Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #1

On demand water heater come on when stool is flushed?

2014 Berkshire 390 FL. This is a new coach but for sure not our first coach.

We were hearing a noise in the back of the coach when flushing the stool?? Checking it out I find that each time we flush the stool the "on demand" water heater come on??

So I hold down on the flush peddle for a couple minutes but never seem to got any hot water??

This is the first coach I've had with the on demand system.

Guess it really don't matter as one very seldom would run enough water thru it at any time to even get hot water to it??

Has anyone else noticed this or know why the stool would for any reason be hooked to a hot water line?? Thanks

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

I have a Berkshire for a couple years and have had the Tankless water heater go on upon fishing the toilet. It does not happen too often and I am not sure wether the gas burner goes on, or is it just the fan. It is probably due to a change in pressure in the water lines when the cold water flows for the toilet, somehow the hot line is affected and causes a slight flow which initiates the heater. Another gremlin!
Hank
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

I'm not sure about the heater either. I'll get the DW down here after bit & check. Mine comes on every time

Russell
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

I-rv. U are close to right. Here is what mine is doing. Hold the flush peddle as long as u want. Nothing happens. Just as soon as u let off peddle heater fan comes on. ??

So I let up on the peddle real slow. Fan does not come on. Guess it has to do with a sudden back pressure??

Feeling the air out flow on the heater it is not hot. So I guess heater does not fire??

Gremlin it is I guess ? Thanks

Russell
Old 09-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

The heater blower will come on if you have any air in the lines. You need to totally purge all the air including the shower, sinks, outside shower, washing machine etc. If you don't have a washing machine and your camper is plumbed for one, air in those lines will cause you to have the symptom you described. When we first got our MH we had the same problem until we finally used the washing machine. According to Girard, air in the lines will always cause the water heater to go on.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #6

Well that can be true?? We have a washer & use it. And now have 2500 miles on coach. Not sure. Maybe it will go away. Air in lines does make since. But should long since be gone?!

Russell
Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #7

Mine did that when I first got it for a coupe if months. It hasn't done it since. Very strange and u did nothing to fix it so I would go with Marty and say its air in the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

I think that is probably what it is. But you would think the air be gone by now. I'd say we did 7 or loads in the washer on this trip?? Heck after what I went through on the last POS coach we had. You for sure not hear me complain about this. So far I am well satisfied with the Berkshire!!

Russell
Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
The heater blower will come on if you have any air in the lines. You need to totally purge all the air including the shower, sinks, outside shower, washing machine etc. If you don't have a washing machine and your camper is plumbed for one, air in those lines will cause you to have the symptom you described. When we first got our MH we had the same problem until we finally used the washing machine. According to Girard, air in the lines will always cause the water heater to go on.

This......same thing was happening to me. Now when I first hook up the water I purge all the faucets.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #10

Like campin cajun said on hook up purge all the faucets. I also run water through the hose before connecting it to the coach to minimize any air from getting into the system.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Like campin cajun said on hook up purge all the faucets. I also run water through the hose before connecting it to the coach to minimize any air from getting into the system.

You do our do you have Donna do it? Remember we all saw you guys braking camp at Goshen. Sorry that will only be funny if your back is better. Hope it is. That is a good suggestion with the water hose. Someone on the forum suggested that and it works great. Almost no air in the lines.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #12

Phil
The back only acted ip the day we were breaking camp at Goshen. Was okay the rest of the trip. Spent the first night in Kentucky with only water and electric. Then spent 3 days at Maggie Valley before heading for home.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #13

Glad it's better. When is the knee surgery?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #14

Phil,
Did you get the private message I sent you?
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #15

Marty...

Good luck and follow dr orders .... Look to see you down the road a little later....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #16

CAT-RN: be sure to use either warm water or do multiple loads using both the hot and cold settings on the washing machine. We had the exact same problem, was advised to purge the air from the lines but no luck until we used both hot/cold lines to the washer. That solved the problem and hopefully will work for you too!

RKC02
Old 09-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #17

Ok. Thanks CO2

Russell
Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #18

Don't forget the outside shower.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #19

This sounds to me like a check valve before the water heater may help if the issue is reverse flow when the petal is first pushed. Pushing the pedal causes a reduction in system pressure. The pressurized air in the hot water system causes water to be pushed backward through the heater. When the pedal is released, pressure increases and water pushes back through the heater, triggering the flow switch, which starts the combustion air fan, but not long enough to complete the pre combustion purge cycle before the flow stops due to the air being compressed back up to system pressure. The fan then runs through it's post combustion cycle and shuts down.
Installing a check valve before the heater would prevent the backward flow through the heater. That keeps the hot water system fully pressurized and stops the hot water system from needing to be re-pressurized after each flush even if air is trapped in it.

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #20

Ill repeat what a couple of folks have said. It's caused by air in the lines. We were so discouraged with our hw heater, the second one, that while attending a FMCA rally on Perry this past March we stopped by the Girard booth. The rep agreed to meet us at our motorhome to provide a demonstration or training on how to use it. He emphasized several times that the flow sensor really doesn't like any air in the water lines. He instructed us to purge our system by first flushing the toilets, running the shower and faucets and then going outside and running the outside shower. After doing that this season we haven't had any occurrences where the heater runs when it shouldn't. I installed a y with two short hoses, one that goes to the city supply and one that goes to the tank fill. The y has shut offs and I usually flow to the tank when we first setup at a site to remove the air from the supply water line. This helps reduce or eliminate the introduction of air into the system.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater