Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Sight seeing the SF bay area

Anyone done this recently? Are the stories about certain people walking around naked in downtown, true? If not, anything else that might be "revolting" to average people.

I've been there once almost 40 years ago and loved it. I'd like to stop thru for the sake of the DW (who's never been there) but she's convinced all we'll see is perversion and debauchery on every corner.

Cross the Golden Gate, maybe visit Fisherman's Wharf, ride the cable cars, etc.

Anyone?

Finally, I hasten so add that I'm not homophobic... My best friend's son is gay and I've had many discussions with him on the topic. If I'm going to be judgmental, it'll be in a one-on-one basis.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
2012 Solera

We live in the Bay Area and visit San Fran regularly. Beautiful city. Great place to visit. No more "perversion and debauchery" than in any other similar size city.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Visited SF this year in Feb but not camping. We drove up Rt 1(wow!!) from LA staying in Cambria overnight. SF is an awesome city with some of the best views anywhere! Some interesting characters around the Fishermans Wharf area and the bayfront market but no more than here in SE VA. We did the cable cars, buses and trams (buy a daily pass that covers all 3) and then got in the car at night and did it all over again! Also took a tour of Napa and Sonoma by limo, best value ever, and the wine was superb. On our next West Coast camping trip we will definitely "be Back!!"
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

We just did SF in early august. Stayed at the petaluma KOA, about 30 minutes north of the city. We took the ferry in one day from Sausalito and drove the Golden Gate the next day. Did the duck tour, which was very informative, cable car, fishermans wharf and pier 39. We had our 3 kids (12, 10, and 8) and it was fine. Street entertainers were a blast. All very polite and appreciative of any support. Kids even got pictures with some of them. Alcatraz tour was booked 3 weeks out, so if you want to do that, all now and see what is available. although it's going into the off season now, so it may not be as long of a wait.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

We also took a day to do Sonoma and another day for the coast. Enjoyed them all.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

SF one of the nicest city's to visit. I have not camped there but love the whole region.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Thanks for all the good responses...... It'll be entirely up to the DW whether we go or not. I've been there before, so for me personally, I don't care one way or the other.

If she decides against, oh well, her loss.....

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote