Old 02-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #1

Power Cord Access

We took delivery of a 2020 Berkshire 45A on Friday. We absolutely love the coach but I came across something that baffles me and I wanted to see if anyone else has the same issue. In the basement bay where the power cord reel is, there is a covered access port in the floor that the power cord should go through to get to the outside of the bay.

The problem is that the port isn't large enough for the power cord to pass through. It is the same as the round water hose port in the wet bay - maybe 3" in diameter with a small cutout in the lid for the cord itself to pass through while keeping the critters out. The power plug, however, is too large to pass through the hole.

Our previous coaches have all had a square-shaped port that is plenty large for the power cord to pass through.

Any other Berkshire owners have this issue? I'm thinking the factory installed the wrong access port in ours.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post

The problem is that the port isn't large enough for the power cord to pass through.
I have the same undersized port. It takes a bit of practice, but if you pass the plug though at an angle (sort of prongs first and then rotate it through), it'll make it. I toyed with the idea of putting a larger port in there, but once I learned the trick, I sort of forgot about it . . .
Lots of fun at 38 degrees with a cold 50 A cord!!
Welcome to the Berkies!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
I have the same undersized port. It takes a bit of practice, but if you pass the plug though at an angle (sort of prongs first and then rotate it through), it'll make it. I toyed with the idea of putting a larger port in there, but once I learned the trick, I sort of forgot about it . . .
Lots of fun at 38 degrees with a cold 50 A cord!!
Welcome to the Berkies!
Thank you! I guess I'll have to try a little harder. I ended up taking one of my Camco 50 amp extension cords and cutting the handle-loop off of the plug and that fit through the hole. I sure would like to use the built in cord though!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #4

Go to a Marine supply store and purchase a larger deck port.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post
Thank you! I guess I'll have to try a little harder.
It's one of those things that seems impossible at first, but once you get the hang of it, you don't even think about it (except on 38 degree evenings/mornings!!). I never went to the trouble of enlarging the port because it just became a non-issue . . .
Old 02-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #6

Mine is the same way also. Run the power up to about 6” away and then just wiggle the end through. You will get the hang of it.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
2017 Heartland Landmark 365
1989 Winnebago Super Chief
Nightshifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 AM   #7

Our 2019 XLT 43C is the same way . It just takes a little time to get used to how you have to “wiggle” it through.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #8

I also got tired of wrestling the giant python also known as the power cord. Installed a marine power outlet in the compartment so the cord is detachable. Made it so much easier.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I went back out after work tonight and I was able to work it through. Apparently I gave up a little too easily!
Old 09-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

I can manage to get my cord through the opening, but it is awkward. My previous motorhome had a "notch" opening that allowed the cord to pass through without fishing the plug though a hole opening. This was much more convenient, has anyone made a modification that would allow this type of opening?

Terry
taquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #11

Reel?

Wait, you have a reel for the cord? Im coiling mine up on the bottom of the compartment.
Can you attach a picture of that?
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:50 AM   #12

No I do not have a reel. I just coil the cord in the compartment. It was much easier in my Tiffin to just uncoil then insert the cord into the channel, then close the door. I did not have to feed it thorough the round hatch, much easier when dis connecting as well.

Terry
Old 09-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #13
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquarium View Post
I can manage to get my cord through the opening, but it is awkward. My previous motorhome had a "notch" opening that allowed the cord to pass through without fishing the plug though a hole opening. This was much more convenient, has anyone made a modification that would allow this type of opening?

Terry
We Actually just switched to what we call an EZ power cord entry on all of our 2021.5 models.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
Diesel Rep West Coast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	239197
Old 09-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #15

Upgrade

How much for the upgrade?
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #16

Eric,

Is this something that could be added to my 2020 39A? I can do much of the maintenance on my unit, is this something where I can cut the channel and bolt on the finish piece that accepts the cord?

Terry
Old 09-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #17

I honestly don’t see the problem. My plug goes through the hole without any trouble. I reel the cord to within 3” and pull the plug up through, then snap the lid shut sealing up the access.
2016 Ford F350 Platnium
2017 Heartland Landmark 365
1989 Winnebago Super Chief
Nightshifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #18
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquarium View Post
Eric,

Is this something that could be added to my 2020 39A? I can do much of the maintenance on my unit, is this something where I can cut the channel and bolt on the finish piece that accepts the cord?

Terry
Let me check with Engineering on what all had to change for this to be added.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #19

I bought a Hughes Autoformer to manage my power. It is the portable kind. So, I put it in my electrical bay. That required cutting the motorhome power cord and putting new ends on the cord to create an extension type of cord. If you select the plugs carefully to have the flip up puller rather than the big Camco grip, then they easily go through the port.

BTW, to make room for the height of the Autoformer, I had to cut a hole in the floor of the bay and fashioned a drop saddle that provided the extra height.

It is much more convenient to coil up the power cord as an extension cord and store it in my main storage bay. And my expensive Autoformer is securely stored and used out of the rain inside my electrical bay.

—Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...qs-191578.html
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #20
Diesel Rep West Coast

So I just talked with our engineering manager and His concern with retro fiting this bracket comes down to having the ability to properly cut out the metal in the bay, for installing. We actually had to adjust our chassis skirt to integrate this part. While yes we could sell you the part, the installation could be a huge issue.

Tags
power