Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #1

Roads from Santa Fe to South Fork

Any one drove from Santa Fe to south fork col? If so how is drive as planning a trip in few months

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #2

You might post the question here: Western USA - Forest River Forums Some knowledgable folks hovering there
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #3

We used to live in Santa Fe before moving to Durango, CO a few years ago and are pretty familiar with the roads in that area. The obvious route is straight north on HWY 84/285 through Espanola, continuing north on HWY 285 to Alamosa. Left turn on HWY 160 takles you W to South Fork.

Up to Espanola it's mostly four lane but then narrows down pretty much the rest of the way to two lane. You'll find good fuel prices at some of the Indian Pueblo's between Santa Fe & Espanola but fill up as N of Espanola things get very sparse until Alamosa. You'll be traveling through the lower half of the San Luis valley. At over 100 miles N to S and 75 miles E - W it's a lot of open space. Once you make the hill north of Santa Fe it's fairly level the rest of the way but remember we're talking the Rockies here. My definition of level is different from Florida.

If you have the time you could head out of Espanola on HWY 67 to Taos then cut back to 285 via HWY 64. Nice run along the Rio Grande before Taos then spend some time checking out the plaza and pueblo. An added bonus of that route is the bridge crossing over the Rio Grande west of Taos (on 64). Instead of the earlier stretch right along the river here you're crossing a gorge 650' deep.

A completely different route would be to swing farther west. Stay on HWY 84 out of Espanola continuing to Pagosa Springs, CO then E on 160 over Wolf Creek pass. Great scenery but much more elevation change.

Let me know if you have any questions.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #4

Thanks for great insight and info as first time to take coach to mountains as not real excited on driving narrow one lane winding roads up and mountain passes but you gave me good idea and appreciate that!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Old Timer

Most all the hills have passing lanes, just stay over there and grind it out. Just don't try for any land speed records topping them out and you should be OK.

kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM   #6

Sounds like 285 will be your best route. My #1 advice to anyone driving these roads is to use engine braking and not ride your brakes on the downhill runs. I've seen - and smelled - way too many overheated brakes on everything from cars to 18 wheelers.

Once in South Fork - if you have a towed vehicle - take a run over Wolf Creek pass to Pagosa Springs. It's only about 45 minutes and you'll see some beautiful scenery on both side of the pass. The road north is also very scenic up through Lake City and worth the drive.

Enjoy!

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Realtor View Post
Any one drove from Santa Fe to south fork col? If so how is drive as planning a trip in few months

You do know that Southfork is going to be pretty dern chilly this time of year, right?? I mean compared to Texas.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

My actual trip is mid June but heard it can get cool at nights! Going with another RV couple and we stay around fun valley and drive our jeeps to gunnison, wolf creek, and Durango for a week

Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Realtor View Post
My actual trip is mid June but heard it can get cool at nights! Going with another RV couple and we stay around fun valley and drive our jeeps to gunnison, wolf creek, and Durango for a week

You will LOVE it. Colorado Springs is my "adopted" home town. I full time, so most all of my summers are in Colorado or other equally beautiful Rocky mountain states. Take Slumgullion pass over to Lake City. Wonderful little town and you can visit "old Al Packer".

Boowho??
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #11

BTW, for those that may not know, Al Packer was an accused cannibal that went into the area around Lake City in the 1800's leading a group of gold prospectors. They got caught in a massive blizzard, were marooned and Packer was the only survivor.

The others appeared to have been butchered and eaten, but NOT by animals.

Boowho??
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #12

My buddy who is taking his coach told me that story as well. Looking forward to scenery for sure

Old 03-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #13

South Fork Vacation

I believe they coined the phrase "Taking your friends to lunch" from Al Packer.

There are loads of 4-wheel trails in the San Juan mountains. Many can be completed in a stock 4-wheel drive, heck some even in a high clearance 2-wheel drive. By June many of the trails will be clear but ask around to be sure.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado