Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Sirius Radio Antenna

I have recently hooked up a Sirius radio to my RVs Jensen radio, and it works great!

The antenna that comes with it, I currently have sitting on the dash. I find that reception is intermittent in that location.

I am guessing I am going to have to put it on the roof. Has anyone run an antenna through the roof into the RV, and if so how did you do it?

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

I have a Sunseeker 2860ds ford cassis. I mounted my magnetic XM antenna on the hood just in front of the windshield. It doesn't move and the signal is consistent.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

Try getting a 6 inch square piece of metal to put the antenna on. It is looking for a ground plane. Made a big difference for me and I have had antenna inside the Berk for 5 years now. works great. did not work befroe the metal.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I have a Sunseeker 2860ds ford cassis. I mounted my magnetic XM antenna on the hood just in front of the windshield. It doesn't move and the signal is consistent.

Thanks...I'll give that a try.

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

I do not see any where which Berkshire you have but on our 38A there is a ledge on top of the windshield that the sun shield is mounted too.I ran the XM wire up the drivers side of the molding and placed the antenna on the shelf.It does not have to be metal to work just high enough so receive a good signal.Hope this helps
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #6

I used industrial strength Velcro and placed the antenna in the middle top of the windshield and ran the wire down the windshield by the center column.... (My 2008 has the split windshield). Works great....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Sirius antenna does not need a ground plane like a CB antenna. You can just stick it to the Roof. I did this with some Dicor sealant, works great!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

I can't say either way on the ground plane thing. I've seen arguments that it worked when a piece of metal was added and other arguments that it isn't needed, just like these posts. I haven't tried the metal on the dash but may do it just to see. The biggest issue I know of with putting the antenna on the dash, windshield or anywhere other than the roof is the satellite location. The Sirius XM satellites, like most others, are orbiting over the equator. Since I'm north of the equator, with the antenna sitting on the dash, I get great reception when driving south, pretty reliable with heading east of west and absolutely no reception when heading north. Fiberglass in the RV skin is transparent to the signal, but mass will block it just the same, so upper cabinets, structural framing, etc. will kill the signal. Wish I knew an easy way to get it on the roof but I don't want to go drilling holes.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

X2 on what Oldkeywest said. Works like a gem in my 39BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

CONCEPTUMATOR, You have the same shelf as the 38A and if you place the antenna face up in the shelf it is out of the way from any interference.Have no problem receiving signal while driving North,South,East or West.As for the magnet on the antenna it is to hold the antenna on the cars and that is all.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, oldkeywest91 - I'll have to see if I can find that shelf

Old 07-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
2014 XLR 27HFS

Do you have a slide out? I saw a post the other day where someone stuck a low profile XM antenna to the roof of the slide out and ran the wire inside from there. He said there was enough clearance that it did not hit anything solid while extending/retracting the slide. I'm seriously (haha) thinking of doing that myself.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

We have two slides but only one might have a way to get the wire back to the dash and that wouldn't be easy by any means. We only listen while driving so it would need to be on the roof above the slide anyway. The best way is to put it on the roof and bring the cable in where the existing AMFM antenna is now but I'm too lazy (and fat) to get up there. Thanks, though.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I can't say either way on the ground plane thing. I've seen arguments that it worked when a piece of metal was added and other arguments that it isn't needed, just like these posts. I haven't tried the metal on the dash but may do it just to see. The biggest issue I know of with putting the antenna on the dash, windshield or anywhere other than the roof is the satellite location. The Sirius XM satellites, like most others, are orbiting over the equator. Since I'm north of the equator, with the antenna sitting on the dash, I get great reception when driving south, pretty reliable with heading east of west and absolutely no reception when heading north. Fiberglass in the RV skin is transparent to the signal, but mass will block it just the same, so upper cabinets, structural framing, etc. will kill the signal. Wish I knew an easy way to get it on the roof but I don't want to go drilling holes.

Satellites Radiosat 1 through Radiosat 3 fly in geosynchronous highly elliptical orbit (Tundra orbit) in a 23 Hour, 56 Minute orbital period (1 sidereal day). The elliptical path of its satellite constellation ensures that each satellite spends about 16 hours a day over the continental United States, with at least one satellite over the country at all times. The orbit allows the satellites to broadcast from directly overhead the continental United States, avoiding the problem of large buildings or objects blocking the signal and requiring a much smaller terrestrial repeater network than does sister network XM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_elliptical_orbit
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #15

DJP6371 - I hope you can achieve good results with some of the suggestions here. I will tell you, I had no luck as long as the antenna was inside our 08. I tried on the dash, above the steel front tv frame, etc. I finally gave up and mounted the antenna on the roof. I bought a 25 foot cable extension (available on-line through several sources). I took the stock antenna and attached a small flat steel electrical plate to the top of the frig vent. I sealed it down and the antenna magnet holds nicely to the plate. I dropped the antenna wire down the frig vent shaft and then ran the connector through the wall under our frig. The extension cable ran under the carpet edge and was out of the way. I've had this setup now for two years with zero issues. It sounds like more work that it actually was. Getting the ladder out took longer than anything else!

Best of luck to you.
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #16
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
... and mounted the antenna on the roof. I bought a 25 foot cable extension (available on-line through several sources). I took the stock antenna and attached a small flat steel electrical plate to the top of the frig vent. I sealed it down and the antenna magnet holds nicely to the plate. I dropped the antenna wire down the frig vent shaft and then ran the connector through the wall under our frig. The extension cable ran under the carpet edge and was out of the way...
Best of luck to you.
Brilliant, JB. I'm sold, added this one to my list.

Tags
antenna, radio