Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

Propane Quick Connect

There is a propane quick connect locates in the fourth bay on the passenger side of my 390BH. Has anyone used this? I need to know what it is regulated at I want to get a hose so I can run my grill but the grill has a regulator on it already. Do I have to remove the regulator off the grill or just leave it on?
csichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

I wish I had an answer, because I have the same concerns. I was thinking of using an outside fireplace but I'm not sure of the output pressure.

JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csichoice View Post
There is a propane quick connect locates in the fourth bay on the passenger side of my 390BH. Has anyone used this? I need to know what it is regulated at I want to get a hose so I can run my grill but the grill has a regulator on it already. Do I have to remove the regulator off the grill or just leave it on?

Best have a propane hose "expert" help with it, because of the plethora of different connectors and are NOT compatible with each other. Took me about 3 incorrect configurations, until I got it right.

But removing the regulator from the grille is the basic thing that has to be done. Otherwise you're "double regulating" the propane. My Weber works great off that connection in the fourth bay.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
I wish I had an answer, because I have the same concerns. I was thinking of using an outside fireplace but I'm not sure of the output pressure.

JJ
The quick connect gas line has 1/2 pound of pressure or 11 column inches. You will need to take regulator off the stove line. Finding all the connectors to make it work could be fun. Good luck!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

Thanks! That was quick.
JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
rip

For examples of quick-connect high pressure and low pressure hoses and fittings, try this BBQ propane pit company...

Gas Quick Connect Hose / Gas Quick Connects Gas Hose Systems

I got my hose assemblies and fittings there.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Thanks for that link rip.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Thanks for that link rip.
You're welcome. They (Tejas Smokers) help educate you on the proper quick connect male/female and have ready-made quuick connect hose assemblies (I needed the low-pressure ones).

I had some difficulty finding a selection of the male/female quick connects at local specialty stores, however Lowes and Home Depot did have various 3/8 sae flair to 1/4 npt adapters much cheaper than TS.

Good luck with your conversions. I did not know it at the time, but I was smart to buy a propane bbq grill with an external regulator on a short hose. That made my quick connect project for my stainless pit a lot easier than those with internally regulated pits. I got lucky with my particular pit. By reworking that external hose connection, I can now quick connect my pit to my RV with an extension hose or quick connect to my portable propane cylinder under my folding camp table, nice flexibility.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #9

Wow! Sure glad I read this forum! I thougt that was an air line connection. Good thing i didn't try it yet!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #10

if you have the on demand water heater, watch your propane flow to your stove. i noticed when i hooked my 2 burner camp chef stove to the quick connect on my 390bh (hose without any regulator), i would see the burners fluctuate whenever the water heater kicked on while my wife was inside washing dishes or whatever in the sink. on low, my camp chef spluttered and cut out a few times because of this irregular flow. i had to switch to my standby portable tank and the regulated hose for that.

i will try it again and monitor some more to make sure this is indeed what is happening... i'll probably test with the burners in the stove too...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
if you have the on demand water heater, watch your propane flow to your stove. i noticed when i hooked my 2 burner camp chef stove to the quick connect on my 390bh (hose without any regulator), i would see the burners fluctuate whenever the water heater kicked on while my wife was inside washing dishes or whatever in the sink. on low, my camp chef spluttered and cut out a few times because of this irregular flow. i had to switch to my standby portable tank and the regulated hose for that.

i will try it again and monitor some more to make sure this is indeed what is happening... i'll probably test with the burners in the stove too...
Sounds like when I was a kid and someone flushed the toilet while you were in the shower.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #12

I am looking to purchase a Coleman LP 2 or 3 burner stove for use outside and I think the below hose is gonna do the trick. I can't find it Canada though. Would love to hear from anyone who has one.

http://www.campchef.com/rv-connection-hose.html
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry View Post
I am looking to purchase a Coleman LP 2 or 3 burner stove for use outside and I think the below hose is gonna do the trick. I can't find it Canada though. Would love to hear from anyone who has one.

RV connection hose | Camp Chef
The Coleman stove may have differant connection than Campchef to connect the gas line to the stove. I have trying to connect my Coleman up and I cannot find an adaptor to the coleman piping that goes into the connector. I'm guessing it's a metric pipe size and I can't find it locally.
If your buying a stove, I would that is already made to connect to the low pressure line off the camper. It could be cheaper.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
marialee-Berkshire410qs

I investigated getting a quick connect for my Coleman Road Trip Grill. I went to a propane dealer and from what I gathered Coleman has a regulator built in to the attachment to the grill. The propane tank from the RV also has a regulator. Thus the gas is being regulated twice and there isn't enough pressure to give a good flame.
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #15

I ran into the same issue with my Weber Q and had a local propane tech remove the regulator from the grill and replace it with a short length of propane hose with a male quick connect fitting. Also had him make a 20' lenth of propane hose with a female quick connect to hook to the new grill hose on one end and a male quick connect on the other that now easily hooks to the female quick connect that is on the MH. The flame now isnt as perfect as it was (the flame is slightly taller so the grill cooks fine except doesn't adjust as well when set for very low heat) but it still works fine (I dont need the very low heat option anyway-Im not planning on slow cooking a rack of ribs for 3 hours on it) and is very convenient to be able to put the grill almost anywhere at the campsite and a good distance away from the coach. I was determined to do this because I wanted to use the convenience of the installed propane supply on the MH and didnt like the idea of traveling with and storing additional propane tanks or cannisters.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #16

I bought a male propane quick connect to insert into the female on the 390bh but found that the male wouldn't seat. Is there a particular supplier who makes a male fitting for the Berkshire?
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #17

I had the same trouble. No propane supplier had the right fitting regardless of all my trial and error attempts. Then I found that at almost any RV dealer or supply store you could find a short 4' propane connecting hose (which must be some unique but universal weird rv quick connect fitting size) so I got one or two of those, found that it fit, and cut the ends off them. With that any rv tech can splice the hose together using the ends with the right fittings and make one or two the size you want. As a result my hoses both have a splice in them but it is perfectly fine just less pretty than I had originally thought I could make it.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #18

I bought my fitting from camping world and it seemed a perfect fit but the female end would not lock over the male. I pushed as hard as I could with no luck. Where did you buy yours?
Thanks
Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #19

Kingwood

Check the inside diameter of the new male fitting. My dealer was ablle to purchase for me an extension hose where the male fitting looked exactly the same as one I had that did fit the female fitting on the coach. The ID was slightly smaller and I took a drill and reamed out the new fitting to match the one that I new worked. After drilling to the right dimension it worked fine. I use mine for a Coleman Road Trip grill which i modified by buying a new inlet connector with the coleman regulator. Since the MH has a regulator on the gas line. I cut the regulator off the new coleman adaptor and installed via connectors a new male fitting that corresponds to the female fitting on the extension hose. All works great. If you need additional info let me know.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #20

Here is where I found the correct quick disconnect for my trailer.
Hansen, MB Sturgis 250 Low Pressure Quick Connect Plug
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote