Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Reactions from the Tampa Show

We had a chance to hit the Tampa show. The new Berkshires are very nice but, to be honest, seem to be more of just a slightly larger version of the existing models. I would put the Berks still slightly below the Ventanas and quite a ways below the Dutch Star in my humble opinion. They still represent a good value I think, but I don't see them being head to head with the comparable Newmars yet. I do think that yet is the operative word here.

The one that completely blew us away was the Foretravel Realm. Yes, it is a discounted price that exceeds the MSRP of two Berks, but man that is one incredible coach. Try individual heat/AC for each bunk as well two full baths. Great coach.

Ed
Old 01-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We had a chance to hit the Tampa show. The new Berkshires are very nice but, to be honest, seem to be more of just a slightly larger version of the existing models. I would put the Berks still slightly below the Ventanas and quite a ways below the Dutch Star in my humble opinion. They still represent a good value I think, but I don't see them being head to head with the comparable Newmars yet. I do think that yet is the operative word here.

The one that completely blew us away was the Foretravel Realm. Yes, it is a discounted price that exceeds the MSRP of two Berks, but man that is one incredible coach. Try individual heat/AC for each bunk as well two full baths. Great coach.
*Cough* No joke Ed. That is one amazing coach. Problem is I would be afraid to drive it - 65 Man Hours on the exterior paint alone?

I see where they even throw in a WiFi Ranger as standard -- well they BETTER for than price!

Hey Dennis...here's the rig you need to win the lottery for!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #3

But? What are the cost difference between the Berkshire and those other rigs?

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
*Cough* No joke Ed. That is one amazing coach. Problem is I would be afraid to drive it - 65 Man Hours on the exterior paint alone?

I see where they even throw in a WiFi Ranger as standard -- well they BETTER for than price!

Hey Dennis...here's the rig you need to win the lottery for!

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......had we won, which we didn't, we would have been at MHSRV in Alvarado, TX ordering a Prevost

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks for that update on the show. Did you happen to snap some pics you could post?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Sorry, but I didn't get any pictures. I should probably explain why. I flew down to Tampa on Monday. I had picked up a new client down there and I was to meet with them and then my wife, daughter and her boyfriend were flying down Tuesday evening and we would hit the show on Wednesday. As things turned out the Buffalo area got hit with a couple of feet of snow and their flight got cancelled. They got out on the 6 AM flight which meant that they got up at 3 to get their flight. They got into Tampa about 9:30 and off we went to the show. Now if any of you have ever had the pleasure of hitting an RV show with your wife, 18 year old daughter and the daughter's boyfriend, all of whom were functioning on about three hours of sleep and all of whom were hitting the RV show just because I wanted to go can understand why we just hit exactly what we needed to. It also means that I didn't get any extra time for pics. I know that was a very long explanation for the lack of pics but I wanted you to know that my heart was there but my head said that it would be a good idea to just do what was necessary and get down to Captiva for the vacation time. It's called survival!

The point about pricing is correct. A discounted Berkshire should still come in under the Ventana and the Charleston below the Dutch Star. Both of those units are at a sweet spot for pricing for a single bath model or even a bath and a half unit. I would still classify both units as great bang for the buck. I think that my disappointment was due to the units being so much like their predessors. I guess I expected them both to be a bit more innovative than what they actually were.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #7

Totally understandable.....lol.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #8

I understand the Berk Lineup included the XLT 43A & 43B Floorplans. Nothing new according to the reports I have received.

The 43B (BH) has a floorplan layout similar to the other Berkshire BH floorplans. Personally, I like the 43A over the B - the B has a dinky bathroom.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I understand the Berk Lineup included the XLT 43A & 43B Floorplans. Nothing new according to the reports I have received.

The 43B (BH) has a floorplan layout similar to the other Berkshire BH floorplans. Personally, I like the 43A over the B - the B has a dinky bathroom.
When it all boils down....they all have small bathrooms. You can only fit so much in a motorhome

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Just to expand on my comments about the pricing. There are trade offs that any buyer will have by going with one brand such as the Berkshire versus the various Newmar models. For example, the smart wheel, multi stage engine brake, and Comfort Drive are items that any buyer would have to decide whether or not they are important enough to pay for. Just like those people that opt for the Prevost conversions over other brands, what do you want and how much are you willing to pay for what you want. I would still contend that the Berkshire is the best rig out there for either the first time diesel pusher buyer or for the buyer who isn't looking for a ton of glitz.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Just to expand on my comments about the pricing. There are trade offs that any buyer will have by going with one brand such as the Berkshire versus the various Newmar models. For example, the smart wheel, multi stage engine brake, and Comfort Drive are items that any buyer would have to decide whether or not they are important enough to pay for. Just like those people that opt for the Prevost conversions over other brands, what do you want and how much are you willing to pay for what you want. I would still contend that the Berkshire is the best rig out there for either the first time diesel pusher buyer or for the buyer who isn't looking for a ton of glitz.

X2

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #12

Hell of a coach if you can afford it. Sorry, I can't. Power ball anyone?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #13

Didn't see anything at the show that I can't do without.. Only thing I liked better than what I have was the side swing door on the water bay.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Didn't see anything at the show that I can't do without.. Only thing I liked better than what I have was the side swing door on the water bay.

Russell

X2, plus water pump bay.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
Citrus County, Fl.

Best thing about the Tampa show is I finally got to meet Frog Bob and Cindy!! They are both extremely nice people and Bob took the time out to talk with me which I was not expecting.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Best thing about the Tampa show is I finally got to meet Frog Bob and Cindy!! They are both extremely nice people and Bob took the time out to talk with me which I was not expecting.

X-2. I did leave that out. It was really great to meet & talk to Bob & Cindy. Bob swapped a couple story's with me to. Great time!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #17

More innovation?

Quote:
Sorry, but I didn't get any pictures. I should probably explain why. I flew down to Tampa on Monday. I had picked up a new client down there and I was to meet with them and then my wife, daughter and her boyfriend were flying down Tuesday evening and we would hit the show on Wednesday. As things turned out the Buffalo area got hit with a couple of feet of snow and their flight got cancelled. They got out on the 6 AM flight which meant that they got up at 3 to get their flight. They got into Tampa about 9:30 and off we went to the show. Now if any of you have ever had the pleasure of hitting an RV show with your wife, 18 year old daughter and the daughter's boyfriend, all of whom were functioning on about three hours of sleep and all of whom were hitting the RV show just because I wanted to go can understand why we just hit exactly what we needed to. It also means that I didn't get any extra time for pics. I know that was a very long explanation for the lack of pics but I wanted you to know that my heart was there but my head said that it would be a good idea to just do what was necessary and get down to Captiva for the vacation time. It's called survival!

The point about pricing is correct. A discounted Berkshire should still come in under the Ventana and the Charleston below the Dutch Star. Both of those units are at a sweet spot for pricing for a single bath model or even a bath and a half unit. I would still classify both units as great bang for the buck. I think that my disappointment was due to the units being so much like their predessors. I guess I expected them both to be a bit more innovative than what they actually were.
You think the XLT has nothing new to offer over last year's Berkshire? Maybe you missed the V-Ryde, ultra steer and the 450hp side radiator.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
You think the XLT has nothing new to offer over last year's Berkshire? Maybe you missed the V-Ryde, ultra steer and the 450hp side radiator.

I looked at your profile and it says you own one. How do you like it?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:

Said the proud new owner. Lol. Do you love it? I agree they brought a tag into the lineup. Hardly " nothing new to offer".

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #20
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:

Oh no, I'm not saying that the XLT had nothing new to offer. There is no question in my mind that the V Ride, ultra steer, side radiator, and other enhancements are not huge steps up. My comment was directed at the floor plan which seems to be more of an extended version of the 390bh we have now.

Tags
show