Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

Slide out cable

I have Berkskire 390FL. The end connector in the dining area slideout just came off and cable is lose. Is it safe to retract slide? Will the cable tangle up somewhere and cause further damage?
DallasRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
clr

Is it the cables themselves that have come loose from the slide or the plastic support for the cables that have come loose. In my experience the cables into the slides do not have connectors on the ends but come from the frame and into a hole on the end of the slide that is then sealed up. If it is just the cable support I would say it would be safe to retract the slide just ensure that the cables will not be pinched in any way when the slide is retracted.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

The cable itself came loose from the slide. The cables have a termination cap that then slips into a bracket that attaches to the slide. My worry is that if I pull it in, the mechanism that winds the cable taught might just keep winding until it wraps up the entire cable and jams something. Maybe I can just clamp a nut & bolt on it so it won't pull through.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
clr

Clamping it sounds like a good idea. Sounds like the Berkshire may have a more substantial cable termination arrangement than most.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Ron,
The cable slide mechanism is made by a company called NORCO. You can look on their website and see their user manual. I also had a cable break on me once. I'm not sure when it broke but I noticed it after I was walking around my coach. I may have used the slide after it broke but I'm not sure because I don't know exactly when it broke.
You might also try calling NORCO and see if there is someone you can speak with about your situation.
Good luck,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Think I will clamp it pull it in and hopefully be on my way and call NORCO when they are open.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasRon View Post
I have Berkskire 390FL. The end connector in the dining area slideout just came off and cable is lose. Is it safe to retract slide? Will the cable tangle up somewhere and cause further damage?

I've also got a 390fl and when I was having it detailed, the detailer told me that one of the cables to the bedroom (street side) slide had come off from the top. We slid it back into the key slot and when I got home I got a small plastic cap, grooved it and put it into the key slot to keep the cable from coming out again. I also thought of using a small bolt and nut at the edge of the key slot.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasRon View Post
Thanks for the replies. Think I will clamp it pull it in and hopefully be on my way and call NORCO when they are open.
Be careful when using a clamp so that it doesn't crush something when you close the slide.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #9

If you have not retracted the slide yet detach the cable from the motor. The clamp will ether pull right through the side of the motorhome or damage the motor. You need the broken cable end to connect the new cable to. This is how they thread the hew cable in. I have been there and done that twice on my coach and on several other coaches. Becoming quite the expert.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out