Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #1

Question RV Covers .... Good or Bad

We have recently purchased a new Berkshire 390BH-60. Although this is the third Class A we have owned, it is the first one that we have purchase new. As with most RV owners, we take a great deal pride in our unit and would like to keep it looking new as long as possible.

Since my wife and I still work, our MH spends the winter parked in storage where it is exposed to the harsh Western Canadian elements. Has anyone out there ever used an RV cover to protect their unit? If so, what type of material is best to snowy, cold conditions? Other than the trouble associated with installation and removal, is there any down side to a cover .... can they scratch a unit or cause mold or mildew problems?
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #2

Ive been wondering the same thing. Our dealer told us they were heavy and held in moisture which could damage the finish. However, there seems to be a lot of new covers made with Tyvek. I've used Tyvek jump suits when wood working and the material is almost like paper. It's extremely light and I believe won't mildew. I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about these covers.
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #3

I am checking into a cover from Calmark and their material is called Sumbrella. The sample they sent me is very light weight, claims it breathes so mold and mildew aren't an issue. Also says it is good for all weather conditions. 6 year warranty is what caught my eye compared to most covers at 2. They are custom made and I had to send in a lot of custom measurements (my TT is a V-nose). I've read on other forums they are a bit pricey but great reviews. I just sent off the info this past Monday so I'm still waiting on the quote.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It is extremely important that you get a cover that "breathes" or you'll have mold and mildew. I used such a cover on my previous F150 and it worked great.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

I have also thought about purchasing a cover. But one person I talked to told me about the problems that a cover could cause. He also said. " If covering the RV is so important during the long outdoor winters, why aren't the RV dealers themselves covering them on their lot". I guess I'll have to ask a RV dealer for a answer to that one.
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh75 View Post
I have also thought about purchasing a cover. But one person I talked to told me about the problems that a cover could cause. He also said. " If covering the RV is so important during the long outdoor winters, why aren't the RV dealers themselves covering them on their lot". I guess I'll have to ask a RV dealer for a answer to that one.
The best "cover" is inside a barn or warehouse. But the cost of storing inside is prohibitive with so many trailers. Otherwise they would do it.

Dealers aren't going to use Sunbrella covers because of the cost and time to install and remove when people want to shop their lots.

Also, the dealers are not the long-term owners and usually try to turnover inventory in a timely manner, which leaves little time for damage to occur.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
The best "cover" is inside a barn or warehouse. But the cost of storing inside is prohibitive with so many trailers. Otherwise they would do it.

Dealers aren't going to use Sunbrella covers because of the cost and time to install and remove when people want to shop their lots.

Also, the dealers are not the long-term owners and usually try to turnover inventory in a timely manner, which leaves little time for damage to occur.
I have a 30 X 50 barn but I built it long before I got the TT. Built it with 10 foot walls (I need 12') and the doors aren't tall enough either. Hind site is 20/20. I priced a carport type structure but just can't swing it right now.

As for the dealers, their inventory may sit through one winter at most, their goal is to sell them, not maintain them like a proud owner would. I've heard mixed reviews on covers but I want to check out every option I can. I've even considered calling some of the numbers on real estate signs on some of these empty buildings that have large enough bay doors to see if I could rent space from them. DW figures they wouldn't let me from insurance situation but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Anacortesians

When we bought our Georgetown, the seller included a full cover. We got the rig in July 2010 and over last winter we didn't use the cover. The original owner's desciption of scrambling around on the roof setting up the cover wasnt a major selling point. Unfortunately, . we had a water leak caused by a rotted out slide topper on the living room slide which might have been prevented if we'd used the cover.

SWMBO has decreed that this year we WILL use the cover. We just put the insurance into hibernation mode and, when I've finished the repairs resulting from last year's leak. we'll be putting the rig in its winter location, as far down the side of the garage as it will go. It sticks out about 8 feet towards the street.

Due to the overhang of the garage roof, we can't open the house door very far, so off-season access is through the driver's door. A further mod to the garage roof is in our plans for the off-season. We'd like to set things up so that a personnel access door (previously known as a "man door") can be cut through the garage wall in line with the RV house door when it's moored for the winter.

FYI, we have Allstate insurance on the MH and they have a system where you can put the insurance into "hibernation" mode, where the moving vehicle coverages are suspended. Last year, it saved us about $160 and we didn't send it into hibernation until early November.

It interferes with the "take it out for a run once every 6 weeks" standard, but it's a good deal from my perspective. Letting the engine and transmission sit for 5 months isn't likely to be a big deal on a rig with 15,000 miles on it. With an annual mileage aroound 5K, I don't think it will return to haunt me. It might haunt whoever buys the thing from our estate!

It's amazing how turning 70 changes yourr perspective!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #9

I purchased a cover when Camping World had them on sale last Fall. We cleaned the trailer and put the cover on. We placed tennis balls over the gutter extensions to keep them from poking holes in the cover - and they worked great. It has zipper doors, however we only went inside the camper one time over the Winter. The cover worked absolutely great. The wind didn't take it off. When we uncovered it this Spring, the trailer was as clean as it was when we put it away. I highly recommend them.
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #10

I purchased an ADCO cover when I picked up my new 2306 last week. I just winterized the TT yesterday and put the cover on. I am very happy with the quality and fit of the cover. I put pipe insulation over the gutters and padded all sharp corners. Installing it was fairly easy, I got on the roof to help pull it on while DW kept it straight.

I have heard some bad comments from people who have covered their TT, but not sure if they bought a quality cover with proper fit or not. I can't stand the thought of my beautiful new TT sitting in the rain, snow and ice for six months with nothing to protect it. I will check it periodically to make sure nothing bad is happening to the cover or the TT finish.

Just my opinion, but I think covering the TT will keep it looking new for years to come and $300.00 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind you will get knowing it's protected. I will post if I discover any downside to using the cover.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #11

I agree with geerfoust - and you won't be disappointed. I simply cut a small X in a tennis ball and press it on the gutter extensions. It stays on and protects the ADCO cover.
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #12

Stay away from covering your trailer. You will probably get some surprises on your finish in the spring. For my part I wax the trailer with a marine wax for fiberglass and this keep my finish like new all the time including the decals.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Stay away from covering your trailer. You will probably get some surprises on your finish in the spring. For my part I wax the trailer with a marine wax for fiberglass and this keep my finish like new all the time including the decals.
Could you please tell me if this is from personal experience or just what you have heard other's say? I'm just curious because I hear people say that covers can cause damage, but not too many people responding this way have first hand knowledge.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #14

Personnally I never had a cover on my full size trailers but I had one on my tent trailer and you could see from the corners that the paint was not glossy as the rest of the trailer. The wind is the culprit in this problem. Many that I read some treads had their finish and decals damaged from a cover because of the wind flapping on the cover and causing some damages on the paint. This is my opinion and probably in some cases it will not happened but I dont want to take the chance. Please read some other treads that were passed previously regarding these covers. Some members were quite upset with the damages the tarps have caused to their finish.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #15

I am having that problem with my gutter extension wearing a hole in my cover. That was a good idea with the tennis balls. I going to try that this weekend.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #16

I feel that it is best to keep any snow off the roof by covering the coach. When snow accumulates and melts and re-freezes, the melting snow might get into any slight opening in the caulking and when it freezes and expands, it could really damage the rig.
JMHO

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly
I agree with geerfoust - and you won't be disappointed. I simply cut a small X in a tennis ball and press it on the gutter extensions. It stays on and protects the ADCO cover.
Just got done putting tennis balls on my gutters. Works great. Excellent tip. Thanks
Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #18

I've read the posts of the good & bad concerning covers. I purchased ours from Camping World. I have had no issues at all and am pleased I put it on, because I felt like the added piece of mind if snow and ice were sitting on the roof seams or any penetration points could be potential water leaks not found for months causing damage(and I clean & inspect the roof several times a year checking the membrane & seams for cracking or tears from limbs). No mold at all and was just like I left it before winter. I do not know what covers or brands of covers were used when others experienced problems. I also use tire covers and think that an RV cover will help keep the decals in better shape with less sun exposure.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote

« Warranty | Ac unit »