Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Smile Removing a refrigerator

I have a 2017 Berkshire XL40A diesel pusher. I want to remove the refrigerator so I can install a roller under the slide out floor it sets in. Why...the wood trim board at the bottom of the slide out scrapes the floor when moving the slide in or out. I assume it because of the fridge weight.

It is approx. 3' x 6' electric Frigidaire model. I plan to DIY. Does it require any special part removal, etc. or just a strong back to pull it out? thx in advance
Berkshirebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:04 PM   #2

Berkshirebub,

Welcome to the Berkshire Forum.

I'm not sure what kind of slide you have, but if it is a Schwintek, you are in a well-discussed area of problems and solutions. My discussion at https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...de-175612.html has been read more than 10,000 times, for example.

Schwintek slides (and other brands, I am sure) have rollers on the coach wall and the whole slide runs on these rollers. Heavy slides, like kitchen slides, can dig into these rollers if they have an underside made of wood. So, many of us have installed 1/8" aluminum plates to make the slide roll better. That is typically motivated by a poorly functioning slide.

So, this could be the source of your slide scraping on the floor. I have the same problem and the repairs to my kitchen slide didn't completely eliminate that problem. What I do is place a 1/8" piece of plexiglass on the floor where the slide scrapes and hold my foot on it while the slide closes. (Actually, my wife is the one who usually does this, so she deserves credit!)

If you put a roller under the fridge, it could stop the floor from being scraped, but cause other problems. For example, if you have a ceramic tile floor, the roller might crack the tiles and you will have a bigger mess. Thus, you should give serious consideration to the plexiglass solution. I store the plexiglass under the seat cushion in the dinette.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

If you have the manual for the fridge it will show how it is mounted. You most likely need a square bit Robertson screw driver to remove the fasteners. After all the screws are removed then you need a strong back and the necessary space to move the fridge. If your lucky there will be enough room for two people to wrestle the fridge.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #4

My long kitchen slide out is driven by one hydraulic cylinder. It didn't look like the one in your pics.

thanks
Old 01-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If you have the manual for the fridge it will show how it is mounted. You most likely need a square bit Robertson screw driver to remove the fasteners. After all the screws are removed then you need a strong back and the necessary space to move the fridge. If your lucky there will be enough room for two people to wrestle the fridge.
-will check the manual. thx
Old 01-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #6

My 2016 xl 40 A has opposing big slides, where the refrigerator is located on ours-they’re hydraulic. Mine is a Frigidaire also, and at least two of the mounts are in front underneath. The normal front legs are not used. The slide can actually be adjusted up/down somewhat and should have skids under to help it ride up and when retracting. Mine were missing from the factory. Techs at Lazydays Tucson added them and that fixed the scratching issue; that and the adjustment. We also do the plexiglass type buffer just to be sure. You may want to try the other fixes before taking out the fridge-that’d be something not fun I’m thinking.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #7

slide marking floor

We had the same problem with our 2019 40D, slide scraping floor at delivery at Lazy Days Tampa. They found the problem was the hole for the roller was cut too large and the roller collapsed under the weight of the fridge. They had to remove entire slide to beef up the area around the roller. At last visit to Lazy Days had plates install under vanity slide, same problem, slide marking floor.
Alva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator