Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Service manual

Does anyone know how to get a service manual on a Berkshire? My unit is out of warranty and I am several 100 miles to the closest dealer which make any service issues very expensive without a manual. I had an intermittent a/c problem with the cab air and paid three times for the service due to the wait for the poor service response from the factory to send the information and drawings. This is from a Freightliner RV service center not Joe's RV. Any help would be appreciated.

2009 Berkshire 390BH

billj770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

Are you looking for a manual on the Bershire or the AC on the chassis or the Freightliner chassis itself?

Forest River's manuals tend to be generic not model specific so I doubt you will find much for the motorhome. Use the 'Portal' menu item in the upper left of the menu bar then scroll down and look to the right side. You will see a link to '2004 Forest River Owners Manual' there. I doubt it will do much for you though.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, I would like schematics on the coach. Electrical is the weak link on this coach and to have information on fuses, solenoids, wiring color, part numbers, item descriptions and so on is a must to do service promptly
Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #4

I hear ya Bill. Unfortunately I don't think FR has wiring schematics available for the motorhomes. Many have asked and called and been told they don't exist. Freightliner is a different situation I would think that anything "chassis" related would be well documented by them. As far as I know the AC on the cab is an aftermarket supplier to FR so neither of them would have that. I also don't know if it is the same company as the ones used on the gas rigs. I have the "manual" for our cab AC but I don't think it really tells much. I think I have it in PDF format if you want it but again I don't know if it will do you any good.

Sorry.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #5

Thanks again, the cab AC is a Freightliner & FR issue. The problem was a relay from FR in the rear of the coach that controls the clutch for the compressor. The big service issue was tracing the wiring (FR) to the relay(FR) and then replacing the $26 item not knowing color codes on the wires or locations it the items. At $134.00 an hour at Freightliner, I do not like them "looking" too much. It is hard to believe FR does not have manuals. That will be part of my next purchase when I buy another coach.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #6

FWIW Bob I don't think many RV manufacturers do manuals the way you might like. We have had Fleetwood and Winnebago in the past with about the same thing from both. I know what you mean on not wanting Freightliner to do much "looking". It's the one thing that really concerns me about moving up to a diesel rig is the possible repair bills. I'm am the kind to do it all myself if I can.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #7

Bill,

Looking at all the paperwork I got with my berkshire, there are no schematics located anywhere in any of the manuals. You will have to call Forest River and request the A/C schematics.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, surveyor