Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

Propane Question

I have a 2012 360-FWS and there is a propane outlet on the right side, which is commonly used for fueling a grille from the main tank. I am planning on an extended stay in one spot in the coach from January to April, and I was wondering if I could buy the appropriate hose/adapter, and hook up a 5 gallon external tank to that outlet, so that gas can be fed into the system for use by the heater and stove. That would then add/supplement the main 24.5 gallon tank, so I could run longer without having to refill the gas. Has anybody done this? Will that work?
Thanks for any feedback.
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

I would have to look at how mine if rigged up, but if that connection ties into the same system that feeds the stove and heater, then it is possible to close off the 24 gal. tank and feed the system from there. As long as the portable bottle has the right regulator on it.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

Not really, you need the gas to go through the regulator to lower the pressure first.
If you can do that, then it is possible
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Old Enough to Know Better

As long as there is a regulator on the spare tank you can back feed thru the quick disconnect. No regulator no work plus damaged appliances.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Not really, you need the gas to go through the regulator to lower the pressure first.
If you can do that, then it is possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
As long as there is a regulator on the spare tank you can back feed thru the quick disconnect. No regulator no work plus damaged appliances.
As others pointed out, you would need to regulate the tank backfeeding thru the BBQ grill low pressure connection, since it is downstream of the regulator at the RV cylinders

They make what are called propane extend-a-stay kits designed specifically for the purpose you have, and a simple solution. They serve a dual function, which will allow you to hook up an auxiliary propane cylinder.... as well as hook up to a grill/stove that has a built in regulator (which you may not have a use for that part)

EDIT: They make several types of these kits for different cylinder types and motorhomes/TT's. This is just an example to show the premise.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/50525.htm

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

The extend-a-stay kit is the easy answer (approx $90). We hook up a 30 lb auxiliary propane tank to the Berk for the 5 months we are in Florida. When we need a fill, just unhook and leave it in front of MH. Campground people pick it up, fill it and bring it back. Can't get any easier.

ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

I would be amazed if this is possible since the Propane hookup is downstream of the pressure regulator. In order to fill the on board tank from a portable tank ... you would need to push backwards through a regulator.

Similarly ... In order to run barbecue etc off the coach you must first remove only attached regulators. I learned this one the hard way.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #8

He's not trying to fill the onboard tank. He wants to rig up the portable tank to run his stove and heater.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I would be amazed if this is possible since the Propane hookup is downstream of the pressure regulator. In order to fill the on board tank from a portable tank ... you would need to push backwards through a regulator.

Similarly ... In order to run barbecue etc off the coach you must first remove only attached regulators. I learned this one the hard way.

Sorry I wasn't clear. We run ONLY off the 30 lb portable tank for heat and cooking during our winter stay with the extend a stay hookup kit. I was referring to the ease of "filling" the portable tank when necessary.

ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK-RVer View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. We run ONLY off the 30 lb portable tank for heat and cooking during our winter stay with the extend a stay hookup kit. I was referring to the ease of "filling" the portable tank when necessary.
This wouldn't work well to fill your on board tank.

Buy an extenda stay kit or buy another 30 lb tank to swap out.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post

Agree with what you say and would also like to add more clarification:
***For Berks, the propane outlet on the passenger side is low pressure!
***The Extend-a Stay is high pressure (on the driver's side)
***Most Barbeques have a regulator and require high pressure and therefore if you connect to the low pressure, you need to remove the barbecue's regulator.
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #12

The hook up for the grill on mine shows that the flow is one direction. I don't know if the quick connect impedes the flow or if they are just saying that that is the direction it should go. I would get one of the attachments that goes where the regulator is or disconnect one of the 20 # tanks and get a hose to connect to that side of the regulator out to the larger tank.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #13

I found this video on You Tube answers the external propane set up.

http://youtu.be/jovTYfltUO0

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecopco View Post
I found this video on You Tube answers the external propane set up.

HOW TO: Connect an RV to External Propane - YouTube

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Ecopco; the video is certainly informative, but unfortunately (IMHO) it gives wrong advice for Berkshire owners.

First of all, by feeding an external low pressure source into the RV's low pressure side, the Berk's safety valve that is connected to the inside gas sensor will be compromised. If there was a gas leak, the gas sensor would shut off the RV's supply but not the external source.

Secondly, most people use propane tanks without regulators to connect to the Extend-a-Stay and do not have the problem depicted in the video.

Last of all, most Berk's at least from 2012 and up have a low pressure quick connect coupling on the patio side and don't have to run a mile of line from the driver's side for a barbecue. However, since most barbecue's require high pressure, the barbecue's regulator would have to be removed.

Hank
Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #15

I love to muddy the water ...

It seems like your underlying problem is Propane storage capacity. It it possible to either swap out your on board take with a larger one ... or perhaps have a second on installed.

My first class a was a Triple E whos engine would run on either Propane or gasoline. That unit had the standard on board tank plus a second one that was about 3 times the size.

In the case of the Triple E the two Propane tanks were not piped together but why couldn't they be?

The only downside would be wet carrying capacity ... Although the reality is that most of use travel with tanks empty anyways.

Just a thought

Tim
Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #16

I thought that this is supposed to be a Berkshire forum! Granted, anyone can participate, but solutions for other rigs are often not necessarily applicable to the Berkshire.

Hank
Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #17

Sorry, I meant "a Berkshire Thread".
Hank

2012 Berkshire 390BH
Old 11-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #18

I do own a Berkeley 390BH-60.
I am just trying to make the point that capacity appears to be the problem and a second or larger tank may be an option
Old 11-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #19

I hate auto typing .... Should read Berkshire 390BH 60

Tags
propane