Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Saga of the MODE button.....

It's finished!! After chasing my tail on this one for over 6 months, my mode button on the transmission works!!!! YEAH!!!!!

In spite of MANY posts stating that it could be fixed by settings in the tranny control module (using a PC with USB port) that just wasn't true.

FL replaced my entire shift control box (next to the driver seat) and VOILA!! I now have economy mode. Picked up about 1 to 1.5 MPG and get into 6th gear at around 55.

I'm luvvin' it!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
It's finished!! After chasing my tail on this one for over 6 months, my mode button on the transmission works!!!! YEAH!!!!!

In spite of MANY posts stating that it could be fixed by settings in the tranny control module (using a PC with USB port) that just wasn't true.

FL replaced my entire shift control box (next to the driver seat) and VOILA!! I now have economy mode. Picked up about 1 to 1.5 MPG and get into 6th gear at around 55.

I'm luvvin' it!!

Boowho??
Sweet!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Glad everything worked out for you Boo.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Glad everything worked out for you Boo.
Thanks guys.... I'm down to my last real "fight" to get everything going properly; namely my entry step going clunk, clunk, clunk.

Boowho??
Old 06-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

Congrats Boo Hoo. It was because of you that I had ours checked at Allison. Fortunately, ours had it installed. On a recent trip we were getting 10.6 up to 11.4 mpg. Outstanding I thought. Thank you! Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankatp View Post
Congrats Boo Hoo. It was because of you that I had ours checked at Allison. Fortunately, ours had it installed. On a recent trip we were getting 10.6 up to 11.4 mpg. Outstanding I thought. Thank you! Frank
No problem, Frank...... Just email me the $25 consulting fee!!!

BTW, my sister used to live in Newberry, now lives in Hogtown. She's and RN at Shands. A buddy of my was raised in Newberry; his father was the high school principal for years.

Boowho??
Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

It sure is a small world. Hogtown has changed in the 25 years we have been here.We are trying to sell our 163 yr old Victorian home, but not finding the right folks who want to preserve the history. The Wife wants to retire from the VA after serving our Veterans for almost 40 years. We can't wait to be full timers. Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Thanks guys.... I'm down to my last real "fight" to get everything going properly; namely my entry step going clunk, clunk, clunk.

Boowho??
Boowoh, are you sure that it's actually the step? There's a panel in front of and one behind the step. One of ours was loose and banging. We had a bolt and some heavy duty insulating foam added, and now there's not a sound.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Boowoh, are you sure that it's actually the step? There's a panel in front of and one behind the step. One of ours was loose and banging. We had a bolt and some heavy duty insulating foam added, and now there's not a sound.
Ours made a similar sound and found the splash guard was loose behind the step and making the noise while driving.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
No, it's actually the step, guys...... I have watched the steps move with the "hiccups". I'll be in Elkhart later this month, maybe I can get Lippert to look at the steps.... I think that's where they are made...

Boowho??
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

Just last week after weeks ago having my local mobile rv service guy contact Lippert directly (after he conferred with Randy at FR) and they (Lippert) then immediately shipped a complete new step which he installed with no cost to me (all warranty billing covered thru him as a 3rd party master rv tech) on my 2011 390rb which I purchased new from an unhelpful dealer last year. After about $250 of expenses on my own trying to replace stripped gears -- finally (so far so good) no more step grind/clunks! It is all a matter of how your tech is able to effectively communicate the extent of the symptoms and problem.
Boowho, accept nothing other than a new step!
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
Just last week after weeks ago having my local mobile rv service guy contact Lippert directly (after he conferred with Randy at FR) and they (Lippert) then immediately shipped a complete new step which he installed with no cost to me (all warranty billing covered thru him as a 3rd party master rv tech) on my 2011 390rb which I purchased new from an unhelpful dealer last year. After about $250 of expenses on my own trying to replace stripped gears -- finally (so far so good) no more step grind/clunks! It is all a matter of how your tech is able to effectively communicate the extent of the symptoms and problem.
Boowho, accept nothing other than a new step!
Thanks for this info...... I will see what they are willing to do; I'm not the original owner PLUS the warranty is probably expired (1 year I think).... Still if they have a massive problem with the steps and they know it, they'll probably take care of me.

I've messed with it for months. The controller has been replaced; the gears are in good shape; I've adjusted it over and over.

The only thing I haven't done is open the motor itself and see if something is stripped in there.

Boowho??
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #13

Good luck with it. Before ours was replaced our coach was a real "head turner" when we would pull up somewhere then close the door after checking in and the step would do its thing. Not the way we wanted to get attention though!
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
Good luck with it. Before ours was replaced our coach was a real "head turner" when we would pull up somewhere then close the door after checking in and the step would do its thing. Not the way we wanted to get attention though!
Head Turner..... Yep, I arrive with a "bang".

boowho??