Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #1

My 2011 390 RB has a hookup under the entertainment center labelled "satellite prep" -- I have a working dish and receiver setup (tested it outside in yard before attempting to hook up in the MH) but can't seem to figure out where to hook up the cable from the dish to the coach. The input hookup used for campground cable doesnt seem to work for this. The only way to get it to work was to run the cable directly into the coach under a slide out to the DirecTV receiver to get a signal. This works but seems a bit messy to have to do in a $150k camper.
Any advice from someone who knows how to hook this up a little better and more simply and possible use the "satellite prep" as advertised?
The satellite prep attachment under the entertaiment center must be there for something but I cant figure out how to make it work.

The techs at the dealer are great guys but although experts in everything chassis related they dont seem to know much about entertainment electronics especially satellite tv.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

Not sure of your set up, my previous TT had the same issue though, turned out I had to go behind the booster plate and take out the manufacturer's splitter which would not let sat signal pass through, and directly wire the outside to the box. In other words, i basically bypassed their splitter, so when i connected the dish outside to the hook up for the cable, it was just like a direct feed to the trailer.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #3

Yeah I did that on my old 5th wheel very easily but here it seems the manufacturer's attempt at a home theater setup seems to have complicated this. Plus it is not as easy to route a dedicated cable through all the steel in this bus as I had been able to do easily in previous trailers. I'd hate to think that on my 4th rv that cost more than 3x as much as all of the previous ones combined I might have to for the first time run the satellite dish cable through a window!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #4

LOL I know the feeling, not sure what your options are.....I just picked up my new rig today and I have a sat 1 and sat 2 input on the panel and then each room has the sat ones....havent tried it yet, Im crossing my fingers that i can figure it out LOL
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #5

That sounds more like what I was hoping to have but don't. Congrats on your new rig!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #6

The thing you have going for you is you have established a signal from your dish. The input in the electric compartment should be an rg6 cable which is routed into the entertainment center. Somewhere in there is the other end of the cable. With the dish positioned you can connect to the "cable in" and check all of the potential connectors in the cabinet. With my 390bh they gave me so many books yet so many systems(including entertainment) aren't covered.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote