Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
OOFA!! that is real close to the bumper!!

Looks like a nice setup though!
Yes, there is not much of a gap, but everything's gonna be so rigid I'm not expecting that to be an issue... I'd think the towbar would crumple first.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #22

Update...it does look like that's gonna be a little tight, looks like it has rubbed a little on the left side. Probably need to take a little more metal off. I still contend that even with a little more modding, in the case of something catastrophic that hi/lo will be laying in the middle of the road unscathed. Also should have argued with my hitch guy as to whether the standard 68" roadmaster cables are long enough (They're not.) They recommend a 76" cable. I wound up at home depot getting 2 1' lengths of chain and a couple of couplings... NEXT time I catch my breath I'll scrap all that and get the right stuff.

Off to M&G this morning for supplemental braking system on the Jeep.

If anyone finds a stock 6" hi/low that works on the Berkshires as is, I'd love to know. I should call Roadmaster and see if they'll make one 1" longer as a custom order, just to hear 'em laugh.

Gottawonder
Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #23
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottawonder View Post
Update...it does look like that's gonna be a little tight, looks like it has rubbed a little on the left side. Probably need to take a little more metal off. I still contend that even with a little more modding, in the case of something catastrophic that hi/lo will be laying in the middle of the road unscathed. Also should have argued with my hitch guy as to whether the standard 68" roadmaster cables are long enough (They're not.) They recommend a 76" cable. I wound up at home depot getting 2 1' lengths of chain and a couple of couplings... NEXT time I catch my breath I'll scrap all that and get the right stuff.

Off to M&G this morning for supplemental braking system on the Jeep.

If anyone finds a stock 6" hi/low that works on the Berkshires as is, I'd love to know. I should call Roadmaster and see if they'll make one 1" longer as a custom order, just to hear 'em laugh.

Gottawonder
Convince Roadmaster to make that a longer 6" dual receiver and i'm in for a second order! Mine would work with a 2" drop but I'd love to have my dual receiver back to put the bike rack on.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by beipers View Post
Convince Roadmaster to make that a longer 6" dual receiver and i'm in for a second order! Mine would work with a 2" drop but I'd love to have my dual receiver back to put the bike rack on.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forest River Forums mobile app
There ya go. Guess I could hit a fab shop and have 'em build me triple off an extension. weld a 6" and 12" rise on it, put the tow bar on the 6 and a bike rack on the 12".

I did write Roadmaster and ask if there's any more clearance on the 10k hi-low (sent a pic along,) then asked if they'd make me a custom. Then I asked if building 1 was out of the question, if they'd build me 10 for a group buy. I'll keep you posted.

EDITED TO ADD:

And yes, I am probably overthinking all this. If I installed a "Quiet Hitch" (Roadmaster) on my existing setup, probably no bumping the paint (I think it touched when I was folding up the tow bar.) Roadmaster says don't use an extension with a high-low, but E-trailer has no problem recommending it. Personally, I hate to extend 7" when I need 1/2", that's just me. Between tow bar, base plate and braking system I've got $3k invested, and if I spend a little more for the optimal set up, so be it. I got spoiled several years ago having a fab area outside my office door, and worked in an environment where if you couldn't order it, you built it. Solid bar and receiver tube are available pre-fab, take those and my existing to a fab shop and have 'em match the rectangular tubing used for the riser. "Simple." It would be a lot simpler if Roadmaster would do the same, but we'll see.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #25

I'm not sure I understand the whole issue but if you just need to get out from the bumper this is what I use. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402011374.907113.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	54427

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #26

Ok I read the whole post and I see that you don't want to use the extension. My understanding with the hi low set up was for tongue weight. With a toad you have almost no tongue weight. Also braking was a issue but you are using toad brakes. If I was very worried I would take it to a fab shop and have them cut it to the length you want and wield it all together. I only have a problem when I use my scooter platform
Then I use the extension.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #27

I went with the 1/2 blue ox, 1/2 fab shop option. I used their riser with a longer receiver tube. Now I have 10,000lbs capacity with a perfect fit. Mine is a 3" rise, but now it is perfectly level with my silvarado.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402057078.888718.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	854.5 KB
ID:	54476
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402057098.716018.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	639.2 KB
ID:	54477
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #28

Well, I just couldn't let it go. I tried to get Roadmaster to build it, to no avail. Got my hitch guy to build me a custom extension using a 14" solid bar, then build the 6" rise like the roadmaster I already had. This extended the bar 2" beyond "stock." I figured going to a solid bar would certainly compensate for the extra 2". Now it's "RIGHT" and I'm happy.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #29
Cyclone

Did he build 3 for the rest of us?

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beipers View Post
Did he build 3 for the rest of us?
I'm not sure anyone would like the price I think he cut me a break since I'd bought the tow bar and had him do all the install. Anyway, the moral of the story is don't assume because no one sells it that it can't exist. This guy's head might have spun around if I had him make a double for a bike rack.

Gottawonder
Old 06-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #31

Very timely thread. Looks like I'll be going through this process w/i the next week or two. As of right now I think we'll be towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I'm anal enough to want my towed vehicle perfectly level.

Dan
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Very timely thread. Looks like I'll be going through this process w/i the next week or two. As of right now I think we'll be towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I'm anal enough to want my towed vehicle perfectly level.

Dan
Yeah, get your tow bar purchase figured out first. Until the base plates are on the Jeep there's no real way to take a height measurement.

Saw you're flying to TX to pick up your rig. MHSRV?

Gottawonder
Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottawonder View Post

Saw you're flying to TX to pick up your rig. MHSRV?

Gottawonder
Yes, they are the worlds largest dealer and all that. Any thoughts on them?

Dan
Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Yes, they are the worlds largest dealer and all that. Any thoughts on them?

Dan
Hey Dan, I bought my rig there, and the experience was great. I'd buy another rig from them in a heartbeat. My paperwork and orientation and delivery was jammed into about 3 hrs (my fault, not theres) and they had me ready to drive off the lot. I'm guessing you're going to spend the night in it at their park? I didn't but would have loved it.

I'd remind your salesman that you've gotta be ready to drive the thing cross country when you leave the lot and ask him be sure and check in with the make-ready crew. Probably unnecessary but asking him to touch base with the crew won't hurt a thing. Should be an awesome adventure for you and your grandson. PM me if you have any other questions.

Gottawonder
Old 09-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #35

Update-Stock jeep and wheels were marginal and my installer felt that because we were w/I the magic 3 inches no hi-lo was needed. I put some wheels and tires on the jeep and found that I now need a 2 inch lift from the coach receiver. I ran into the same problem others have i.e. the available hi-low receivers wouldn't clear the coach rear cap. Roadmaster agreed to build me a custom hi-low receiver with a longer stinger so I could get 8 1/8 inches between the pin hole on the stinger and the back of the raised receiver. According to the blueprint I received they will be using solid 2 inch stock rather than the hollow stock on their ready made hi-lo receivers.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1

Tags
berkshire