Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

portable generator

Anyone have any experience with the 3K watt portable generator sold on this site : Scooter Wholesales | Top quality gas & electric scooters. Home of the fastest 1200 watt electric scooter & we have the lowest price guaranteed or we beat the price. ??

Thinking of one of these (or maybe a Honda gen) as it will run MUCH cheaper, than the 8000K Onan that came with my coach. And MUCH quieter too!!

Boowho??

P.S. Sorry for the obscenely long link. That's not the way I typed it in!!
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I don't think you would be happy with one because:
65db is loud. Compare to Champion or Honda at 53db.
Output is 2700 and no option to parallel
No 30amp RV plug
For your size motor home, at least look at Honda EU7000is $4000 and 300#.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Check the specs ( actual numbers) for this and the Honda 2000. Text says just a quiet as a Honda. Honda spec is 59db this one is 65db. Basically 4 times as loud. Also fuel usage is very different.
6 month warranty vs 1yr. Can be returned if not happy, but where does return need to be shipped (US???) They are an importer. My vote is for the Honda or Yamaha

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #4

"If it sounds too good be true, it probably is."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Just reading their description they are WAY overselling it and making outrageous quotes. Misrepresenting any product in any form is a definite red flag for me to run the other way.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #6

Seems like just something else to have to "deal" with ... How abt seeing if you can better insulate the gen that's in your Berk...

Mine's just now that loud .... I've been in NP campgrounds that have the quiet times and at 8 AM when everyone can fire up their gens, mine was one of the quietest ones there....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I don't think you would be happy with one because:
65db is loud. Compare to Champion or Honda at 53db.
Output is 2700 and no option to parallel
No 30amp RV plug
For your size motor home, at least look at Honda EU7000is $4000 and 300#.
So, you'd buy a Champion?? They are REALLY cheap compared to Honda.

Obviously, Honda and Yamaha are probably the best, but are getting up far enough in price that I can just go solar.

Thanks to all.

Boowho??
Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Seems like just something else to have to "deal" with ... How abt seeing if you can better insulate the gen that's in your Berk...

Mine's just now that loud .... I've been in NP campgrounds that have the quiet times and at 8 AM when everyone can fire up their gens, mine was one of the quietest ones there....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Noted...... Just terribly thirsty on diesel. I figured that if running the gen overnight to keep AC running, it is cheaper to check in to a commercial campgound at around $40 per night.

If I seem stingy, remember that I don't use my coach a few nights a year. When you are a fulltimer, $40 per night adds up to a huge chunk of money.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 AM   #9

I have a Honda 3000 inverter generator- and dry camp a lot. running it 24 hours- heat and light load 3 gallons per day. With one 15,000 btu ac- 6 gallons per day. Super quite but you will have to deal with gas cans- I also think you will need the 3000 to run the ac.
one last thing- the 3000 is heavy for one person to move.
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #10

I have the Champion 3100 Inverter. Paid $850. It runs my 15K A/C just fine. It weighs 85# and I can move it myself. I run it mounted on a rear deck attached to my 30' travel trailer and when inside its quiet enough that we barely hear it. Noise spec wise its equal to the 3000 Honda inverter and less than half the price. Its also quieter than running a pair of 2000s (but the pair is easier to move and offers the option to just run one if you don't need the A/C.)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Noted...... Just terribly thirsty on diesel. I figured that if running the gen overnight to keep AC running, it is cheaper to check in to a commercial campgound at around $40 per night.

If I seem stingy, remember that I don't use my coach a few nights a year. When you are a fulltimer, $40 per night adds up to a huge chunk of money.

I don't know which model Generator your coach has, but the specs for Onan's 8.0HDKAK show .13gph@idle, and .49gph @half load. Assuming approximately 1/3 load (your looking at 3k portable gens), you should be using about .35gph of diesel. This comes to about 8.4 gallons per 24 hours while running the AC.

According to Hondas own specs, their 3000i Generator would use about the same .35gph to .4gph (.43gph @ full load (2.6k)), and is rated at the about the same db (65) at that load.

Diesel is typically more expensive than gasoline these days, but not by all that much. Plus you then have to store, secure, maintain, and transport that portable gen (and it's fuel) too. Depending on which model you get, it may or may not have an electric start. If it does, you may or may not be able to start it from inside your coach. Runtime on the Honda 3000i is 3.6 hours at full load (which your AC unit will be close to), so you will either have to get up in the middle of the night to refuel or add an extended run tank system.

As to solar (only because you mentioned it vs the cost of a Honda Generator), even if a solar system that would run your AC and fit on your coach existed, where you be when the sun goes down or the clouds come out?

Don't get me wrong, I like the way your thinking (I do the same), but it seems like you may be missing a lot of "cons" to this, as well as expecting more of a return on investment than you will actually see.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #12

If you do still want to go with a portable Gen (or 2), than you may consider the Smarter Tools AP-2000i. It's priced comparable to the Champion but is built with the Yamaha YZ80 engine (same engine as the Yamaha 2000w inverter generator), is parallel capable (you would need 2 to run your AC), has the same 3 year warranty as the Honda and Yamaha, and the same decibel ratings.

Smarter Tools Don't work harder. Work smarter.

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
Site Team

I would investigate repair/warranty service locations.
Per warranty Want to make sure you are not sending to far east.
" Transportation charges to send products to an authorized warranty repair facility shall be the responsibility of the Purchaser. All
returned goods shall be at the Purchaser’s risk and expense"

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I would investigate repair/warranty service locations.
Per warranty Want to make sure you are not sending to far east.
" Transportation charges to send products to an authorized warranty repair facility shall be the responsibility of the Purchaser. All
returned goods shall be at the Purchaser’s risk and expense"

A very good point! This is kind of along the lines of why I also posted the Costco link. Costco's written return policy is pretty much the same as any other retailers, but their practiced returns system is much better (for those who use it anyway...I'm real bad about not returning ANYTHING...even when I should)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #15

Boo I think Ernest is in the right track. You have full access to the compartment and there are some very good sound proofing products available. To carry gas and deal with storing another gen seems like a major hassle.
I understand the 40.00$ a night as we full time also. Maybe adding an extra set of batteries and some solar. Also switching to all LEDs. Of course you wouldn't be able to run AC on battery power. We have a good gen on board I don't think a gas model will save you money in the long run.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 AM   #16

A little follow-up to my endorsement of the Champion 3100. It's available now as a remote electric start model and as of Feb.2015, Pinellas has created an external fuel flow kit. There's a YouTube showing the option running and installed by Pinellas. The exclusive sales for the combo are at BottomLineTradingCompany.com (of Marble Falls Texas). Tommy is the owner and he will sell a 3100 electric start with Pinellas extended fuel option pre-installed for $1,250 (Texas sales taxes apply, (512)902-3397). For what it's worth, I have absolutely no connection, personal or business wise with either Pinellas or BLT, just think it's a very nice product at a very nice price.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo I think Ernest is in the right track. You have full access to the compartment and there are some very good sound proofing products available. To carry gas and deal with storing another gen seems like a major hassle.
I understand the 40.00$ a night as we full time also. Maybe adding an extra set of batteries and some solar. Also switching to all LEDs. Of course you wouldn't be able to run AC on battery power. We have a good gen on board I don't think a gas model will save you money in the long run.
Too ALL of you that suggested just using that builtin 8K watt Onan, I've come to the conclusion that I'll just stick with it (only) until I check further for ROI and also how SERIOUS we are on doing LOTS of boondocking.

Boowho??
Old 02-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post

Don't get me wrong, I like the way your thinking (I do the same), but it seems like you may be missing a lot of "cons" to this, as well as expecting more of a return on investment than you will actually see.
Thanks for your astute comments.

And as to your comment on cloudy days.....

Well, I rarely go where there aren't clear blue skies, at least 330 days out of the year.

We're in Yuma, AZ right now.

Bowho??
Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #19

Look at the kohler inverter generator. It is the most quite on market. I may be biased cause I'm a kolher dealer but they are in fact 2 dB quieter than honda
Old 03-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvr4 View Post
Look at the kohler inverter generator. It is the most quite on market. I may be biased cause I'm a kolher dealer but they are in fact 2 dB quieter than honda
Thank your for your input.... I will check them out and get back to you. Perhaps I could even purchase from you if shipping charges are not prohibitive.

Boowho??

Tags
generator