Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Slide lock

Does anyone use the slide lock bars that come with the Berkshire? My dealer never told me about them and I found them in the back closet. I'm not sure how to use them but I'm sure I could figure it out. So what do you do use them only on long trips or not at all?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I don't move the camper without them in place.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rs-8378-2.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will call the dealer to see what the risks of not using them are. This is for a MH and the way they lift before sliding out I can't see how they could slid out by accident. I don't want to be careless so I will check.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #4

slide locks

I do use them .... but like you, I was given no instruction on how to use them. I have been told that they are only needed on the two hydraulic slides in the front of the coach. Have asked the dealer the best spot to place them, however they don't seem to have a clear answer. I even went so far as to email forest river directly ... still no clear answer. After a little trial and error I have landed on the following technique.

I place the slide lock about half way up the wall with teh lock placed as close to the slide as possible. Be very careful not to over tighten the lock unless you have a burning desire to reattach the wooden molding the surround the inside edge of the slides.

Extend the slide to approximate length by pushing in button and pulling lock apart. place the lock into position and tighten by rotating the central barral of the lock.

Goodluck
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #5

It seems to me that you would have to have a total hydro system failure to allow the slides to open. In a accident situation I can see that happen but not sure those bars will help in a wreck serious enough to cause the system to fail.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #6

My understanding is that they are put in place to prevent the slide from openning in the case of a major hydraulic leak.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I don't move the camper without them in place.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rs-8378-2.html
X2! I had a problem with my kitchen slide when I first got my new coach. After having it repaired we were travelling and my son and his wife were sitting at the dinette table with their daughter and he said that he could see the slide moving in and out at the top while we were travelling. Knowing that I had a problem with that slide, I wanted to keep as much stress as possible off the slide mechanism. That's when I started using the slide locks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #8

This very thing has been unsettling to me from the start. The idea of the slide locks is very good and the use is likely very important. However I have serious doubts about the ability of the slide locks to adequately restrict movement of the slide given that the contact points are at a random point on the exterior wall (where are the structural members within that wall?) and on the wooden trim for the slide. The wooden trim seems woefully inadequate for such a force as would be necessary to keep the slide in place during anything like an accident.

Maybe we should hound FR until we get a better response.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

I didn't get any and I haven't seen the slides extend out into the other lane yet.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Maybe we should hound FR until we get a better response.
I agree. The more we know abut our coaches- the better!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #11

The slide lock not only keep slide from going out it also keeps them from shaking while traveling which can damage the slide so they only take a few minutes to put in they are worth using
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #12

Alright, what about electric slides? Would they be needed on them? I don't use them now but maybe I can be convinced.

Tell me some horror stories!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #13

My 2011 came with 4 locks for the front slides. I assume I don't need them for the back 2. Still not sure I will use any of them. I'm not sure the vibration is worse on the front or that the locks are tight enough two stop that much weight from doing much except opening if I lose all the fluid in my system. To tighten them enough to stop vibration would most likely damage the frame around the slide.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

This is a MH thread and I know diddly about MH slides.

The slides in my 5th wheel have specific places to place the lock.

The slide lock is used to prevent movement of the slide as a result of travel forces that can start the slide moving. The weight of the slide will ratchet the clutch in the rack gearing and could open completely in a hard turn.

Once in motion, nothing will stop it until it reaches full travel. Preventing it from moving takes much less force. Properly placed and adjusted (King Kong definitely not required), no damage to the trim should result.

If you have ever heard the ratcheting sound when fully open or closed, you have heard the pinion gear hopping on the rack. With the lock in place, the slide is forced in and downward, compressing the spring loaded pinion gear; preventing the "hopping" that could release the slide on a rough road or a sharp turn.

Without the lock in place the slide can bounce on the pinion gear assembly until it clears the tooth of the rack it is sitting in, the slide could then move to its full extended position very rapidly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 005.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	15470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Shots and others 025.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	15471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 003.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	15472  
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #15

I'm not sure if my slide locks for my Sunseeker are the same as what you're talking about, mine are just 4 rods with rubber boots on the end of them, they just wedged down into place, and I always use them when going down the road. The motorhome walls and slides are pretty heavy duty so I put one in each corner of my two slides. My slides are electric and without them you can see the tops of the slides moving in and out when you hit holes in the road.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #16

Herk: you make a very good case for using the slide locks, however I didn't receive any when I purchased my unit. I'm not sure if it was an option or that they just weren't thrown in the rig when it was manufactured. It's been over a year since I purchased, so I doubt if the dealer will pony up a set now. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. A phone call tomorrow morning. BTW, there isn't a sticker anywhere on the wall indicating placement of the locks. I wonder if any of the corporate guys here can say if they are required and/or if it should be a standard piece of equipment.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Terry, not all slide types need them. I was told if you were given one; it was needed; if not you did not.

For example my "third" slide is a Wardrobe NORCO wire drive slide and the only way it can come out is under power. Takes 2 men and a boy to get to the aft of the motor to put on the drive extension to use a power drill to close it if the motor fails.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flex Drive Tool.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	15486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wardrobe Slideout Motor.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	15487  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf accuslide_install-manual.pdf (2.84 MB, 18 views)
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #18

My Wildcat with Hydraulic slides did not come with slide locks and does not seem to move after slides are closed also with the Hydraulic slides I would hate to think what would happen if you forget to remove them and try to open slide ..

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
My Wildcat with Hydraulic slides did not come with slide locks and does not seem to move after slides are closed also with the Hydraulic slides I would hate to think what would happen if you forget to remove them and try to open slide ..
That's why I did this. I remove the warning sign after I remove the slide locks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Warning sign.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	15499  
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad