normally closed relay. Do you have the pin out for the relay. Was it at the web site where you ordered it? I would remove the relay and measure the contact legs to first see if power is on one. Then measure each side of the coil. One side will be at ground and the other open with ignition off. With ignition on the other should be 12V, This might help isolate your problem. If you give me the relay part number I will look up the spec to be sure of my guess and tell you exactly how to make the measurements. This has to be something silly if we can just find it.
I do not have the part number here at work, but I will post it once i get home this evening.

Thanks !!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Kenny, does your awning work?

It is tied into the ignition lockout mentioned above.
I will try the awning when I return home.

Thanks !!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #108

Man Kenny, sorry for your troubles! Hopefully this experience will help someone else in the future, once you get it resolved.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #109

Thanks Rich.
I tried the awnings and they both work.

Silver:
Part number of the relay is :
V2323A-A1001-X036

Ken
Old 11-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #110

Ok. I'm feeling bad so I got out to the storage place and take a pic of hydraulics bay. There is an inline fuse there. Did you check this (sorry if previously posted).

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446850240767.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	93819   Click image for larger version

Name:	1446850253545.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	93820  
Old 11-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #111

Rich, aren't you wounded? Knock it off before you muck up the surgery!

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #112

You're right Paul, but a friend in need........

Rich
Old 11-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #113

GasMan thank you
Yes, I did check that one. The jacks work fine too.
Thank you for looking.
Ken
Old 11-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #114

Kenny

If I am correct the slide relay needs to pass +12v to slide control when ignition is off and break the connection or pass ground when ignition is on. We could verify and hopefully isolate if the problem is before the relay or after. Attached I have marked the relay pin out as I believe it should be wired. Just a guess. From the part number you provided it is a five pin part. I have marked the voltages you should find on the parts. I am assuming coil voltage is present only when ignition is on. First verify this. Then verify voltages on other pins as I have marked them. Test at socket with relay removed. Let me know what you find. We will go from there depending on results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide relay.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	93832  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #115

I thought his AC was working. It is the slide power that is gone.

Kenny, Did you measure any voltages on the relay socket? Trying to determine where your power loss is. Have you decided to go to dealer instead?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #116

Quote:
I thought his AC was working. It is the slide power that is gone.

Kenny, Did you measure any voltages on the relay socket? Trying to determine where your power loss is. Have you decided to go to dealer instead?
Silver:

I was really hoping Randy was going to respond to my email, but I'm guessing things must be too busy there now.

I did go out and pulled the relay up just enough so I could put the meter probes on the blades from the relay, but I'm not sure if I pulled it up too high, because I didn't get anything from any of the blades. And to top it off, the battery on the meter starts flashing it's gone.

I did look at a downloaded manual (I think it's for mine), and it gave three possible problems when the slides would not work and no sound was made: 1-Battery, 2-fuse, and 3-Controller Board.

In frustration, I closed it up, and dug out the extended warranty from Good Sam. Going to stop at the local dealer and see if he will send someone to the house under that warranty.

I had really hoped to have the cover on it by this time.

Thanks for checking back....

Ken
Old 11-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #117

Ken, call him, he responds quicker.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #118

Hi Kenny,

Pull the relay right out to make the measurements. Let me know what you get. Do it with key on and off.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #119

Kenny
I was looking at a schematic the other day and can't locate it again. But as a suggestion, have you check the IGN1 and IGN2 fuses?
Hank
Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #120

Where are those two fuses located?

Tags
slide, slide out