Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Satalite TV

I am setting up a Tailgater satalite system and wonder how to run the coax. I have a 2011RB and the entertainment cabinet is directly over the curb side rear basement door. I think I want to drill a hole thru the cabinet and the floor and run the coax to that compartment as there is a access cover to run the dish out the floor. My problem is their is a lot of wires and plumbing there and I am scared to hit anyone of them. I have it set up to run to all the tv's by running the signal as a video. Of course it is all the same channel and not HD on the bedroom or outside but it works. Any advice as to how to run the coax would be appreciated.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

you should have coax in by your water bay or power bay. this will connect to the coax inside your media cabinet underneath the tv. the coax has the light and button on it. make sure the button is pushed so the light is off to use satellite or cable. when the light is on, it's sending power to the hdtv over the air antennae and will screw up your picture, maybe your satellite as well?
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

Haven't tryed it yet, but was planning on hooking to the electrical bay TV outlet. In past just ran the cable thru the window. Let us know how it works. It should.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

I hooked up cable TV to that power bay inlet and it worked on the three TV's inside but not the exterior TV.

My question; When using an HD satellite dish (DirectTV) is there a connection made to cross over from HDMI to coax?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I hooked up cable TV to that power bay inlet and it worked on the three TV's inside but not the exterior TV.

My question; When using an HD satellite dish (DirectTV) is there a connection made to cross over from HDMI to coax?
from what i have found based on my unit:
the outside tv is stand alone and not connected to the media switcher under the midship tv entertainment cabinet. if you want it, you will need to run your own cables there. since you have 3 tv's inside, you will need to upgrade to a 4 tv switch to run from one place.

the coax only goes to your dtv tuner. your dtv tuner outputs the video signal on RCA component analog cables to the media switcher. so you do not have HDTV signal to your tv's.

again, if you want true hdtv to your tv's you will need to upgrade to hdmi or component cables and a better media switch. i believe the 2014 models have an hdmi option you can select. i do not know any of the details on that yet... so i'm building my own upgrade to a true high speed hdmi shielded system.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

Thanks HImcules, whenever you get yours rigged up please post up about it. I would like to do that on mine.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

I had read somewhere that the coax in the power bay would not support HD. Some have had a loss of signal so I wanted to run the cable direct to the sat box. The tailgater also gets its power through the coax so I assumed it would not work. I didn't try. I did drill a hole in the floor in the Cabinet and fished the coax up to the entertainment center. All I need to do is pull the dish out of the bay and turn it on works good. I made a strap to hang on the wall in the basement to coil up and hold the coax. From the RCA switch I did get it to run the bedroom TV on video and I ran the living room direct to the TV HDMI. I will need to reconnect the coax to run off cable but not a big deal. Not sure if the outside TV works yet I will check later I have two TV inside and one outside. I know my outside TV is on the same system as the two inside. I guess FR was a different plan for every MH.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I am setting up a Tailgater satalite system and wonder how to run the coax. I have a 2011RB and the entertainment cabinet is directly over the curb side rear basement door. I think I want to drill a hole thru the cabinet and the floor and run the coax to that compartment as there is a access cover to run the dish out the floor. My problem is their is a lot of wires and plumbing there and I am scared to hit anyone of them. I have it set up to run to all the tv's by running the signal as a video. Of course it is all the same channel and not HD on the bedroom or outside but it works. Any advice as to how to run the coax would be appreciated.

I connected my Carryout to the jack in the electrical compartment near the drivers side back of coach (where the shore power cord is located). I think it's supposed to be for park cable.

The other end of that cable is in the compartment directly below the mid-ship television. I can post a picture of which cable it is, if you want to go that way.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
I had read somewhere that the coax in the power bay would not support HD. Some have had a loss of signal so I wanted to run the cable direct to the sat box. The tailgater also gets its power through the coax so I assumed it would not work .......... I guess FR was a different plan for every MH.

Now THAT I did not know (that the PB coax will not support HD).

Does the TailGator move it's LNB to switch from one sat to another? I can't imagine that the coax would be able to carry that amount of power. My CarryOut needs a 12V PS.

And maybe that's why FR can't tell us how all the coax's are wired; they don't know either!!!

Boowho??
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #10

Quote:
I had read somewhere that the coax in the power bay would not support HD. Some have had a loss of signal so I wanted to run the cable direct to the sat box. The tailgater also gets its power through the coax so I assumed it would not work. I didn't try. I did drill a hole in the floor in the Cabinet and fished the coax up to the entertainment center. All I need to do is pull the dish out of the bay and turn it on works good. I made a strap to hang on the wall in the basement to coil up and hold the coax. From the RCA switch I did get it to run the bedroom TV on video and I ran the living room direct to the TV HDMI. I will need to reconnect the coax to run off cable but not a big deal. Not sure if the outside TV works yet I will check later I have two TV inside and one outside. I know my outside TV is on the same system as the two inside. I guess FR was a different plan for every MH.

the coax is rg6 in my unit. is there a link to where this statement is made that it will not support HD? i think there is alot of misinformation in that statement.

the set top box (stb) tuner sends power through the coax cable to the dish lnb's. the lnb's receive digital satellite signals and sends it back to the stb. the stb outputs the selected channel into one of it's output jacks. because the stb is sending power to the lnb's the antennae boost must be off, otherwise there are 2 sources feeding power through the coax.

if the output is component video or hdmi, the signal is digital HD. if the output is rca or coax, the the converted signal is analog. on my coach, their is a media switch box that takes the signal from the stb and sends it to the 3 tv's it controls. that input is RCA, meaning it is not HD. so the stb may be tuned to a HDTV channel and is receiving HD content, it is outputting analog to the media switch which sends it as analog to the TV. the shortcoming here is the media switch box using RCA cables.

to deliver content to the tv by coax is analog. you will not get HD off this.

when you use the over the air (ota) antennae with the power boost on, you are using the tv's internal tuner to pick up channels. the internal tuner is output'ing HD content to the screen (all internal to the tv).

to say that the coax is not capable of HD as a blanket statement is misleading. it's only a cable. it depends entirely on how the signal is handled and output'ed. RG5 and RG6 can handle digital satellite signal just fine. it's how the signal from the stb gets to the tv determines HD or not.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Phil, I have the same coach and floorplan and had wanted to do the same thing but feared drilling thru that area. Instead whenever we want to set up our carryout dish (we usually only set it up if there is not good cable service at a campsite) then I just run the coax from the dish under the edge of the coach on the ground and slip it between the kitchen slideout floor and gasket. It is easy to push enough through and then hook it directly to my receiver that sits on top of the entertainment cabinet under the tv. The cable once inside tuckes neatly between the kitchen cabinet and the entertainment cabinet. I drilled a hole thru the back corner of the top of the entertainment cabinet thru which I run rca wires to the satellite part of the 3 way switcher that came with the coach so as to be able to watch on any tv. Channel changing has to be controlled from the living room area and it isnt HD but oh well we are camping. I get my HD fix on any of 7 tvs at home so for camping trips it works well enough and is fast and easy enough that I abandoned the idea of drilling anywhere to have a place to hook to the dish from outside. Plus I always trust the concept of an unbroken and uninterrupted cable going right from the dish to the satellite receiver and it only takes a few seconds to slide the cable right under the slideout.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post

Phil, I have the same coach and floorplan and had wanted to do the same thing but feared drilling thru that area. Instead whenever we want to set up our carryout dish (we usually only set it up if there is not good cable service at a campsite) then I just run the coax from the dish under the edge of the coach on the ground and slip it between the kitchen slideout floor and gasket. It is easy to push enough through and then hook it directly to my receiver that sits on top of the entertainment cabinet under the tv. The cable once inside tuckes neatly between the kitchen cabinet and the entertainment cabinet. I drilled a hole thru the back corner of the top of the entertainment cabinet thru which I run rca wires to the satellite part of the 3 way switcher that came with the coach so as to be able to watch on any tv. Channel changing has to be controlled from the living room area and it isnt HD but oh well we are camping. I get my HD fix on any of 7 tvs at home so for camping trips it works well enough and is fast and easy enough that I abandoned the idea of drilling anywhere to have a place to hook to the dish from outside. Plus I always trust the concept of an unbroken and uninterrupted cable going right from the dish to the satellite receiver and it only takes a few seconds to slide the cable right under the slideout.
We are on the same page as far as signal. I will try the coax in the power bay. I assumed it would be degraded from feedback from others that have done it. I drilled a hole close to the wall and found it full of wires and plumbing so I went in 18" and drilled there was nothing. I snaked it over to the corner and caulked the holes. Works good.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
the coax is rg6 in my unit. is there a link to where this statement is made that it will not support HD? i think there is alot of misinformation in that statement.
Himcules, I at first thought that same thing. BUT, I have noticed that my HD picture improves greatly when I switch from the Dish Receiver to OTA. I never thought about it much before; really didn't know why the improvement with OTA. But is is night and day different.....

Specifically, what IS the difference between the various (at least 3) types of COAX's for you with digital video signals??

Boowho??
Old 05-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #14

coax from stb to tv is analog = crappy picture.
coax from ota antennae to tv internal tuner is digital = hdtv 1080i
coax from dish to stb to component to tv is digital = hdtv 1080i max
coax from dish to stb to hdmi to tv is digital = hdtv 1080p and digital audio

so do not use coax into the tv itself and use either hdmi or component video cables and you will have digital tv. do not use RCA composite (not same as component - composite has 1 yellow video plug and 2 analog audio in red and white. component has red, green, and blue video plugs plus 2 analog audio in red and white. with component, some people use optical audio for digital audio to match the digital picture). do not use svideo either, that is analog as well albeit better than composite yellow plug.

best bet is to use hdmi for both digital picture and audio from the stb to the tv. coax from the dish to the stb.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #15

Man, I wish I understood what you guys are saying! I plan to take an old replaced Dish 500 sat dish and my new HDTV vip211 receiver and try to get sat tv to work in my coach. I know I will lose my local channels but maybe I can watch them on antenna and pick up some basketball games this winter on ESPN.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Man, I wish I understood what you guys are saying! I plan to take an old replaced Dish 500 sat dish and my new HDTV vip211 receiver and try to get sat tv to work in my coach. I know I will lose my local channels but maybe I can watch them on antenna and pick up some basketball games this winter on ESPN.

Bill
your satellite subscription service should have local channels with it, no?

either way, if you have an over-the-air (ota) hd antennae, you can get local channels on your tv. otherwise just get it from the satellite service you have.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post

your satellite subscription service should have local channels with it, no?

either way, if you have an over-the-air (ota) hd antennae, you can get local channels on your tv. otherwise just get it from the satellite service you have.
If you get to far from home base you will loose locals.
If you call dish and tell them were your at and with what receiver the will turn on locals where your at.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Bill
Same set up I take with me.
But mines a dvr to.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
man, i wish i understood what you guys are saying! I plan to take an old replaced dish 500 sat dish and my new hdtv vip211 receiver and try to get sat tv to work in my coach. I know i will lose my local channels but maybe i can watch them on antenna and pick up some basketball games this winter on espn.

Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130507_165005.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	29809
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:

Bill
That's what I do as well. I don't think you'll lose locals. You probably use 110, 119, 129 at home. Just align the 500 to get 119 & 129. You'll likely find that you were getting almost nothing on 110.
(Note that you have to "check switch" when you change dishes like that, including when you get back home.)

Edit: My assumption here is that you're paying for HD channels on Dish. If not, then my statements about 119/129 & 110 are likely wrong.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote