Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #21
Marine

Tom, the way you are hustling, you'll never grow old! Oorah!

Sorry, for you jumping through all those hoops.

As you probably know, in addition to the house battery disconnect inside the coach, there is a rotary disconnect switch for the house batteries in the house battery compartment outside the coach. This leads me to believe that house battery power can still be distributed (albeit through limited circuits) even though the house battery disconnect inside the coach is turned off. Otherwise, why would they have two different battery disconnects for the house batteries?

So in other words, even though the inside house battery switch is turned off, house battery current could still be powering some circuits (maybe the dash radio) if the rotary switch in the outside house battery compartment is not turned off. Semper Fi.
Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #22

Hey- no problem. I can use the exercise(LOL!!).

The battery cutoff switch I turned off is the OUTSIDE one in the battery compartment figuring that it would shut all the current from the house batteries off.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #23
Marine

Thank you very much for your efforts. So, it appears that our dash radios are powered by the chassis batteries, even when no key is in the ignition.

When I called Magnadyne technical support yesterday, the manufacturer of the in dash radio, they thought that the house batteries would power the radio. I guess Forest River powers the radio with the chassis batteries at all times.

Now, I have to figure out how to properly wire the rocker switch since when I have the key out of the ignition, it acts as though the key is in the ignition as the TV, nightshade, etc. do not function.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #24

Tmmar

Do you only have one battery disconnect switch outside. I have 3 on my 2012 390BH60 ... one for coach and two for house. Along with this is the one inside that I never use since it is only a partial disconnect
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #25

I have only seen one outside shutoff for the coach batteries. There is also one for the chassis batteries and the one inside the coach. Are you sure that you have 2 shutoffs for the coach batteries and that one of the shutoffs is not for the chassis batteries?

Old 05-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #26
Marine

I have a rotary disconnect switch in the chassis battery compartment which turns off the chassis batteries.

I have a rotary disconnect switch in the house battery compartment which turns off the house batteries.

I have a rocker switch inside the coach that disconnects the house batteries, but I am guessing that it does not disconnect all of the house battery circuits, since there is the rotary disconnect switch in the house battery compartment.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine View Post
I have a rotary disconnect switch in the chassis battery compartment which turns off the chassis batteries.

I have a rotary disconnect switch in the house battery compartment which turns off the house batteries.

I have a rocker switch inside the coach that disconnects the house batteries, but I am guessing that it does not disconnect all of the house battery circuits, since there is the rotary disconnect switch in the house battery compartment.
This is exactly how my coach is set up.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
If I'm not mistaken on the rocker switch allows you to play the
In dash radio without a key in the ignition

Kenny
That's the way mine works.

Wayne
Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #29

Holy crap I'm exhausted just reading this thread. Slow down and have a cocktail already.

2015 XL 40QL
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #30

I'll drink to that!!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine View Post
I am new to the forum. I purchased a used 2014 400BH. When I push the dash radio rocker switch to listen to the radio without the key in the ignition, it adversely affects several other circuits. My leveling jacks are powered up, the night shade doesn't function, the outdoor awnings don't work,and the front tv doesn't work. This can't be the way it should function. Has anyone experienced this or have any input? Thanks.
I just checked everything while keys in but not on (my keys stay in ignition all the time). I toggled radio on and operated both awnings, shade, front TV and my jack panel did not power up. Mine is a 2015 38A.

Hope you get it wired right...
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #32
Marine

Thanks for confirming that my switch is not wired correctly. Now I got some figuring to do!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #33
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Well if you mean 'if anybody out there' is me, I guess I can do that. Is this part of basic training for the Marines you are putting me through?? Up and out and around my coach! In and out of my coach! Turning this on and that off!! PHEW!! You trying to get this old man in shape or what?? (LOL!!).

Again, no ignition key and dash radio switch on. Radio on. Turned house battery switch off and radio still on. So it looks like the radio is hooked up to the chassis batteries.
Tom, if he asks you to check something on the roof, don't go!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post

Thanks Bob!! (LOL!!)

Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post

Darn good advice.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #36

Tom, I agree, stay off the roof.
JIM9091 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio