Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Power step help

I have an issue with my power step - goes I and out on its own as I'm driving down the road... I can hear it cycling as I'm driving....

Doesn't do it all the time but it does it quite often.... Hate driving down the road with my step out... Afraid I might take out a bike rider on the side of the road....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

step problems

First comment ... the Coach Step from Lippert Compontents Inc that are used on these units are very prone to problems ... although this is the first time that I have heard this particular issue.

Have you tries turning off the step switch before you start driving. This may solve you problem. The more common problem is cause by the motor failing to sense full extension and full retraction ... causing the step to cycle several times before coming to rest. Your problem may be related.

lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Steelhorzz

Bad steps....

I have a Georgetown 360 that we purchased 5 months ago. The first time out, one of the bolts "sheared" that hold the step hinges together as I was exiting the coach. That was a Shocker! Nearly fell on my face. Went to a hardware store, for some parts, and did a quick repair.

Our last trip, I was exiting to purchase gas at a flying J, and the step kept repeating a "clunking" sound, as it "cycled". when it stopped the steps would not stay out in place.

When I closed the door, the same sound occurred as it tried to pull itself back up in place. Again, when the cycle was over, the steps were "hanging" down a bit, NOT tightly up in place.

I crawled underneath, tied them up with Zip-ties and bungee cords, wrapped around the hinge sections. And just to be on the safe side. disconnected the power lead.

checked it out at the camp that evening and it appears the gear mechanism is either chipped / lost some teeth, or somehow is misaligned.

We spent the rest of the trip making sure we didn't open the door, and break our necks on that first BIG step! - LOL

So what's wrong?? I'll find out next week, the RV is at the dealer for a laundry list of warranty repairs. The steps being one of them.

I never did like the way the 3 steps "Flexed", when you use it. So on amazon I purchased 2 items for future use.

Camco 43691 7"-14" RV Save-A-Step Brace
(I mounted the brace to a board to slide under the bottom step)

and a
Safety Step F-08C-BLK 14" x 19" Black Large Folding Safety Step

(just in case)

I'll let ya know what the dealer says is wrong with my step and what they are doing to fix it! He is supposed to call me next week with an update on all the repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91vJcwTJYXL__SL1500_.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	37316   Click image for larger version

Name:	41Sfqvu7tQL.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	37317  
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

I went outside to check the front door and the accuator that makes the step extend and retract. It seems to be magnetic. There is no visible switch. Your problem might be related to the contact that occurs when the door opens and closes.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
I went outside to check the front door and the accuator that makes the step extend and retract. It seems to be magnetic. There is no visible switch. Your problem might be related to the contact that occurs when the door opens and closes.
On the Lippert steps, the controller senses the high current when the motor stalls at the end of travel. That what shuts it off.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

You might also check...
With the step extended and the switch turned off, crawl under the unit and check the pivot bolt to see if it is tight. It requires a large allen wrench and is prone to coming loose. Its a simple system that employs a power window motor and gears that pivot around a large bolt. Be careful
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

On my 2011 390BH my step rattles so much it sound like it is going to fall off the coach. I have checked all the bolt and everything is tight it just makes a lot of noise. anyone else have this problem?
csichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Quote:
Originally Posted by csichoice View Post
On my 2011 390BH my step rattles so much it sound like it is going to fall off the coach. I have checked all the bolt and everything is tight it just makes a lot of noise. anyone else have this problem?
Yep. Got the same issue on my 2011 390bh. My tech guy tells me the problem is caused by the thickness of the mat that is on the step that I added. It needs to be super thin or none. I and having the motor replaced. Seems that the rattle is a sign of the motor is going bad.

doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote