Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Our summer trip so far

Left Yuma in mid-March.

8 weeks in Pahrump, NV.
3 Weeks near Fresno, CA (Yosemite NP)
2 months in Thayne, WY
1 month in Buena Vista, CO

Moab, UT next!!

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YEP.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	89553  
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #2

Nice loop Boo. Will you end up back in Yuma ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Nice loop Boo. Will you end up back in Yuma ?

Eventually.....

Probably going to Benson for at least a month before Yuma, however.

Benson is 25 miles from Tombstone in SW AZ, BTW.

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

I envy you. Hope to do it soon!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

Be sure to check out Kartchner Cavern state park... Rv park there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

I recommend Cochise Terrace RV Park if not dry camping. Beautiful.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
peaceparson

Wish I had your kind of summers! Mine only last two weeks--then it's back to the grind! Yea, I'm retired--for a year and a half, now. "Retired--I was tired yesterday, and I'm tired again today!" How many miles altogether will you travel on your dream-trip? Enjoy them all!
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceparson View Post
Wish I had your kind of summers! Mine only last two weeks--then it's back to the grind! Yea, I'm retired--for a year and a half, now. "Retired--I was tired yesterday, and I'm tired again today!" How many miles altogether will you travel on your dream-trip? Enjoy them all!
We've got 2300 mile on the clock right now. Probably 3500 by the end of the summer trip. BUT, then I do it all again next year; provided illness or expiration (mine) doesn't interfere with another trip. I plan to do it 'til I drop!

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi2007 View Post
I recommend Cochise Terrace RV Park if not dry camping. Beautiful.
Thanks to you and jcowles for the advice. I'm an Escapee's Club member and they have a park on the south end of town going toward Tombstone. Lotsa friends there.

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Always Learning

Nice. Our timeframes are a LOT shorter than yours, but we head to Moab in early October for a week. Then Las Vegas for 2 weeks. Then flying back to PA/MD to visit with family. Back to Vegas to immediately head to Pahrump before making our way into California.

Then, once the new year hits- we get nutty and head from CA to FL.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Nice. Our timeframes are a LOT shorter than yours, but we head to Moab in early October for a week. Then Las Vegas for 2 weeks. Then flying back to PA/MD to visit with family. Back to Vegas to immediately head to Pahrump before making our way into California.

Then, once the new year hits- we get nutty and head from CA to FL.
Cool. Are you an Escapee?? If so, do you have a lot at Pahrump Skip park? Other wise little reason to go to Pahrump unless it's for the "cat houses"!!

Only 60 miles to Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, CA which is nice in the winter.

We should be in the Moab area by Tues-Wed next week. Plan on staying along the Colorado River there on UT-128 coming out of just North of town. We like Big Bend CG the best; it's about 15 miles from town, but oh, the scenery.

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Cool.We like Big Bend CG the best; it's about 15 miles from town, but oh, the scenery.

Boowho??
Boo hope you can post some pictures for the sake of us Easteners that don't get out that way.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #13

That's because you spend all your time driving across state

Wayne
Old 09-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Boo hope you can post some pictures for the sake of us Easteners that don't get out that way.
Are you sure, Joe?? Scenery there will make you cry, it is so stunning. If there is any place in the USA that will make you feel closer to God, I haven't found it.

On the other hand, when I DO post it, you'll start making your plans to come there immediately.

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Cool. Are you an Escapee?? If so, do you have a lot at Pahrump Skip park? Other wise little reason to go to Pahrump unless it's for the "cat houses"!!

Only 60 miles to Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, CA which is nice in the winter.

We should be in the Moab area by Tues-Wed next week. Plan on staying along the Colorado River there on UT-128 coming out of just North of town. We like Big Bend CG the best; it's about 15 miles from town, but oh, the scenery.

Boowho??
I wanted to stay at Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, but we're there over Veteran's Day and apparently that is quite the draw. We couldn't find a space for our stay. So, our backup was Pahrump. I didn't know about the cat houses- now I'm excited!

We are Escapees members, but haven't decided where we're staying. With 2 kids, I'm not certain how well we'd be received.

We will get to Moab on October 6. We're staying at Archview campground. I picked it based on reviews- no actual knowledge of any park.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I wanted to stay at Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, but we're there over Veteran's Day and apparently that is quite the draw. We couldn't find a space for our stay. So, our backup was Pahrump. I didn't know about the cat houses- now I'm excited!

We are Escapees members, but haven't decided where we're staying. With 2 kids, I'm not certain how well we'd be received.

We will get to Moab on October 6. We're staying at Archview campground. I picked it based on reviews- no actual knowledge of any park.
Furnace Creek can get really crowded, during their "event" weekends, especially if the 20 Mule Team Boraxo guy shows up with his mules.

I've got some video of the mule skinner and his helpers (swampers??) hooking up the 20 mule hitch.

Pahrump, has two cathouses, Sherri's and the Chicken Ranch. Not what you'd think..... I think Sherri's may have an RV park attached. I know it offers a golf course and tennis courts.

Restaurant is nice, and if the "working girls" didn't walk thru dern near nude occasionally, you'd never know it was a brothel. I took the DW there for lunch and she wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Sherri's and the Chicken Ranch are next door to each other, about 2 miles down the street from the Skip park. It's so funny; out there prostitution is just fact of life.... Nobody get's too bent out of shape over it; it's like walking into a McDonald's and ordering a hamburger!!

Well not quite, but close!!!

Boowho??
Old 09-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #17

A few pics in and around Buena Vista, CO. The abandoned ghost town of St. Elmo, CO.... Last permanent resident left in 1943. St Elmo is about a 40 mile round trip from Buena Vista.

A high mountain lake on the way to St. Elmo and the yellow Aspens were seen on that side trip as well.

Then there is Big Horn Sheep canyon on US 50 between Salida and Canon City, CO. The drive between Salida and Canon City is about 60 miles. One of the prettiest drives on a paved highway I've ever seen.

Finally, the suspension bridge across the Arkansas River near Canon City, CO. Can't be seen from this vantage point, but from the wooden plank bridge floor to the river below is right at 1000 feet. Looking down thru the gaps in planks is a RUSH, especially if you're on foot and a car goes by. Then you can feel the whole bridge shake a bit, and the planks rattle like hell. VERY exciting.

And the walls of the canyon are so steep that in some places they actually go beyond vertical. In other words the canyon is narrower at the top than at the bottom!

It's no secret I'm a Western USA bigot. If you haven't so far, the I hope everyone can visit out here eventually.

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20150920_122844.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	89863   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_125557.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	89864   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_125620.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	89865   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150921_130934.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	89866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_122746.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	89867  

Name:	P_20150921_122331.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	89868   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_125602.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	89869  
Old 09-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Are you sure, Joe?? Scenery there will make you cry, it is so stunning. If there is any place in the USA that will make you feel closer to God, I haven't found it.

On the other hand, when I DO post it, you'll start making your plans to come there immediately.

Boowho??
Quote:

Pahrump, has two cathouses, Sherri's and the Chicken Ranch.

Restaurant is nice, and if the "working girls" didn't walk thru dern near nude, occasionally, you'd never know it was a brothel. I took the DW there for lunch and she wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Boowho??

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #19

Quote:
A few pics in and around Buena Vista, CO. The abandoned ghost town of St. Elmo, CO.... Last permanent resident left in 1943. St Elmo is about a 40 mile round trip from Buena Vista.

A high mountain lake on the way to St. Elmo and the yellow Aspens were seen on that side trip as well.

Then there is Big Horn Sheep canyon on US 50 between Salida and Canon City, CO. The drive between Salida and Canon City is about 60 miles. One of the prettiest drives on a paved highway I've ever seen.

Finally, the suspension bridge across the Arkansas River near Canon City, CO. Can't be seen from this vantage point, but from the wooden plank bridge floor to the river below is right at 1000 feet. Looking down thru the gaps in planks is a RUSH, especially if you're on foot and a car goes by. Then you can feel the whole bridge shake a bit, and the planks rattle like hell. VERY exciting.

And the walls of the canyon are so steep that in some places they actually go beyond vertical. In other words the canyon is narrower at the top than at the bottom!

It's no secret I'm a Western USA bigot. If you haven't so far, the I hope everyone can visit out here eventually.

Boowho??

Nice pictures Boo. I've been out to Oregon, Mesa and Sedona areas of Az. often. Rapid City, S.D., and a few places in Colorado. Never in an RV though. Yet ! Someday ! From what I've seen it is real pretty country. Always like looking at pictures though.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Nice pictures Boo. I've been out to Oregon, Mesa and Sedona areas of Az. often. Rapid City, S.D., and a few places in Colorado. Never in an RV though. Yet ! Someday ! From what I've seen it is real pretty country. Always like looking at pictures though.
If you've been to Sedona, youve seen some of the better stuff. The part that really puts you close to God (nature, if you're not a believer) is in and around Moab, UT. Pics coming from there in a week or less.

Boowho??