Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

Slide out topper

I have a 2013 BERK 390BH I bought this past Feb. I've driven it in Texas and California during windy conditions (20-30 mph) and in both cases have had the left front slide out topper start to spool off the reel.
After the first incident I took it back to the dealer and they had Carefree replace it. But it has done it again.
Am I the only one having this problem?
I'm beginning to think it is a design problem.

Danny
DannyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #2

i've been out 3 times with my 2013 390bh but all 3 were 1hr drive each direction. one time was very windy with a strong side wind that pushed against the rv that you can seriously feel, but no issues with the slide toppers on mine.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

I have had my sofa slide topper spool out like a giant sail, oh maybe 50 times. Almost always driving somewhere between the panhandle of Texas and southern Colorado. The quick fix is to put some pieces of duct tape from the little deflector to the roll. This can be done by leaning out the windows from the couch and dinette-- if you are agile enough! I have also had the wardrobe slide topper spool out a couple of times.

It seems to me that a permanent fix would either need a different shaped wind deflector or some sort of clips. Btw, if you leave the tape on by mistake and extend the slideout, the system is strong enough to tear through at least 7 pieces of duct tape, although mine did make some noises in protest!!

I'm still wondering if there's some adjustment I can make to the little deflector shield.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Had the same issue with my 2008... Mine was on curb side kitchen slide... Topper came completely unrolled, ripped and twisted... Had to end up cutting it off so I could open the slide... A few hundred bucks later, I had a new one installed...

I believe the problem is the wind deflector on the front of it simply doesn't do what it was designed to do.... The toppers need some sort of cover on them I guess, but that would be a pain because of having to remove and replace the over and over....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Had the same issue with my 2008... Mine was on curb side kitchen slide... Topper came completely unrolled, ripped and twisted... Had to end up cutting it off so I could open the slide... A few hundred bucks later, I had a new one installed...

I believe the problem is the wind deflector on the front of it simply doesn't do what it was designed to do.... The toppers need some sort of cover on them I guess, but that would be a pain because of having to remove and replace the over and over....
Maybe I'm on the bleeding edge on this one (for once!!). When I got my 2011, the slide topper rollers (with the material wrapped around them) were exposed to the elements. I figured FR had forgotten to install the covers, but they are apparently optional from Carefree.

Randy Hauser told me that FR has never put the covers on. So, I asked my tech about it, and he ordered the covers so the rollers themselves would be completely covered.

I figured it was only cosmetic, so when I got the bill I freaked out. $1400 for four slides!!! Made the silly assumption that $500 would cover it. So maybe with this new issue coming up, I'm actually ahead of the curve??

Oh, and they DO make a real SHARP cosmetic improvement.....

Anyone else have covers on the rollers? If so, did FR install them at manufacture?

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Maybe I'm on the bleeding edge on this one (for once!!). When I got my 2011, the slide topper rollers (with the material wrapped around them) were exposed to the elements. I figured FR had forgotten to install the covers, but they are apparently optional from Carefree.

Randy Hauser told me that FR has never put the covers on. So, I asked my tech about it, and he ordered the covers so the rollers themselves would be completely covered.

I figured it was only cosmetic, so when I got the bill I freaked out. $1400 for four slides!!! Made the silly assumption that $500 would cover it. So maybe with this new issue coming up, I'm actually ahead of the curve??

Oh, and they DO make a real SHARP cosmetic improvement.....

Anyone else have covers on the rollers? If so, did FR install them at manufacture?

Boowho??
can you post some pics of your covers? i'm interested in this... thx
Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

Hey guys.... I may have found the solution..

Check out web site for Awning Pro-Tech.... They have a 5 piece set of covers that will protect over 20' of awnings for $119.00... Transportation clips (which let you travel with them installed) are included...

Let me know what you think...
Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Owner/Operator

My Slide Toppers on the 8289WS came with the Anti Billow Hardware. A lever that, when the slide is retracted, prevents the roller from moving. I believe that it's standard on the Dometic Slide Toppers.

Here's a link to the hardware:

Dometic 3109252.001 Anti-Billow Assembly Hardware Part Camper Trailer RV

I have seen some posts about the hardware not being properly adjusted though.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

Quote:

Check out web site for Awning Pro-Tech.... They have a 5 piece set of covers that will protect over 20' of awnings for $119.00... Transportation clips (which let you travel with them installed) are included...

There are some posts here on the forum about what a pain it is to put them on and take them off. You need a ladder to do it.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:

i think you need to either carry a tall ladder with you or climb on top of the roof to install these on to the awnings when you are ready. from one of the videos, i think they said you can leave them on and extend your awning like normal where they just pop right off.

either way, it's not as clean and self contained as the solution boowho bought from carefree... its not as expensive either tho...
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #11

Yeah..... 119.00 vs 1400.00 makes me give them some thought...
Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
My Slide Toppers on the 8289WS came with the Anti Billow Hardware. A lever that, when the slide is retracted, prevents the roller from moving. I believe that it's standard on the Dometic Slide Toppers.

Here's a link to the hardware:

Dometic 3109252.001 Anti-Billow Assembly Hardware Part Camper Trailer RV

I have seen some posts about the hardware not being properly adjusted though.

RodeoGeorge
on my unit, i have the carefree sok iii slide out awning toppers. on the sok ii units, they advertise: "The only slideout roof cover with a built-in wind deflector to prevent billowing. No additional anti-billow device to install or re-adjust!" i figure the sok iii is the same, but couldn't find any verbage describing it that way...

guess they were wrong huh?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #13

You are talking about slide toppers, right? So, your tooling down the highway between 60 and 80 mph and nothing happens? If your slide toppers are un-rolling then it would seem to me that the spring tension for the return is definately under wound. Have never had a slide topper un-roll on it's own on any of my MH's. Go figure.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
can you post some pics of your covers? i'm interested in this... thx

They are pretty crummy because the sun is directly overhead right now, but maybe good enough to see. My tech told me these had to be custom made. And I've known him for quite awhile; so trust him completely.

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-27 11.36.13.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	31443   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-27 11.35.51.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	31444   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-27 11.35.29.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	31445  
Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #15

that looks like the cover on my main awning. i don't have anything on my slide toppers but the manual for the sok iii has them in the installation instructions (and no mention of them being optional).

on my main awning, there are 2 parts to the cover. the bottom is the main wind deflector. the upper is the a cover cap. looks like i got another item to have my dealer question FR on...

i'm guessing the custom part is the deflector is cut to the length of the slides. everything else should be normal parts...

you have LED's on one of yours too! very NICE mod! i hate the useless patio light...

btw, boo, i have the same paint scheme as you do (granite fire)
Old 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #16

Looking at the Carefree website (www.carefreeofcolorado.com.com) shows an option for slide toppers called Uniguard. Does anyone have these on their toppers? The website says you have to consult the dealer for any information. I might be interested in putting these on my 4 slides. My awing does have a cover and I am wondering if this is the same product but for slide toppers.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
that looks like the cover on my main awning. i don't have anything on my slide toppers but the manual for the sok iii has them in the installation instructions (and no mention of them being optional).

Himc......

Color was not my first choice, but again, I bought used so have to compromise. Would rather have had something in browns, tans and gold. Our color scheme reminds me of Darth Vader; it almost looks evil from certain angles!!

You are right, the slide topper installation guide does indeed show the covers. However, after Randy (at FR) told me they never install the covers, I called Carefree and indeed they are optional.

It's possible that my tech screwed up and had them custom made by someone other than Carefree. While he's a great tech, I have found him to be wrong once in awhile.

Were I you (or anyone else maybe wanting to add the covers) I'd call Carefree Customer Service and check pricing with them.

Boowho??
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Looking at the Carefree website (www.carefreeofcolorado.com.com) shows an option for slide toppers called Uniguard. Does anyone have these on their toppers? The website says you have to consult the dealer for any information. I might be interested in putting these on my 4 slides. My awing does have a cover and I am wondering if this is the same product but for slide toppers.
On my coach, no they are not the same. The power awning cover is a good bit different from the slide topper covers.

EDIT: Oops.... just looked at the Carefree site and the Unigard pic. They do appear similar. Of course, on the slide toppers there is no hinge. As I remember when the tech installed mine he removed the end caps, put the cover on and re-installed the end caps.

Boowho??
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:

you have LED's on one of yours too! very NICE mod! i hate the useless patio light...

Elsewhere in these forums, I have found what appears to be one of the the longest active threads and has been going on for over a year. Hundreds (if not thousands) of messages.

Take a guess what the subject is....... Yes, those LED lights!!!

They are the latest MUST HAVE item for SO many folks to the point of becoming cult-like!!!

Boowho??
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #20

Having to deal with slide toppers spooling out when you run into some gusty winds is not what you would expect from an MH of this price range. IMHO Forest River or Carefree should resolve the problem at their expense. My MH is only 4 months old and I have had to climb on the roof each time in gusty winds alongside a freeway to correct the problem. I plan to pursue this thru my dealer, or the OEM FR.
DannyV is offline   Reply With Quote