Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

Question for those with Whirlpool Washers in their Berk

I have the front load whirlpool washer installed in my 2018 XL40C. It does move quite a bit in the spin cycle, and a comment from another user on the facebook page got me thinking about the shipping locking bolts. Due to the size of the closet that the washer and dryer are installed, it is difficult to see the back of the unit to confirm the shipping locking bolts were removed during the installation. So I wanted to check with others. the spinning drum does move from the front of the unit to the back, but it does not move left/right or up/down. It just rotates around the center axis.

I would ask those with washers installed in their coach to tell me if (when the washer is not running) they can make the drum move left/right (along horizontal plane) or up/down (along vertical plane), without spinning the drum. I do not know if this limited movement is what it is supposed to do, or if there is supposed to be some freedom for the washer drum to move horizontally and vertically, while spinning.

Thanks for your feedback. Hoping that I can validate my theory that the shipping locking bolts are still installed and by removing them, it would reduce the shaking during the spin cycle. If it was easier to remove the dryer, I would pull the dryer out and have a closer look. If anyone has ideas to remove the dryer, please share, as I would probably eventually move the dryer and double check the shipping bolts. I think I would need to remove the toilet to enable the dryer to come out.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #2

We have a 2020 45A (an early 2020 with mostly 2019 features) and I think we likely have the same model washer you do. I am able to get the drum to move slightly side to side by rocking it, but there isn't nearly as much movement as there is front to back. Our washer vibrates quite a bit during the spin cycle as well.

I've had my washer and dryer out (long story but the washer somehow went into "demo mode" while the RV was at the factory for service) for service last year. The dryer isn't all that heavy but there isn't a ton of room to move it around in our coach. The dryer is secured by a metal "strap" on top that secures to the back wall of the cabinet. There are also three screws in a bracket on the bottom face that secure it to the washer. Taking it out was pretty easy, putting it back was more of a challenge. You'll need some way to secure the metal strap on top to the ceiling (I used some velcro) in order to get the dryer back in there, and you may need a longer piece of vent hose. There wasn't enough room between the dryer and side wall for me to reconnect the existing hose after the dryer was back in place so I bought a longer hose that I could connect with the dryer still out.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernation View Post
I have the front load whirlpool washer installed in my 2018 XL40C. It does move quite a bit in the spin cycle, and a comment from another user on the facebook page got me thinking about the shipping locking bolts. Due to the size of the closet that the washer and dryer are installed, it is difficult to see the back of the unit to confirm the shipping locking bolts were removed during the installation. So I wanted to check with others. the spinning drum does move from the front of the unit to the back, but it does not move left/right or up/down. It just rotates around the center axis.

I would ask those with washers installed in their coach to tell me if (when the washer is not running) they can make the drum move left/right (along horizontal plane) or up/down (along vertical plane), without spinning the drum. I do not know if this limited movement is what it is supposed to do, or if there is supposed to be some freedom for the washer drum to move horizontally and vertically, while spinning.

Thanks for your feedback. Hoping that I can validate my theory that the shipping locking bolts are still installed and by removing them, it would reduce the shaking during the spin cycle. If it was easier to remove the dryer, I would pull the dryer out and have a closer look. If anyone has ideas to remove the dryer, please share, as I would probably eventually move the dryer and double check the shipping bolts. I think I would need to remove the toilet to enable the dryer to come out.

Thanks
Have you talked with Whirlpool? Usually when it comes to appliances, the manufactures of the appliance handles warranty and service for the unit. we can try and send pictures, and the steps to remove the unit if needed, just left me know.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Dragonship Captain

You made me go out there......

Same here. Lot of forward aft movement, limited side to side, but enough to think there's no locking bolts in there.

The problem is that the floor is seriously under built and too flexible. So if you really want to fix the earth quake we ALL (and our neighbors) experience you need to take it all out and rebuild the floor to be rigid enough. We're probably talking welding here. Short of that running light loads and a few pool noodles around the unit help somewhat.

You can get them out in my coach without removing the toilet but have the Ibuprofin ready as you will pull something somewhere. I took mine out to silence the buzzer in the dryer.....

https://dragonship.blog/washer-dryer/
Old 05-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #5

Let’s look at this from a structural perspective. I have a 2018 38A with the same washer and dryer. IMHO, the floor under the washer doesn’t seem to be the crux of the problem for two reasons. First, about one third of the space under the washer floor is filler by a 3/4” OSB box that adds rigidity to the floor. Also, given the fact that the washer has four small legs clipped into brackets, the weight of the washer is transferred to the corners of the floor and not the center. The complete perimeter of the underneath of the floor has moulding to support the floor. if anyone believes it’s the weakness of the floor, there is room to put a shim between the floor and top of the Truma water heater encasement which appears quite solid. Secondly, if you measure the movement of the washer, you will find most of it is lateral and not vertical. So, all of that being said, the two easiest fixes, which won’t totally resolve the issue, is to build a padded overhang to fit over the top of the dryer stabilising it (somewhat) against the side walls. There also appears to be the ability to adjust the front two legs, if you can get to them, which may improve the situation even more. Regardless, we’re dealing with a relatively large (wet) mass spinning in a relatively unstable vehicle. Which means, you might be able to improve the situation somewhat, but I suspect that you’re just going to have to learn to live with it like the rest of us do.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #6

X2 on the pool noodles - worked for us too.

Related: After an abrupt stop to avoid hitting a couch that slid out of a pickup in front of us, the dryer launched forward about a foot above the washer. That strap that "secures" it to the rear wall was fastened to the wall with sheet metal screws. As common sense would predict, they pulled straight out when we braked hard. To secure it properly, I anchored the strap with three 1/4" through-wall Pull Toggles which seem to be about as bombproof as I could get. Haven't seen any more couches in the road since, so I guess the anchors are working.

Also, I had to do this repair on the road. Didn't move the toilet, but built a skeleton frame from 1x4 furring upon which I slid the dryer then shuffled it out of the way to give me access to the back wall.

This whole process (including R&R of the dryer duct) was huge PITA!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernation View Post

Thanks

We bought a Kenmore front loader and the delivery crew failed to remove the shipping bolts. That washer self destructed very quickly. It was years ago so I don’t remember if it was a day or a week. Sears replaced it.

My point is that your bolts were probably removed.

However, maybe you could use one of the endoscopic attachments with your phone to confirm.

My recollection is that the bolts on my washer were orange or neon.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:21 PM   #8

Speaking of Whirlpool front load washer, I am just starting to commission my new 2021.5 Berk 34B and doing the dewinterization. All going good. I was verifying all systems and noticed there is only one water inlet to the washer on the top and looked hard for for a second to have both cold and hot water. Only one unless the hot inlet is hidden where I can't see it. The washer program allows you to select hot warm cold wash cycle. Does this mean the washer has internal water heater.

Also the washer door was shipped with a piece of tape across the door. I removed the shipping tape and discovered the door does not latch at all. I held the door shut and the cycles work with the door open and closed. All front loaders latch the door closed when in use and won'tallow a start when open. Obviously the door latch was broken and thus why it was taped shut. Is this a warranty issue? I suspect it will be a real pain to fix. My washer nameplate is in the attached pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210503_182031.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	253816
Sunvalley ID RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:31 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Sunvalley,
You are correct that would be a warranty issue, you would have to schedule an appoint at Forest River service center and the washing machine looked at.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvalley ID RVer View Post
I was verifying all systems and noticed there is only one water inlet to the washer on the top and looked hard for for a second to have both cold and hot water. Only one unless the hot inlet is hidden where I can't see it. The washer program allows you to select hot warm cold wash cycle. Does this mean the washer has internal water heater.
Attachment 253816
We have a WFW309GW; Whirlpool TS confirms that there's an internal heating element.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #11

Our 2015 Berk came without the shipping bolts removed. That is a mistake at the Berk factory.

The machine really caused the rear end of the coach to jump up and down on the spin cycle.

As noted by others, you should be able to move the drum in and out if the bolts are removed. The bolts hold the drum assembly tight against the frame of the unit, so if they are on, the drum rotates, but doesn’t move back and forth. Nor will it let the drum find a new center of rotation, but that is hard to test without running a slightly lopsided load in a spin cycle.

Our dealer arranged to have an appliance company remove the bolts, under warranty.

– Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #12

Thanks Gordon

Gordon,
If I understand correctly, and I can move the drum freely from the front to the back, then the shipping bolts are removed.

It does not move up and down and left-right like it does from front to back, which got me thinking that the shipping bolts might be my issue.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #13

Yes, I can only move my drum front to back by hand. I think the springs to centre the drum are too strong for me to move against them. The shipping bolts will stop both of those motions, but not stop the rotation.

So, if you can move the drum back and forth, parallel to the rotation axis, then the shipping bolts have been removed.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question