Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Passenger side rattle

Have a rattle in wall next to front passenger seat in 38A. It's intermittent not related to road bumps or any factors that I can duplicate. It's loud and rapid then goes away. Any suggestions?
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #2

Most likely the mud flap or the inner fender skirt. Those are two of the common ones.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #3

I had loose front shocks.
teamromano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #4

I had carpet on the steps that were held on with springs and they would flap in the wind. Took forever to find the noise. Glued the carpet down. Good luck.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

I had the same problem. The mud flap was flexing and banging in the wind. A bungie and piece of foam from a pool noodle fixed it.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #6

The inside portion of the mud flap has nothing bracing it. Drill a hole thru bracket and attach to front side of step. Noise will disappear
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckerburg View Post
Most likely the mud flap or the inner fender skirt. Those are two of the common ones.
Ok I'll check both
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamromano View Post
I had loose front shocks.
Thank you
Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr View Post
I had carpet on the steps that were held on with springs and they would flap in the wind. Took forever to find the noise. Glued the carpet down. Good luck.
No carpet on my steps. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 07-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
I had the same problem. The mud flap was flexing and banging in the wind. A bungie and piece of foam from a pool noodle fixed it.
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I'll check it out. Thank you
Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
The inside portion of the mud flap has nothing bracing it. Drill a hole thru bracket and attach to front side of step. Noise will disappear
I'll be checking out this mud flap. That sounds like a good fix. Thank you
Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #12

I had a rattle on my 2014 390bh and found it was the small screw cover on the front of the door awning. It is a small 1/2 dollar size metal cap that would ratlle while driving. I taped it up with black electrical tape and have not had a rattle since.
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone. As a result of all the suggestions I finally found the problem. The square steel tube frame that holds the wheel well liner (in front of the passenger front tire) was vibrating against the side of the retractable step sheet metal frame. The two touch and vibrate/rattle as they are not fastened together. I inserted a 3/16 x 1-1/2 square medium-hard rubber bumper and that seems to have solved the problem. I hesitate to drill through the side wall of the steps but that's another option if needed. It took me a while to find the spot because I kept thinking it was the mudflap & frame behind the tire.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #14

it sounds like the front arm of the awning,see if you can push the inner arm in,what you hear is air vibrating the metal of the two arms
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #15

Now if we can get the driver's window to stop creaking and rattling we will be on to something!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #16
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
RKNOLA, hope your stay at Reyford Crossing went well, hope you had an opportunity to sample Corkscrew BBQ at Old Town Spring. We're in Williamsburg VA with our 2018 40B Berk and that dang driver's window has not slowed down on the creaking/rattling one bit since we started out in late July. PM me and let me know about your WH upgrade and trip to TX. We're headed to Elkhart for this and other issues. Will let you know what FR thinks about it. BTW, Freightliner Bootcamp I was a hoot! Good info on a lot of chassis issues.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Now if we can get the driver's window to stop creaking and rattling we will be on to something!
My drivers side window was 'worked on' by Herr techs at the rally and the creaking and rattling is just as bad as before the work was done. In addition to my drivers side window, the entrance door manufacturer had techs at the rally to look at my door which was leaking when it rained and also made (and still makes) a terrible creaking noise which is driving us crazy. Not only is it creaking, it now rattles when we hit bumps in the road. I guess the new locking mechanism did not fix the issue. So, I went from only creaking to creaking and rattling. This has been going on for almost 3 years now. Supposedly the door was adjusted at the last 2 rallies but noting that was done seems to help.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has the creaking/rattling window and or door issue.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #18

Tom
Since those same guys worked on my door at the rally it is worse than before. Now it doesn't stay open in the wind and the lack is so tight you break your fingers trying to open it. Still have the air leaks. Feel your pain brother
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #19

Marty,
At least you are still under warranty and should be able to get it fixed at a dealer that handles FR products. I will have to live with it until next rally or pay to have the 'repairs that were done' fixed myself. I find it hard to believe that your new XLT is having so many similar problems as my '14. I would have thought that in the 4 model years between our coaches that FR would have made some manufacturing/supplier changes to eliminate these annoying issues.

ps- how was the eclipse??

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote