Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Slide out cable wire breaking

I have a new 2017 berkshire, 38 A. The cable wires on the main slide which is hydrolic driven have snapped off 2 times. Its the same wires, the cables towards the rear of coach,I have only had the coach slides out 5 times total.
Anyone else having this Problem? Or have any ideas what might be causing them to snap?
Ctudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

I have not had any problems like that, hope that the dealer and FR take

care of it ASAP. Please let us know what the resolution is.

I assume that the cable breaks when bringing the slide in?

Is it coming in crooked? What does the dealer have to say?
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Ctutor
I see you are in Pennsylvania. It might be worth talking to Randy about this issue. Obviously you have something going on in the slides that are causing the cable to break. Who replaced the first set? If you need contact info for Randy here it is. Do yourself a favor and try to just deal with him.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1479740738.461384.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	125549

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

When the cables break it usually means that they are not aligned properly. If they are not aligned they flex when they go in and out -like when you try to break a piece off a metal coat hanger and you bend it back and forth until it snaps. The new cables would need to be properly aligned or they will break also.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
When the cables break it usually means that they are not aligned properly. If they are not aligned they flex when they go in and out -like when you try to break a piece off a metal coat hanger and you bend it back and forth until it snaps. The new cables would need to be properly aligned or they will break also.

Tom are you south yet? How you doing?

Old 11-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Phil,
Sent you a PM.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

Somehow slide must be getting cocked and hanging up to break a cable
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #8

From my experience... You have the Accuslide system. (so do I). Steel cables will stretch - especially when new. When the cables stretch, the slides sag. When the slides sag, cables tend to break.

I had the same trouble with mine. Basically when the coach is new, or you put in new cables, you need to check the tension and alignment more often. I'm trying to check mine every 6 months... Somewhere on this forum, someone posted a link to the Accuslide manufacturer's cable tension adjustment procedure.

Best of luck!

Carl
2015 Charleston 430BH
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Had this problem while down in Fort Wilderness last winter.Both the rear upper and lower cables snapped.Had to use 2x4 to lock the slide in and sent the coach back to Randy to fix.He says they had slide techs.come to the factory to adjust positioning of slide,replaced cables and seals and so far no more broken cables.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

I have a wardrobe slide with 4 cables which always unsnapped from the slide. They were repaired under warranty. This time one of the bottom cables would not retract and I got a big clunking sound when trying to close the slide. It almost sounded as if the motor detached and is lying somewhere in the slide. Would know it, warranty expired last June and I'm pretty sure FR won't give me the time of day on this problem. I am now in LaBelle, Florida and apparently the only reputable mobile RV repair is RV Doctor which charges around $120 just for the service call. I wonder if they wear a mask when they come?
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

It's a bit of a drive but try Dream Land in Fort Myers. They helped Paulie out big time last year. Only about 25-30 miles. I hear bad things about RV doc. We are just down the road from you at Cypress Trail

Old 12-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
BobbyJ

Just had my 2016 38A slide cables reattached at the factory. Much smoother now. Seems the center sprocket failed.

But, there is always a but...

Make sure when you move that big slide you have a window or door open. There is a major pressure shift that must be made when the big slide is moved.
You might be surprised of the force needed to overcome that pressure difference on such a large slide. Try to crush an empty plastic bottle with the cap on. Can't do it. Take off the cap. Now try again.

We have a label on the panel. "OPEN WINDOW FIRST."

Regards,

BobbyJ
State College, Pa.
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post
Just had my 2016 38A slide cables reattached at the factory. Much smoother now. Seems the center sprocket failed.

Make sure when you move that big slide you have a window or door open. There is a major pressure shift that must be made when the big slide is moved.
You might be surprised of the force needed to overcome that pressure difference on such a large slide. Try to crush an empty plastic bottle with the cap on. Can't do it. Take off the cap. Now try again.

Regards,

BobbyJ
State College, Pa.
That is a good tip and will do that from now on...

did the factory guy give you that tip?
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #14
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post

Regards,

BobbyJ
State College, Pa.
Yup, had to do that on my fiver with massive slide too. There the door was next to the panel. In the 38A the vent hatch in the galley is closest.

Tags
cable, slide, slide out