Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

Satellite for Dummies 101

Hey folks, yeah it's me again. Just thinking ahead here. So we need to have the internet and a good selection of tv channels ( not 300, but the basic ones that will pull in Nascar, Walking Dead stuff like that ).

So I need a Satellite dish on the roof ? Who's the best provider and the best set up ? ( without breaking the bank of course ) lol

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Hey folks, yeah it's me again. Just thinking ahead here. So we need to have the internet and a good selection of tv channels ( not 300, but the basic ones that will pull in Nascar, Walking Dead stuff like that ).

So I need a Satellite dish on the roof ? Who's the best provider and the best set up ? ( without breaking the bank of course ) lol
Joe, I don't like ANY of them.... All WAY overpriced for what they give you... That's my opinion anyhow...

But having said that, DISH is probably the better deal..

You can buy a Winegard Antenna that will receive all channels in HI-DEF... For around $600. It can be mounted on the roof or on a temporary stand on the ground. The antenna can also be used for DirectTV, but ONLY for standard def.

Once you have the antenna you can either buy a cheap receiver to go with it (like around $160, IIRC) or just "borrow" the one from your house when you go out in the coach.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #3

I have the WineGaurd Mission in motion mounted on my roof. I have DirectTV. Only time I don't like it is when my campsite has low hanging branches that block the signal. At times like those I just use the OTA antenna.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Just noticed a Winegard Pathway X1 with receiver for 399.00.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #5

Dish Network has a web page that you can put in the channels you desire and it will show you which package would be required to get those channels. They space those channels around in the packages so that you will probably need the 200 channel package anyway.

The traveler antenna is the best and picks up all three satellites at once just like a Home antenna. But being the best, it will break the bank. :-)
Old 09-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Just noticed a Winegard Pathway X1 with receiver for 399.00.
Does that one mount on the roof as you wanted?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Does that one mount on the roof as you wanted?
Think it did, need to find it again.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Think it did, need to find it again.
I see, it is a dome with an optional roof mount.
I was picturing the x2.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #9

If you can get a roof mounted unit for that price, go for it.

Now, it will not get a signal while you are in motion.

It will probably be a single LNB; that means that you can only watch/record two different channels at the same time, IF they are on the same "bird"; Dish uses three "birds"; 110, 119 and 129.

It should be very comparable to my old "carry out" model which actually moves the LNB to the correct satellite when you change channels.

My comments are pretty much specific to DishNetwork since that's my provider. DirectTV antennas may or may not be exactly the same.

Boowho??
Old 09-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #10

I have a winguard and it works great. Dish network at home and for the mobile receiver I only pay $7.99/month. Works great. If I'm in an area with good wifi I can also log into my home DVR and watch from that through my computer that's connected to my TV through a HDMI cable. Best of luck.

-David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #11

Joe, there is a lot to learn about satellite reception. My suggestion to you is please take your time, There is many past threads on this subject that probably got worn out. So do some searching.

From what I learned, I will just give you a few tips. The Winegard Travler appears to be the best fixed mounted. Dome antennas suffer from rain. Fixed mounts may have tree problems and is why some even have a mobile antenna as well. Local channels are only available within a spot beam of your home and you generally do not get locals in your camping area. An exception to this is if you sign up for an RV account with Dish,
DISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay As You Go TV for RV, Camping, Tailgating, & the Great Outdoors

With this account you have a billing and service address. You can call them and change your service address when you are on the go and thereby get locals This account also has not contracts or fees and you pay as you go. Dish doesn't advertise but they have a starter package that is like $29/ mo.

Take your time on this upgrade because it could bite you later for a wrong decision.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #12

Take your time on this upgrade because it could bite you later for a wrong decision. __________________
Hank & Gale - 2012 Berkshire 390BH

Thank you for your advice and to all the others as well. You have all been through these issues before and I value your input.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

JTN8 has the Winegard HD satellite system. It's a lot more expensive, but it has a greater chance of getting signals if there are trees around your campsite.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Take your time on this upgrade because it could bite you later for a wrong decision. __________________
Hank & Gale - 2012 Berkshire 390BH

Thank you for your advice and to all the others as well. You have all been through these issues before and I value your input.
Good advice..... I should have been more thorough in my previous advisory message.

Boowho??
Old 09-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

I do not like roof mounted dishes because I try to park in the shade. I can put a portable dish anywhere within about 100 feet of my RV which increases my chances of good reception.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #16

We have Dish at home and take 2 boxes with us in our 5th wheel. We receive HD in most locations. The auto search antennas don't provide HD for Direct TV. Also with DISH you can call from any location and have them switch your local stations to where you currently are, at no charge. We have a King Dome on the roof and a full dish with tripod just in case trees are in the way. If I were buying today I would get one of the available antenna that can be roof mounted and moved to be used as a portable. King has one specifically made for DISH. Make sure you get one that is specifically made for 2 TV's if you have two. There are some that say they can be used with two TV's but are not engeneered to do do do. Also be aware that with the auto searching antennas you can watch different stations on the two TV's, but they must be coming from the same satellite. Not usually a problem with Dish as in most locations all HD stations are on satellite 129.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #17

I bought a Tailgater when I bought RV. Use dish. Liked Dish so much, gave up Comcast and put Dish in house. With Dish and traveling, call them and give them zip code where you are staying and you get local channels.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #18

I just bought a Dish Tailgater, and receiver for about $400 that will allow me to look at all my home programs while on the road.
Herdboar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #19

I like the Dish Trav'ler. The basic crank up antenna that came with my Solera is useless outside of a large city and I'm usually not traveling in the city. Spending the extra money for the roof mount was well worth it for me. After a long day of driving and then setting up in my space, I'm tired and don't want the hassle of setting up a tripod, compasses locating the satellite & locking it to prevent theft. I researched the various systems and felt this was the best & easiest way to go.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #20

We bought a 211Z and Tailgater last year, we had some problems with a weak signal. So we returned it to CW and got a Winegard Pathway X2 that we have been very happy with.

We also picked up a Digital Over the Air Receiver and use the antenna for the locals rather than changing the dish as we move since it screws up dish at home.

Here's a link;

Digital Over-The-Air Tuner for ViP 211z Receiver - Pace International DISH-OTATUNER - Receivers - Camping World
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite