Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #1

Outdoor TV Mount for 2020 Berkshire XLT

First post!

Brand new 2020 Berkshire XLT 45A. Went to install a DirectTV Genie Mini at the outdoor TV. Can't access the rear of the TV. Decided to turn the TV on to make sure it works since I had not turned it on before. TV turns on, but black screen. I get audio from both the TV and the sound bar but I get a black screen (I can see it's partially backlit). Not even an LG logo. Tested all various inputs, etc. Nothing.

Anyway, I don't have time to call this in for warranty; we are leaving soon, so I figure I'll just replace the TV myself. I thought it might have a PAW mount but I can't get the TV to budge. It's flush against the slide, and I was unable to lift it from the mount. I could not identify any sort of release cables or buttons either. I tried to get my phone camera back there to get an idea of what type of mount it is but I can't tell.

Does anyone know what type of TV mount these are on the outdoor TV's for the Berkshire XLTs? It is not a swing mount.

Thanks!
azcoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

We have a 2020 45A as well, although ours is an early '20 and seems to have a mix of '19 and '20 features.

That said, yours might be different, but on ours there are three screws on either side of the TV that secure it in place. The screws appear to require a square bit to remove.

They're tough to see in the pic below, but look close and you'll see them. That pic is of the right side of the TV.Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	235756
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post
We have a 2020 45A as well, although ours is an early '20 and seems to have a mix of '19 and '20 features.

That said, yours might be different, but on ours there are three screws on either side of the TV that secure it in place. The screws appear to require a square bit to remove.

They're tough to see in the pic below, but look close and you'll see them. That pic is of the right side of the TV.Attachment 235756
Yes, I do see the square head screws, thanks! My initial thought was there was no way that was the mount. But I do suppose it can be a base-plate that the mount is attached to. I may try to remove those screws to see if I can get the whole thing down, and then access the mount so I can replace this TV.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #4

Removing those screws should do it - our last coach had the TV mounted that way as well. The only other access is from behind the couch which would require more flexibility than I possess or removing the couch.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post
Removing those screws should do it - our last coach had the TV mounted that way as well. The only other access is from behind the couch which would require more flexibility than I possess or removing the couch.
Roger. I thought of having my daughter get behind the couch to help. Might be a fun project

I'll give these screws a try and report back. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #6

TV MODEL NUMBER IS:
43LM5700PUA

pdf is the drawing for the TV brkt.FRD209-041.pdf
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maingler View Post
TV MODEL NUMBER IS:
43LM5700PUA

pdf is the drawing for the TV brkt.Attachment 235780
Awesome, thanks. I just ordered the replacement TV from Target (it's mostly out of stock in AZ). I may tackle this when we get up to cooler weather.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #8

Just finished. I did not take pics, I apologize. We were doing some awning repair at the same time so I was sidetracked.

Thanks for the help, the mount was exactly as anaviator Described. 6 screws total and the TV comes out with the bracket.

I was going to install a swivel mount but could not find one I liked on short notice. Walmart did not have a locking mount I wanted.

I measured and there is 4 &1/4” of room between the slide wall and the TV door so it will require a low-profile mount; probably one the sticks out no more than 2 &1/2 inch. Also, this LG TV they install from the factory is not very thin. A thinner TV would allow for more space for a better mount.

Thanks for the help everyone. Can’t wait to hit cooler weather and starting watching games outside!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #9

Glad you were able to get it out and swapped. If you don't mind, post an update when you get the mount and let us know what you go with. I'd love to put a mount in there that would allow pulling the TV out and angling it one way or the other.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
Diesel Rep West Coast

Just wondering why you wouldn't just hook up the Genie to the Hi Def matrix Box and would want to go directly to the TV?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
Just wondering why you wouldn't just hook up the Genie to the Hi Def matrix Box and would want to go directly to the TV?
The main Genie is connected to the matrix. We have a Genie mini connected to the bedroom and patio tv. Between DVD players and gaming consoles, we're out of ports on the matrix.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #12

Did you figure out what was wrong with the TV or just replace it. I'm having the same issue with my outside one also.
2022 Host
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb39 View Post
Did you figure out what was wrong with the TV or just replace it. I'm having the same issue with my outside one also.
I replaced it. It's under warranty but I didn't have the time or energy to squabble over a $200 TV. When we removed it, I noticed that the front panel (the screen) was very loose. It's not that way on my other TVs nor the replacement, so it made me wonder if it got banged up somehow and that's what knocked out the screen, since the TV did turn on and did have audio.

I had a difficult time finding that exact TV in stock. BestBuy, Walmart & Target all had it at multiple stores according to their websites but every time I'd buy it online with in-store pickup, they would cancel the order saying it was out of stock. I ended up ordering it from BestBuy online ($219) from an out of state store and paying for 2-day shipping because we were out of time and had to hit the road.

If I had more time and was thinking clearly, I would have replaced it with a thinner TV and mounted it on a swivel mount. This TV is not great. Only two HDMI ports, and they are so close together that you can't easily have HDMI matrix connection, and another HDMI cable connected. I ended up disconnecting this TV from the matrix. All we will use this TV for is watching ballgames or movies on DirectTV.

Side story - So this outdoor TV was very important for us. Part of the desire of buying this motorhome and traveling the country was setting up camp, and having dinner on the patio while watching ballgames. We're at our first camp site for a week in Prescott, AZ. Pulled-in, leveled, slides out, then did a walk around to make sure I had tree clearance for the dish and... There's a dang power line right over the dish and I can't raise it. I'm not sure it if the dish would actually touch the power line when it raised, but it's way too close for comfort. Dang! We're switching spots in a couple days and we walked over to the next spot to confirm it will not have any obstructions. How fun!
Old 08-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #14

Just a quick note about warranty service - when I've had trouble with something I can fix/replace myself (both headlights have gone bad, my HDMI Matrix box blew up - complete with smoke, etc), I've reached out to Randy Alwine at Forest River. He has had me send him a picture of the failed item and then shipped me a replacement along with a return shipping sticker for the damaged part.

There really isn't much hassle involved.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #15

Thank you both for the info.
2022 Host
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, outdoor tv, tv mount