Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Onan 8kw oil

I Will be doing my first oil change at the 50 hr mark shortly. Is it ok to use rotella t-6 5w40 full synth. I read the manual and it didn't say anything about synthetic oils. I use this for my main engine and would like to keep it the same for the generator. Less to carry with me. Any info would be great.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #2

I don't use the full synthetic. I use Mobil Delvac 15w40 for my main engine and generator. When I picked up my coach there was a yellow tag on the generator oil fill and it said that it was filled with 15w40 oil.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas
I Will be doing my first oil change at the 50 hr mark shortly. Is it ok to use rotella t-6 5w40 full synth. I read the manual and it didn't say anything about synthetic oils. I use this for my main engine and would like to keep it the same for the generator. Less to carry with me. Any info would be great.
First of all what weight does your gennie manual recommend for your climate and conditions?
And did you mean 15w40 ?
For warranty I would recommend the proper weight listed for gennie. Brand is whatever you prefer.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

My 4000 takes 15w40. I just use the napa brand fleet oil. I use mine a lot in hot weather, sometimes for more then 48 hours straight. It only takes about 10 minutes to do an oil change so I just change it more often.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

The weight is 15-40. However with full synth oil it is 5-40 the container says comparable to 15-40. I guess my real question is is it ok to go with synth oil. Or just stick to conventional. my main cummins engine says no synth oil until 10k miles. But the generator doesn't say anything about waiting on synth or not. So I just want to be safe. I guess I will just stick with conventional.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #6

I just went conventional because that's what the manual and Cummins said to stay with.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas
The weight is 15-40. However with full synth oil it is 5-40 the container says comparable to 15-40. I guess my real question is is it ok to go with synth oil. Or just stick to conventional. my main cummins engine says no synth oil until 10k miles. But the generator doesn't say anything about waiting on synth or not. So I just want to be safe. I guess I will just stick with conventional.
Stick to conventional oil till gennie is broke in.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

Sounds like that's the safe bet to stay with conventional for both engines. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #9

Many new vehicles come from the factory with synthetic already in the pan so if it were me, I would go that route. The extra lubricity provided by synthetic is just an extra level of protection to me.
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote