Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
OK, mine is BA7897 How did we determine that we were 6 numbers difference? I can't remember, but thought we figured that out a coupla years ago.

Boowho??

Was that the night you were both 3 sheets to the wind ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #62

I have no idea how we got that idea. Maybe we figured out the build date for the MH. What month was yours made.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I have no idea how we got that idea. Maybe we figured out the build date for the MH. What month was yours made.
Actually, I think it was comparing the FR VIN, not the FL VIN.

My FR VIN last 7 are Z050680

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #64

Mine is Z050632 so we are 48 apart on FR VIN mine being older. But the chassis is only 4 apart so for the clutch fan issue we should be the same.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Mine is Z050632 so we are 48 apart on FR VIN mine being older. But the chassis is only 4 apart so for the clutch fan issue we should be the same.
Agreed. I'd be HIGHLY surprised if you're not OK.

I've pestered them enough already, but maybe someone else could ask FL the cutoff point at which the old hub was gotten rid of and the new one put into production. Should be a simple VIN range for each type of hub.

Boowho??
Old 10-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #66

I can't find a FR vin number. My coach was made in February 2011.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I can't find a FR vin number. My coach was made in February 2011.

It's on the yellow sticker on the entry screen door.

boowho??
Old 10-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #68

For those interested here is the Service Solution Document from Freightliner. The updated 5 bolt part number is HOR 992092. There are also part numbers for the bolts (capscrews) and washers (not that you need these specific washers).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf freightliner service solution.pdf (1.11 MB, 78 views)
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #69

Sheared Fan Hub Bolts revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
It's on the yellow sticker on the entry screen door.

boowho??
Not so in my case. 2014 390 BH-60. The VIN on the yellow door sticker is the FL VIN.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #70

Correction mine is z050682 not 32 so we are only 2 apart I misread the number on paper work when I looked at the label I saw the correct number. So Boo my chassis is 4 older than yours but the coach is 2 newer they must have been built the same week.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
For those interested here is the Service Solution Document from Freightliner. The updated 5 bolt part number is HOR 992092. There are also part numbers for the bolts (capscrews) and washers (not that you need these specific washers).
James:
Great find, where did you get the bulletin? I am still quite confused from the statement on the last page - see >>>>

For complete diagrams, repair instructions, parts, and torque specs in the event that unit has a complete fan hub or mounting failure. Make sure to use only the latest fan hub in the supersession chain, as it requires 5 bolts and washers instead of the original 4 bolts and washers. In addition to ordering the latest fan hub. you will also need to order 5 capscrews which are part # N210931 008004 and 5 washers which are part # 23-12927-008. This new hardware will be torqued to 24 ft/lbs and apply blue 242 lock-tite. Click on attachments for install drawing.
From Boohoo's Access Panel thread, Silver had a great illustration. It shows to me that the fan is attached to the clutch via 6-bolts. The clutch is attached to the fan hub via 4-bolts and the fan hub bracket is attached to the engine either by 4 or 5 bolts. The bulletin statement above (in bold) states to use the latest fan hub with 5-bolts.

James the pictures in the bulletin are great, but where are the five threaded holes in the engine block?

I take it that the four bolt usage is from a certain date backwards and not forwards.

Hank

Attached Thumbnails
Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Not so in my case. 2014 390 BH-60. The VIN on the yellow door sticker is the FL VIN.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
On mine, they are BOTH listed.

Boowho??
Old 10-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
James:
Great find, where did you get the bulletin? I am still quite confused from the statement on the last page - see >>>>

For complete diagrams, repair instructions, parts, and torque specs in the event that unit has a complete fan hub or mounting failure. Make sure to use only the latest fan hub in the supersession chain, as it requires 5 bolts and washers instead of the original 4 bolts and washers. In addition to ordering the latest fan hub. you will also need to order 5 capscrews which are part # N210931 008004 and 5 washers which are part # 23-12927-008. This new hardware will be torqued to 24 ft/lbs and apply blue 242 lock-tite. Click on attachments for install drawing.
From Boohoo's Access Panel thread, Silver had a great illustration. It shows to me that the fan is attached to the clutch via 6-bolts. The clutch is attached to the fan hub via 4-bolts and the fan hub bracket is attached to the engine either by 4 or 5 bolts. The bulletin statement above (in bold) states to use the latest fan hub with 5-bolts.

James the pictures in the bulletin are great, but where are the five threaded holes in the engine block?

I take it that the four bolt usage is from a certain date backwards and not forwards.

Hank

Attached Thumbnails
The page was sent to me from Freightliner as I planned to do this repair myself. My bracket and bolts had failed and I didn't want to spin my wheels trying to figure out stuff talking to a dealer. Contacted Freightliner Custom Chassis direct. They were excellent to deal with.....well, Like boowho, I got the blow off initially, but after I called back and a civil discussion they were quite helpful.

Page 3 lower left dialogue box points to where the 5th hole is to be used, relocating the current wiring bracket. Page 4 shows the bracket with bolt installed as well. Look at the triangle dialogue box with the 3 in it. It has an arrow going up pointing to the extra 5th hole.

The statement is correct, the latest hub in the "suppression chain" is this hub (or bracket, same thing) that utilizes 5 bolts to mount vs the OEM original 4
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #74

Thanks' James. I suppose many are wondering when the 5-hole version kicked in.
Hank

Tags
fan