Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Roof Care

Anyone know the type of roof on our Berks?? I know it's not rubber, but it don't appear to be fiberglass either. And how to care for it..... 303 every so often.... but how often??

Finally, what is the life expectancy of these (assuming never covered)??

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #2

I thought it was fiberglass. I could be wrong though.

I've read up on care, some like 303, which is a very good product. I've read about others using Mop n Glow.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

It is fiberglass. Mine lasted one year and it had cracks. Luckily it's a FR product and their crack team installed a new one. I think this one will last. I put 303 on mine and inspect it regularly.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

I have an '08 and thought it was a rubber roof, cause it looks like it when you see it, even has a textured surface like rubber. But it is indeed fiberglass. (apparently FR haven't made a rubber roof since '05, in a motorhome at least). I had it cleaned and waxed as a preventative measure.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Don't quote me on this, but the roof should be by Crane Composites, and is a FRP. Probably same thing as the GT's and Forester / Sunseekers. It's a white pebble finish. Pretty thin, and not exactly what you would think of when someone mentions "fiberglass roof". Have read about the cracks in just about all FR motorhomes with this roof, but cracking fiberglass roof's aren't isolated to FR for sure. Some of the FRP roof's have held up just fine for some owners.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Don't quote me on this, but the roof should be by Crane Composites, and is a FRP. Probably same thing as the GT's and Forester / Sunseekers. It's a white pebble finish. Pretty thin, and not exactly what you would think of when someone mentions "fiberglass roof". Have read about the cracks in just about all FR motorhomes with this roof, but cracking fiberglass roof's aren't isolated to FR for sure. Some of the FRP roof's have held up just fine for some owners.
thanks all.... I tend to agree with you John, that it is not REALLY fiberglass. I've owned many FG boats, so know what the stuff looks like. That "pebbley" finish can not be created using gel coat AFAIK.

As far as the cracking, Mitch told me that the problem was confined to a bad batch of raw materials delivered by the manufacturer in late 2010. He further stated that the cracks normally appear around cut-outs like vents, AC, fans, etc.... Finally, I got the impression that FR would stand behind me indefinitely, since their vendor will be "on the hook" for any/all claims.

The reason I asked about all this, is a guy cleaned my roof yesterday, and said the roof panels were "sloughing off" fiberglass material. The guy is by no means an expert and I think he was probably mistaken. He didn't even know what 303 was!!

Boowho??

EDIT: Ok, just looked at Crane's website and the stuff is apparently at least fiberglass REINFORCED plastic. Sorry, Phil..... I guess I was w...w.....wr.....wrong!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

It's ok Bill I was the W word just today. I'm getting used to it. It certainly isn't what I would call fiberglass. I see you are on the move. Safe travels and smooth roads for you.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Can't help but pass through lowes, and do a double take near the paneling area and say, hey there's my roof. Similar stuff, used in commercial bathrooms. I never put anything on my Forester as far as protectant, just cleaned it with soap and water. 303 definitely won't hurt. Used 303 or Mary Moppins Advantage on my Tiffin FG roof. Good stuff.

On the cracking, I hate that word, but it happened to a 2013 Sunseeker. Rare but it happened. FR actually picked up the tab to have the roof sprayed in Florida at RV Roof (www.rvroof.com) with the FlexArmor. It was cheaper for them to do that than bring it back to the factory for a new roof. Look up the thread "Roof cracks" by 4Gcampers in the Sunseeker section. Expensive, but food for thought if anybody ever has any major issues with the FRP roof.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #9

John do you know what it costs for a forty foot. I don't need it know but never know.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

I think my 40' fifth wheel was around $5700 or so. Pricey, but along the lines of a rubber roof replacement. I'll have to see if I can find the quote they gave me.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Can't help but pass through lowes, and do a double take near the paneling area and say, hey there's my roof. Similar stuff, used in commercial bathrooms.

Interesting John..... That's what I been telling people in describing the material; looks like the stuff in commercial bathrooms.

I'll bet they use it to help keep kids from scribbling graffiti on it. Damn difficult to write on, I suspect.

Boowho??
Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

I'll bet they use it to help keep kids from scribbling graffiti on it. Damn difficult to write on, I suspect.

Boowho??
Boo,
Can't be too difficult. Was on my roof the other day and it looks like someone at the factory drew a circle with some letters in it (don't remember what they were). Looks like it was with some sort of black marker and it might be the spot where you need to drill to access the wiring when installing a satellite dish.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof