Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #1

Rear bedroom slide

I have a 2014 bh rear bedroom slide won't go out I can here the motor and gears working ,I took it to an rv repair shop and they said they had to order a new motor because it comes in an enclosed box and they are having a hard time finding one, I have had this problem before but I had a warranty so I not sure is correct, if anyone knows more about this I would like to know if this is correct,
wac1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
Diesel Rep West Coast

just a thought are you sure the gears for the slide are making contact with the track?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:34 PM   #3

It sounds like it's trying to connect but just skipping
Old 10-26-2022, 05:33 PM   #4

There’s a posting titled “34qs Bed Slide not working”. Extensive information on that thread.
It was last replied to in March.

If you are in an area in the country with freezing weather the seal could be frozen and cause the final drive and rack to disengage.
You can call Equalizer at 800-846-9659.
They are good people.
Good luck.
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:20 AM   #5

I agree, its the slide motor withh gear box. We have the same issue where the slide would just click. As we were going through Elkhart area on our way back, I scheduled Equalizer to investigate. At first they thought the motor gears disengaged from the track but the motor had locked up. Equalizer replaced the motor and checked out the jack system and large hydraulic kitchen slide. Labor charge way only $150.00. Done in about 2 hours. Very good service from Equalizer factory support and repair.
Daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
Commercial Member

HOW TO ADJUST BED SLIDE GEAR ASSEMBLY
With the slide all the way out loosen the four 1/2" bolts holding the motor in place. With a crowbar put as much upward pressure as possible on the motor to push in into the gear rack. Tighten the four 1/2" bolts back up to hold motor in the higher position. I would try that first before getting a new gear box and motor assembly. If that doesn't work, then its either a gear box issue or a the spur gear on the motor may have stripped out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed Slide Gear.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	280928  
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac1949 View Post
I have a 2014 bh rear bedroom slide won't go out I can here the motor and gears working ,I took it to an rv repair shop and they said they had to order a new motor because it comes in an enclosed box and they are having a hard time finding one, I have had this problem before but I had a warranty so I not sure is correct, if anyone knows more about this I would like to know if this is correct,
Thanks for the information I took the information and pictures to the repair shop, they are going to see if it works
Old 10-28-2022, 06:03 AM   #8

Once again, replacing the two top hex-head bolts with Allen-heads allow the clearance to engage the gears without needing leverage although it might take a wiggle if the teeth are touching. I just put my hand under the motor and pushed up. I could feel the gears engage.
It now operates smoothly.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #9

I had the same issue with my 2015 XL 40QL. While I was retracting the slide there was a loud pop then the gear just slipped. The gearbox actually shattered do to a very poor design. The gearbox is die cast aluminum and the screws holding the two halves together are tiny! I could not find a replacement so I ended up JB welding the parts together. I also drilled out the tiny screws and replaced them with no 12 screws and nuts on the back side. I know its not a forever fix but it has lasted this whole season. Still looking for a replacement - there are a ton of gearboxes out there but finding the correct one at 22 RPM has been a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220819_100936.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	281363  
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
jknutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #10

This is my last posting on this subject!
This is a rack and pinion drive.
Does anyone see the wear pattern on the drive gear (pinion)?
The wear pattern should be distributed evenly across the teeth.
When the teeth aren’t fully meshed the pattern in the picture is the result.
Damage to the reduction gears occurs when a tooth on the pinion tries to climb over a tooth on the rack. Other damage could occur due to stress such as you described earlier in this thread.
All the leverage you can place on the motor won’t allow the teeth to fully engage if the hex head bolts don’t provide clearance. See my posting on replacing the hex heads with allen heads.
That’s all I have to say on the subject. Trappfarmer out.

Tags
bed, bedroom, bedroom slide, roo, slide