RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

RV Owners manuals are pitiful.....

leaving rv owners to skull around to find solutions to problems. Great manuals from chassis manufacturers. Why do they build such nice vehicles and produce such cheap manuals. I have had motorhomes from two different manufaturers and seen several more and they are all the same. Burkshire doesn't even have a separate manual. They lump the Birkshire with all others.
BamaCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

And thus the reason that forums such as this one exists!!

I totally agree with you. When you are new to something, or even when you just want to try and fix something yourself, a 'Detailed' manual would be nice. I guess you can look at it this way. An RV is like your home. When you buy a house no manual comes with it detailing how it was wired, plumbed and so-forth. But again, that why forums like this are so helpful. You still have to rummage around to find the answer you are looking for, but there are plenty of people on here that have probably had the same problem/issue as you and will gladly step you through the solution.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Bama, I couldn't agree more. The documentation with our rigs is pathetic and it's that way with every manufacturer. You would think that they could give you some sort of combination of manuals that would make sense. The fact that there is not a single manual for the house itself is just plain dumb. Even a reference that says your TV is this make and go to that manual would be very helpful.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

i have to respectfully disagree abt the useless manual. i found it is quiet useful for keeping a chair with uneven legs from rocking.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Pete

Ditto above.

However, assuming each RV came with related components manuals (Suburban, Dometic, Toshiba, etc.) we can build our own manual that is undoubtly much better than any that Forest River could compile. I've got all the manuals that came with our MH and put them in three ring binders, along with resolutions obtained from this site and other internet site inquiries. IT IS quite big but very comprehensive.

FR may not be able to create a comprehensive manual with all components due to possible copyright law restrictions from component manufacturers and liability to FR for what they may "say" regarding separately manufactured components.

Chassis manufacturers do have great manuals, but they address what they manufactured in total.

I consider this forum to be my extended owner's manual resource for info.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Future Berkshire Owner

I like the three ring binder idea...gonna do that when we get back home!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #7

Even if the manufacturer did do a better more comprehensive manual no would read it. I think people who break out and read the paperwork are a very small percentage. Not saying it's right, just the way it is....
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #8

You are probably right in most cases......

but if other rv owners experiences are like mine they have many times that they have no choice but to search for solutions to their problems. Sometimes when you are on the road a tech is not around. You get a more professional document with a toaster oven or push lawnmower than with a $250,000.00 motorhome.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Motorized GM

Killman said it best....when I had my house built it came with a "binder" and in that binder was all the individual manuals for each component, nothing on the wiring, plumbing lines, etc.

Toaster Ovens or push mowers are built by the hundreds of thousands. RV's, not so much. My division builds about 2000 a year across (4) models. In addition you could have (10+) floor plans for one model and we're constantly changing and adding floor plans...it could easily be a nightmare trying to keep them current. Instead of complaining how vague they are, we'd be having this discussion about how out of date they are.

I am told that Pleasureway has great manuals specific to each floor plan...but that is also part of my explanation at RV shows when customers ask me why a 22' pleasureway costs twice the amount of a 30' Sunseeker.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #10

bclemens, I understand your point......

a professionally crafted owners manual would add to the cost just as everything else. When you build your house you usually have a complete set of plans including wiring and plumbing diagrams which you had a hand in planning. I agree with those coments above that we have component manuals that can be referred to. Also, the participants on this forum are extremely helpful and thankful that I have been able to call upon them when needed. Also, when I call the Forest River factory techs they are always helpful.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #11

there seems to be a better knowledge base than what is put in the trailer. i pulled mine out from under the chair and thumbed thru it again. it's still vague.
i hate to say it, but my automobile manual isn't detailed enough for me. i tend to buy a service manual to go along with it. i like to know more abt the wiring and how it is run.
i believed i got turned off on my trailer manuel when it used examples from a tag along rather than a 5th wheel.
those things that are specific to the trailer ie drain lines, explain what they are and what they drain. how abt covering winterizing?
i believe too much is assumed. i have learned more on this and another forum in the past year abt my trailer than i did in the previous 15.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #12

I just purchased a 2011 Berkshire and the new manuals are just pathetic. I have questions that should be in a manaual but are not. I have to keep calling the dealer to ask what are probably silly questions but I need answers.
Poodlehaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Motorized GM

Post them here...the forum loves silly questions. Makes us all feel useful. Plus, if someone else comes along with the same questions the answers are already here.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #14

I'd be happy

I understand the idea of a general manual that covers several models, even auto owner manuals do this to some extent but I'd be happy with just a simple this is where things are diagram right now. We just bought a 28BHXL Wildwood, really like it, but trying to learn for those "just in case" problems I've discovered I have no idea where the slide motor is or the water pump. The manual showed a picture of a slide motor and told how to manually run in the slide but not much good if I can't locate it. I've been taking off panels, crawling under, around, still haven't found them. How hard or costly would it be to throw in a paper specific to a model that shows where things like this are?!
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #15

Don't worry, have you really looked at your owners manuals for your recent automobiles? They are very vague at best and they "touch" on every option, that is every option available, and in print following each sub-section is states "if such equipped". Nothing in your vehicle manuals refer to troubleshooting or none the less to repair anything.

What I would like to see is a PDF version of the trailer which are archived on a website available to registered owners, which are listed by year. Create the file, forget printing it with the trailer, and allow the owners who are interested to log on and find something about their trailer, then archive them for 10 yrs or so. PDF's can also have links embedded to direct someone to the appropriate component's website (i.e. furnace, water heater, fridge, axles, etc.)
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

FR generic Manual in Office format.
Not sure what year.
Working on getting the PDF file size increased.
Attached Files
File Type: doc FRManual.doc (8.72 MB, 38 views)
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
Motorized GM

I have it in pdf format. But its 13.1MB
Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
Motorized GM

Whoops, never mind I have the motorized manual.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I have it in pdf format. But its 13.1MB
I have a request in to Janet to increase the allowable PDF size so you can upload it! Thank you.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #20

I personally don't need one, my suggestion is general, I just think the world prints too many papers already, why not cut costs and generate the same info in a format one can download as needed, on the Forest River website under customer support?
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote