Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #1

Unhappy Power entry step

Has anyone had problems w/their entry step? Mine started making a lot of noise and not working towards the end of our trip. Albany RV has not responded to my messages so I do not plan to use them for warranty work. Does anyone know of other Forest River dealers in the lower part of NY. I have an appt. for Campers Barn, Kingston, NY next Tuesday in which I have to leave the unit and they state it should be ready the following SAt. They are a little more than 1hour from me just exploring options. My windows sound a little noisy but that may be me.
With 2500 miles, 30 hours on the generator is there anything else I should have them check?
Debbie
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #2

Debbie,
Have you tried lubricating the steps? I would get a can of spray white grease and spray all of the connection joints on the steps and the mechanism underneath the steps where the motor cam is connected to the motor. After lubrication, operate the steps a couple of times and see if the lubrication helps. The steps need to be lubricated periodically to keep them working properly. I would try this first.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #3

Tom,
Is the can of spray white grease like wd-40? Or ask for spray white grease? I have no knowledge and I feel handicapped that I have to ask what some things are. I am very grateful that everyone on this forum is so helpful. I am learning so much and I hope one day I can pass it forward to help someone else.
Thanks-Debbie
Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Debbie,

We have issues with our step also, but ours are electrical issues. Sometimes the step works and sometimes it doesn't. When the step doesn't work neither does the passenger power foot rest. Buffalo RV has it right now along with the other usual first time out issues. Nothing major, but just what one would expect from the RV. I'm surprised that Albany RV is not responsive to the warranty issues. You may want to take that issue up with Forest River and see what they have to say.

Ed
Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

Debbie,
Yes, it is a similar can to WD-40. WD-40 is not really a lubricant and doesn't last all that long. For the power steps I use the white grease lubricant. Last much longer and is a much better lubricant than WD-40. I believe you can get the white grease at any auto parts store.
Hope that the grease helps solve your issue with the steps.
Tom

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #6

Hi Debbie,
While you have the rig at the dealership you should get them to do an initial service on your generator - you indicate that you have 30 hours. I think Onan recommends a first basic serivce (oil change) at about 20 hours.
I had mine done at 25 hours. It was about $50 for the service.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

Tom-I will try the lubricant. Who do you use for your warranty work?
Ed-So far only the power step. I will have them check the vents in the front as well.
Bubba-Thanks for the intial info. For some reason I was thinking 50hours but that is probably after the break in period.
Albany RV service does not answer the phone and on 2 occaisions I left messages one for service and 1 for prep and neither returned my call. I am happy w/my unit and hopefully will find a dealer closer. Out of warranty I plan to use the local rv shop who rents class c winnebagos. He is certified for sales and service for onan generators and right in town. I am thinking about taking some local automotive classes to get more familiar with this whole new world of travel!
Thanks-Debbie
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #8

Debbie,
There is a Winnebago dealer here on Long Island that is about 30 mins from me. He is a small shop but has been in business for over 20 years.
Hope the lubricant solves your step problem. I also believe that the maintenance on the genny should be done after 50 hours of initial use. Don't know why Albany RV is not returning calls. You would think that they would want to keep customers happy.
Regards,
Tom

Old 07-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #9

Hi Tom,
Regarding generator break-in and initial service, Cummins Onan recommends an initial oil change after the first 20 hours - then it is every 150 hours provided you are not running it a lot in hot or dusty environments.
See link below.

Cummins Onan RV Generator Maintenance
Old 07-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #10

I stand corrected. I had thought for the 8k diesel genset that the first change was at 50 hours.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #11

Tom,
No worries - I wasn't even aware of the break-in and initial service until I took my rig in for some warranty work and the dealer suggested I service my genset. When the service writer said 20 hours I questioned it because it seemed too soon. That's when I went to the Cummins Onan site and found the info.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #12

Deb,

For lubricating your steps I would highly reccomend a silicone lubricant rather than an oil based lubricant (WD-40). Reason being is that oil will attract dust and dirt and only further complicate things in the long run. WD40 is great for things not subjected to frequent road grime and dirt. The manufacturer of our slide and leveling systems recommends spraying the exposed rams of the hyraulic actuators with a silicone lubricant once a week (I kinda wonder if that is excessive) as it wont hold onto dirt and dust. You can get it at several places including Camping world. Look around for the best price.

Protect All Slide-out Dry Lubricant
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #13

I dropped my rig off for service and checking the manual for my generator the 1st change is 50 hours. I am having the step fixed (a part is broken) and I asked that they do an inspection to check everything. I also ordered 2 vent covers. It is a 2 person shop but they do warranty work for Forest River and Jayco as well as most of the appliances and they are close to a freighliner service center as well. Because I am not mechanically inclined I know I will have to pay for maintenance but because I received feedback from this forum and motorhome magazine I think I found someone who will help me maintain my rig.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #14

This past Thursday 7-15 I was getting ready to head to the lake for the weekend and noticed my step did not retract. Went to the Kwikee website to download the trouble shooting guide. Followed directions from the guide with no luck. Called the Kwikee 1-800 # and got the recording that this is no longer a usable #. Called Forest River and found out that Kwikee was bought out.

I pulled the pin that connects the control arm to the step and was able to bungee cord the step up in place so we could head out. I will do research next week to find out what I have to do to get it fixed.

Debbie, has your step been fixed yet?

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #15

Not yet hopefully the beginning of next week. A part on mine is broken off so the step retracts but makes a loud noise.
Have a great weekend.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #16

2 wrenches and some logic and you can fix the noise with the step. The joint needs to be tightened. My dealer used a boat load of washers to fill the gap but if you get under and look up. Have someone open and close the door a few times. You'll see the nuts to adjust and it's pretty simple.
brevin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #17

Kwikee was bought out by Actuant. Called Actuant and they stated Power Gear handles the warranty on the power entry step. Called Power Gear and they stated that I will have to take the coach to an approved repair facility. The repair facility would have to troubleshoot the problem and notify Power Gear of their findings. Then Power Gear would either approve/disapprove the repair. I told Power Gear that I had already performed the troubleshooting and that the motor was the problem. Power Gear stated that I still had to take it to a repair facility for troubleshooting analysis. The closest repair shop is 80 miles away. I bought a motor online for $75 shipping included. It would be cheaper to do this than to drive 80 miles each way.
I received the motor this past Friday and installed it. The step is working great.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #18

I should send them the photo of the repairs performed by DYLANS RV IN NJ, (oops) and let them score the repair work that the dealer did on mine. I would have to use the Macro function on the camera to focus on the 9 little washers they inserted to jury rig the step so I would take delivery on time. Maybe they would let your self performed repair work slide then. Probably the same guy that wired my 2-line satellite with only 1 cable and said 2 receivers probably wouldn't work because of the length of the wire runs. (Sorry, wrong forum for this, but it gets frustrating when we're the ones dropping 200K and finding cut corners or nickle/dime issues all over)
brevin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #19
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Our step is still haunted. When we are parked we will have the step switch off. Several hours after we settled in for the evening we would hear the step retract. When that happened the footrest stopped working. Then suddenly it would start working again and the step would come out the way it was supposed to. I think there is a gremlin living in my step!

Tags
berkshire