Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
LOL!! Bob it serves the Mini driver right for acting like an idiot!! I always tell Rick "nothing speeds up a left lane driver faster than a MH in the right lane putting on their left blinker"!!

Karen
LOL that's a good one Karen! (BTW, the Air Horn on a Berk is LOUD! )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #22

All right everyone! I was moments away from signing loan doc's to purchase a new 40BH and at last minute pulled out due to the L-shape couch. My wife couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't a sleeper and didn't want to spend the extra money to get a different couch. So, now we are back to square one and we are looking at the 38A again. I have a few concerns and I am looking for honest feedback. Currently, we own a FR Georgetown 351DS bunk model, it has served us well. Looking at the 38A the layout is almost identical minus the back bath and normal upgrades that come with a DP. With that being said, I don't feel like it's a huge upgrade inside whe you look at the quality of finishes inside like wood work, trim bathroom counters, etc. Also, the AC units are the same that I have in my Georgetown and when you are trying to sleep the noise of the AC unit above the bed is a distraction. Will those of you that own a 38A please chime in and let me know if you have any issues with the quality, anything not holding up, is the AC too loud when running. I really like the layout and obviously the price of the 38A, but need some advise. Hopefully I'm not offending anyone that owns a 38A, I really like it, but it's a lot of money and just want to make sure we answer all questions before moving forward. Test drive was awesome, love the drive and handling!
edmonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #23

I don't know why the don't make the 40bh with the apposing couch and loveseat as another option. It is a better layout for a family of more than 4.

Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #24

X2 Mike. We just purchased a 2014 400BH and you can't sleep more than one on the L shaped sofa. I plan to build a removable extension to put in place so I can sleep 2 on the L shaped sofa, then just remove it during the day.
MotoxDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #25
7 Year Class A RV'er

Our Legacy is just over 39' and we tow a Wrangler Unlimited with the 340 hp. First two trips were Orlando to Pigeon Forge, via Columbia. No problems at all, plenty of power.

Those LED lights are going bad everywhere. Look for dim ones, too. If you turn the lens and remove it, you may see part of the LEDs not working. Typical issue.

Before you take off, check the spindle nuts on your wipers. They have a tendency to leave them loose at the factory. Not fun when the wiper arms fly off the side of the windshield while going down the highway.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the new coach.

PS: If you're near Columbia again, check out Barnyard RV park on the west side of town. We've stayed there twice for one night stopovers. Sort of a strange location as it's adjacent to the Barnyard a Flea Market but the sites are roomy, place us quiet and well maintained.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamper View Post
my wife and i are staying at one of those cheesy roadside campgrounds ( this one is about 35 miles from the dealership) for a long weekend to check out the systems. Everything good the first 24 hours. We are missing a pull down shade by the dinette and one of the ceiling lights are out . Nothing big thus far. This is my first DP and I gotta say that the drive and ride is fantastic. Quieter and smoother than what i was accustomed to . Nice motor home , indeed !
Congratulations on your new coach - enjoy!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #27
BobbyJ

We pick ours up on or around March 29. Can't wait. We may try to stay at Woodchip, that is only 2.5 miles from Motorhomes 2 Go to test camp the new rig. Hey, did you know you don't get sunscreens on the front window areas? Just found out myself. Motorhomes 2 Go is quoting them to add. Just thought I would mention it. Drove one last week at another dealer. Sweet. Also the bay doors are very solid, unlike the Sportscoach. I thought the (2) upper dash fans were noisy too in the 38A. We can get you more info after March 29th, so keep in touch. Bob and Linda (State College, PA)
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #28

The 38A is a very well built DP.No,the AC over the bed is quiet and just adds white noise.Having the half bath is great while on the move,the wood work is above standard,the bunks are comfortable even when on the move(reminds me of bunks on sub.)with dvd players to watch or listen to music.The couch opens to a full size bed (just added a topper)that sleeps two adults.The dinette can sleep two people if under 6ft tall.All in All we have found the 38A a great deal for the price.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post
Hey, did you know you don't get sunscreens on the front window areas? Just found out myself.
Hi Bob & Linda,

I believe this (among other things) is what differentiates a standard Berk from a XL & XLT
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #30

Hey, we will be right behind you Bobbyj, (Picking up our 38A on 4/4) We were planning on staying at the Hidden Ridge RV Resort. But I may check out Woodchip now that you mentioned it. Would you be gone by the 4th? BTW - on this thread, bought this unit because we love the layout.
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #31

Picked up our new Berk 38A on March 4 and just got back from our first trip (300 miles both ways). Can't comment on MPG since we were delayed 2 1/2 hours by a bus rollover on the way down but I'm sure the mileage was better than 10. Woke up after the first night to discover we were locked in. The lock had broken. Took the local sheriff's deputy and a locksmith to get us out. FR roadside assistance was great! Spent the rest of the trip with a hole in the front door and part of the mechanism held together with ties. Instant waterheater didn't work for crap. Then after four days drove home with a 25-35 crosswind gusting to 50. Sounds bad but we actually had a great time. Don't expect everything to be perfect straight from the dealer. She in the shop getting everything fixed at present. Looking forward to a great summer and fall.
Bottomline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomline View Post
Picked up our new Berk 38A on March 4 and just got back from our first trip (300 miles both ways). Can't comment on MPG since we were delayed 2 1/2 hours by a bus rollover on the way down but I'm sure the mileage was better than 10. Woke up after the first night to discover we were locked in. The lock had broken. Took the local sheriff's deputy and a locksmith to get us out. FR roadside assistance was great! Spent the rest of the trip with a hole in the front door and part of the mechanism held together with ties. Instant waterheater didn't work for crap. Then after four days drove home with a 25-35 crosswind gusting to 50. Sounds bad but we actually had a great time. Don't expect everything to be perfect straight from the dealer. She in the shop getting everything fixed at present. Looking forward to a great summer and fall.
Wow!! Sounds like a wild maiden voyage for sure!! The only good thing about problems like that is now you will never be at a loss for campfire conversation topics! I hope they can get everything fixed and get you back on the road soon!
Welcome to the Berkshire family! Keep us posted!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #33
BobbyJ

In the next few weeks two more 2016 38A's will take their maiden voyage. Both will ship out from Grand Rapids, MI. I understand these rigs are unsinkable, so I am not worried even a little. I would be interested in some details on the water heater problems, however. The DW will slap me into a Hampton in about 4 seconds if that baby has a hiccup!! Remember roughing it in a MH means digging into the tool box. I bought my first MH from MHSRV. I now know why they included a 100 piece tool box before they sent us up the road.

Bobby and Linda J
State College, PA
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post
In the next few weeks two more 2016 38A's will take their maiden voyage. Both will ship out from Grand Rapids, MI. I understand these rigs are unsinkable, so I am not worried even a little. I would be interested in some details on the water heater problems, however. The DW will slap me into a Hampton in about 4 seconds if that baby has a hiccup!! Remember roughing it in a MH means digging into the tool box. I bought my first MH from MHSRV. I now know why they included a 100 piece tool box before they sent us up the road.

Bobby and Linda J
State College, PA
Hi Bobbyj!! You are going to love your new 38A!! It is a great, well made motorhome! As far as the water heater, it takes a little getting used to. I think what most people have found is if when showering (if possible) leave the water flowing just a little. That helps keep the temp even. Now of course if you are boondocking you can't always let the water run, but in that case take hand help part down, run water on feet first until you get the water temp right, then rinse body.
We bought our MH from MHSRV too. My husband loves that 100 piece tool set! I guess the best way to never need tools is to keep a 100 piece tool set with you, and of course, buy a quality MH like a Berkshire!!
Welcome to the Berkshire family!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 03-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #35

We are picking ours up in Grand Rapids in 5 Days 21 Hours 36 Minutes

Oh, but who's counting...

Countdown Timer - Countdown to Apr 4, 2016 9:00 AM in Grand Rapids
Old 03-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb920 View Post

Great! Welcome to the Berk family. Who's your salesman?

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #37

Forgot to mention one other mishap on the maiden voyage. Grandson managed to break one of the doors to the bunkhouse. Somehow expected that to happen since the doors seem a bit light and also a bit awkward. Since I don't plan to use the bunks for storage, I'm thinking about taking the doors off completely. I can always put them back on if I ever sell the coach. Anybody else have this problem or have any thoughts.
Bottomline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Great! Welcome to the Berk family. Who's your salesman?

Rich
Evan - So Far... So Good...
Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Evan - So Far... So Good...
I got my first coach, a class c Jayco from him. Great guy. He will treat you well. Enjoy that new coach!

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #40

Quote:

Yes, waiting is the hardest part, but oh sooooooo worth it!
Keep us posted and don't forget to bring a DVD with you to your PDI to check the DVD players!!
Congrats!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad

« NASCAR | 38a gauges »