Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Robert Moses State Parkway in Buffalo

Heading to the FROG rally in Niagra Falls later this month. One of the routes has us going on Robert Moses State Parkway in Buffalo. We have a Berkshire 390bh and wanted to know if anyone knew if we can travel on this road with my coach.
Thanks,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Heading to the FROG rally in Niagra Falls later this month. One of the routes has us going on Robert Moses State Parkway in Buffalo. We have a Berkshire 390bh and wanted to know if anyone knew if we can travel on this road with my coach.
Thanks,
Tom
Tom, if you take the Moses Parkway you'll go home with a much lower profile coach. Right after you get on the Moses, there is a 12 foot overpass. I'm not sure if it is erroneously marked, but I really don't think I would take a chance on it.

The rally is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, is it not? Your best bet is to cross into Canada at the Peace Bridge and then go North on the Queen Elizabeth Way to Niagara Falls. I'm not sure you are even allowed to cross the Rainbow Bridge in a motorhome. Sadly, Niagara Falls, USA doesn't have the big tourist attractions like the Canadian side does.

Ed
Old 06-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

We were at Niagara Falls last year. Here's a photo of the overpass on the Robert Moses Parkway that wnytaxman mentioned. Yes, it is correctly marked.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #4

Ed/Oakman,
Thanks for the info. Not sure that I need that type of 'hair cut' for my coach right now.

Ed, I think there are a few spots left for the 6/24-6/30 trip still open. How about joining the group for the trip?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #5

I take this route about once a week since I live in Niagara Falls. DO NOT take your rig under the Grand Island Bridge on the Robert Moses Parkway. As said earlier--You will have a convertible! Several times a year the semi trucks listen to their GPS and not watch the signs and get stuck under the bridge. If you are coming to Niagara Falls on the US side, get off the route 190 and take Buffalo Avenue to the falls. You can take your RV over the Rainbow Bridge. I have taken my 5th Wheel over the Rainbow Bridge many times. If you go that way, stay in the left lane. When you get across the bridge and are entering customs on the Canadian side, you will have to pass through a barrier and go the left of the building for questioning. If you are in the right lane, it is impossible to get over to the left if the bridge is busy. I will say, I prefer the Peace Bridge. It is easier to navigate with a large vehicle. Have a safe trip and enjoy our area.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #6

A GOOD RULE while driving/towing ANY RV in New York State - STAY OFF ALL PARKWAYS. These highways were build with cars only in mind for commuters. All commercial truck traffic is PROHIBITED from using any Parkways in NYS. Some Parkways have clearances al low as 10'. STAY OF ALL NYS PARKWAYS!!!

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
A GOOD RULE while driving/towing ANY RV in New York State - STAY OFF ALL PARKWAYS. These highways were build with cars only in mind for commuters. All commercial truck traffic is PROHIBITED from using any Parkways in NYS. Some Parkways have clearances al low as 10'. STAY OF ALL NYS PARKWAYS!!!
Living on Long Island, I know this for down here. Just didn't know if the overpasses were different in the western part of the state.