Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #1

Thumbs down Problems with 2011 BH

I have been extremely disappointed with the condition of this new RV. Clearly poor workmanship from the dealer and the manufacturer. To start with, electronic transmission shift motor failed leaving me permanently in drive, had to be repaired. Had TV added in the front and the hardware used to mount it was clearly just wood that the dealer had lying around, dirty 2x4's, rough cut, just ugly. Satellite dish has 2 feeds but the dealer only ran 1 wire and then played stupid when I asked if both receivers were going to work. All 9 screws on the table were stripped and had to be replaced when the table was about to fall off the wall. Ice maker was not connected in the back and water ran for a month before I figured it out. Front step was out of adjustment and when I went under to check, the dealer had tried to hide it by placing 9 (yes 9) washers on it to juryrig it. Passenger side storage compartment doors pop open when I make a hard left, trying to fix it but can't find the appropriate star drive tool to fit. Driver side compartment shell on door frame (stuck with glue) is coming unglued making the door very flimsy and structurally unsound, and you guessed it, pops open too. Big bubble on the kitchen slide out that is behind the laminate, so not really a surface bubble, don't know how I missed in at the dealer. Driver window had too much caulking in the groove and won't stay locked. Much of this has been handled by me, still working on some. I am not impressed with forest River right now, my Gulfstream needed 2 oil changes in the first year. There's more, I just don't want to perceived as a complainer. Would not recommend this model to anyone right now, too many problems for $210,000
brevin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #2

brevint66,
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing so many issues with your new coach. The transmission problem is something that neither Forest River or the dealer could be blamed for since Freightliner built the chassis and installed those components. The sloppy tv installation, satellite dish, and the step repair are all because the dealer didn't take the time to fix the problems correctly. As for the passenger side compartment, did you try to adjust the 'loop' where the latch catches on the body? There are nuts that can be loosened to adjust the loop so that the tongue grabs better. Not sure what 'shell' door you are speaking about that is glued and where the bubble is but these should be taken care of under warranty. If you have a rv dealer that is near by and is not the selling dealer, you can call Forest River and they will probably let you take it to that dealer, pay for the repairs there and then submit you bill to Forest River. They will reimburse you for what you paid for the repairs. I too have taken care of a number of small repairs myself, including stripped screws. I think that you will find that there will be problems with any manufactures coach that need to be handled.
Hang in and let us know how you like your coach after it has settled in.
Good luck with your coach.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #3

brevint66,
I am really sorry to hear about your troubles. I do not know anything about repairs but it sounds like the prep people at your dealer did a very poor job on some of the aftermarket installations and did not check out the rig before you took it. When I went to get my unit the prep guy had the fridge on and had made ice in the icemaker. My power step broke on the way home from NC. I called the service dept at my dealer and left messages for the step and another issue and they never returned my call. Because of this forum and motorhome magazine forum I found a 2 person shop closer to home who are a service center for FR who will be servicing my rig. My sales guy and the finance were great at my dealer but not happy with their service. If you are not happy w/this dealer contact FR diesel warranty division to complain and put your warranty to work to get it the way it should be.I only drove my unit to NC and did not stay in it. This week will be my shakedown trip to find out what I have and what needs to be fixed. This is the place to vent, to get adive and to get support.
Keep us posted.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #4

The skirt around the bottom of the RV, which is basically the storage compartments are actually structural doors with metal/aluminum skins adhered to the outside of them. The skin gives the otherwise flimsy door, structural strength. If the adhesive begins to fail, so does the structure. The door wobbles like the screws are loose, but they are not.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #5

Didn't realize that the doors were 2 pieces where the skin was glued to the door. Thought that they were one piece doors. They sound very solid when closing them though.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #6

They are very solid when the glue is stuck, just not when it isn't. Marvels of physics
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

Maybe you should notify Forest River's diesel warranty administrator. They might possibly send new, painted doors to you. You could tell them that you will install the doors so that they won't be hit with labor charges for the install.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #8

Good idea, thanks. I'm just getting past the venting stage and into the problem solving phase of this. I'm sure it is going to all work out, I just can't help but have 2nd thoughts about this purchase. Closest dealer is 100 miles, so I'm trying to get my eggs in a row. Was hoping the row wasn't going to be quite this long. Love the RV overall though, as a matter of fact, my company has the equipment to print large graphic decal logos etc. I am putting my family crest in the center above the windshield when I get home to personalize it a little. Thanks again
Old 07-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #9

I'm surprised the doors are glued. I would think they would be riveted or welded to the door frame.

What type of glue is used?
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #10

Not sure, looks like a 2 part, base and reactive. Maybe mine got wet or something because it's only 1 door and if I really lean into it, it sticks, and the door becomes rigid, but it then loosens. Too much hassle for a 2011 RV
Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #11

So sad to hear that FR is going down hill. Seems no one cares anymore. They steal your $$ and run.
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire