Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

On my coach, no they are not the same. The power awning cover is a good bit different from the slide topper covers.

EDIT: Oops.... just looked at the Carefree site and the Unigard pic. They do appear similar. Of course, on the slide toppers there is no hinge. As I remember when the tech installed mine he removed the end caps, put the cover on and re-installed the end caps.

Boowho??
Do the slide topper covers you had put on cover the top of the rolled up slide topper awning when retracted? Mine came from the factory with end caps and a guard underneath the slide toppers that looks just like yours in your pictures but has nothing on top but they look like they shield the slide toppers from wind when retracted.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
Do the slide topper covers you had put on cover the top of the rolled up slide topper awning when retracted? Mine came from the factory with end caps and a guard underneath the slide toppers that looks just like yours in your pictures but has nothing on top but they look like they shield the slide toppers from wind when retracted.
If you look at my picture, I think you can see a seam; the piece BELOW that seam was already there. The piece ABOVE the seam is what was installed by my tech.

Before the covers installed the rolled up rollers were PLAINLY visible. It looked like s**t. Now it's very "clean" looking when the slides are retracted for travel.

I will climb up later today and look for sure, but I believe that once the covers were installed, only a "slit" was left open for the awning itself to slide through.

EDIT: Sorry, you can't see the seam. But in the picture showing the LED lights, that seam is about one half inch above the light strip. In other words my lights could have been installed as the coach was originally delivered

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
My Slide Toppers on the 8289WS came with the Anti Billow Hardware. A lever that, when the slide is retracted, prevents the roller from moving. I believe that it's standard on the Dometic Slide Toppers.

Here's a link to the hardware:

Dometic 3109252.001 Anti-Billow Assembly Hardware Part Camper Trailer RV

I have seen some posts about the hardware not being properly adjusted though.

RodeoGeorge
My 2010 Flagstaff came with these from the factory on all three toppers.
I have never touched them and they work great.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #24

Quote:
can you take a picture of yours? i have the same model year as yours (build date of august 2012) and it sounds like our slide toppers are installed differently...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #25

Here are mine on my 2011 390 RB. They clearly have end caps and some sort of a guard or deflector underneath but there is definitely nothing on top concealing the rolled up slide topper. I don't know if they are any different than what anyone else got with their coach from the factory but I have had no problems in over 2000 miles in the first year I've had it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_145025.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	31556

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_145042.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	31557

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_145057.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	31558

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_145119.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	31559
Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #26

thanks mjracsj, that is what my slide topper install looks like. looks like we are both missing the top cover that boowhoo had installed himself.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #27

Yes it seems that way but Im not worried about it as long as I have no problems. If I do I'll look into getting the covers like boowho has that match for that nice clean look like he has achieved. Until then Id rather spend the money on some other upgrades like satellite radio and a window awning. Nice looking doggies in your avatar Himcules
Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Yes it seems that way but Im not worried about it as long as I have no problems. If I do I'll look into getting the covers like boowho has that match for that nice clean look like he has achieved. Until then Id rather spend the money on some other upgrades like satellite radio and a window awning. Nice looking doggies in your avatar Himcules
Yep, I almost swallowed my tongue when my tech handed me the bill. I immediately wished that I'd ask the cost first. But then, the DW said she would have bought them for the $1400 anyhow since they do dress up the coach SO much.

Yeah, I rather have had more electronics and goodies like that, but that's the difference between boys and girls.

BTW, picking up the coach in Salt Lake City and driving 600 miles to get it home, I never noticed the toppers billowing at all.

Boowho??
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #29

I hear you but what is funny is I am usually the one who wants all kind of things like that and my wife says "what do we need that for??" My answer of "it's essential " may apply to anything from satellite radio, an airconditioner upgrade or flip down dvd player for our toddler for our MH to a gps nav system for my snowmobile
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #30

What the heck is with Texas? Ours did the same thing first trip out. We would be driving down the highway when an 18 wheeler would pass us it sounded like the awnings were coming off the coach. We had FR install covers for us as well Boo Hoo. Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #31

Frankatp....did FR install them at their expense or yours? If yours, what did they set you back?

I contacted Mitch about the problem I'm having and he is discussing the issue with his supervisors. I'm still waiting to hear what FR plans to do about it.
DannyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Frankatp....did FR install them at their expense or yours? If yours, what did they set you back?

I contacted Mitch about the problem I'm having and he is discussing the issue with his supervisors. I'm still waiting to hear what FR plans to do about it.
Sadly for you, I doubt FR will stand good for it. Randy Houser (Mitch's boss) told me they have NEVER installed those covers from day one.

I too am interested in what FR will sell them for. If it's like 3-4 hundred $$ or so, I going to hit my tech right in the choppers!!!

Boowho??
Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #33

FR charged for them. Wife paid the bill and I was afraid to ask! LOL. They are a must and I don't know why they don't put them on to begin with. Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #34

Does anyone have a part number for the covers? I would like to find them. The carefree web site doesn't list them. It looks like it is just a bolt on piece.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote