Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #1

Painting walls

I have a 2019 Berkshire XL 40D. I would like to paint some of my interior walls white, has anyone tried to paint interior walls. Anything special that I should know?
boondocker315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:13 PM   #2

My coach, a Dynamax, had that RV wallpaper on the walls. In most areas I removed the parts that were peeling up and left the paper where it was firmly attached to the wall. Using drywall mud, I feathered the transitions just as you would if you were taping drywall seams in your house. After sanding, I painted with a roller to leave a little texture and it looks great.

I had one problem in the bathroom where the wall behind the toilet was two pieces of luan. The factory used a piece of something as a batten to hide the seam. After I removed that and the paper down to mostly bare wood, I could not tape that seam with anything that would last. Riding down the road would flex the seam enough to open it back up. After two attempts with paper and fiberglass tape, I ended up covering the entire wall with a sheet of FRP. You find that at HD or Lowes. It's used to make cheapy showers. It's thin, easy to work with and paintable. The stuff I used has a pebble surface. I liked it so much I put it on the bottom half of the dining room wall with a trim piece.

Good luck.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote