Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Slide problem

Need some help guys. We just moved to a new spot in the same campground. Everything worked like usual to close up and unhook. I got hooked up in the new spot and now my bunk house slide won't open. I can hear the motor turning but that is all. I checked the fuse and it's good.

Any suggestions on what I can try or what it might be would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

All other slides worked perfectly.

I have a 2013 390BH.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

Make sure your closet door (left door as you look at it) did not come open. Mine did after the washer and dryer install and caught the wood trim just enough to stop the slide from extending. I hope it's as easy as that to fix. Good Luck.

JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Had the same problem and also found that the door for the washer dryer had come open and was blocking the slide from opening. Ended up with the door brackets getting bent. Was able to push them back into place. That slide is electrically operated by the way. Good luck!

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Thanks JJ, I too wish it would have been that simple.

The problem is a broken cable that looks like it come out of the motor and hooks to a drive system of chain and cables. No fixing this in the field. Looks like another trip to the dealer. I'm just glad it broke while it was slid in. Here's a pic, it's located in the middle of the slide, up on top of the bunks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1218544063.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	38964  
Old 08-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #5

Cajun,
I had a cable on my slide break also. I called FR customer service rep and he said that the cable didn't have any warranty. The manufacturer told me the same thing. I just bought a cable (about $35) and replaced it myself. It is a real pain to snake through the slide and pulleys. I now keep an eye on the cables looking for fraying at the ends that attach to the slide. They keep saying that this is a very reliable slide mechanism but I really don't like the set up.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Tom. The part I am looking at comes right off the electric motor, it looks like cable but I am not 100% sure. If it is, it's a very short one.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Cajun,
Take a look at your slide out outside and see if all the cables are there. I don't believe that any of the cables are short. As far as I know, they all go from the motor and attach to the slide on the outside. Depending on which cable needs replacement will determine how much gymnastics you need to go through to snake it through the pulleys. If you do it yourself, you will need a cable cutter and a crimper. I didn't have a crimper so I used very small cable u-bolts.
Good luck and let me know if you need any further info.
Tom

Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

The cables run both inside and out, the ones on the inside pull the slide out. the ones on the outside pull it in. One cable fits all for replacement, however it has to be cut to fit. Crimpers are available from Lowes for less than $40. Snaking the cable properly is probably the hardest part, I have already replaced 3 out of 8 on my cable operated slide.
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

I looked at all the other cables and they are all still tight and in the pulleys. I am not sure what is actually broken but the motor spins and nothing happens. I have an appointment at the dealer on the 14th for another issue and I will get them to take a look at the slide.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #10

Here's a more close up pic of what is broken. I cannot tell if that is a cable or a bent up shaft coming out of the electric motor.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #11

That appears to be a flexible driveshaft similar to what is used on power seats. Mechanical speedometers had a similar cable. It shouldn't be too hard to replace, if the shaft can be found separately. But, something caused it to twist and pull out/break. Look for something binding before attempting to operate after repair.
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #12

Wow, have the same exact problem with my 2013 Berk. Took it to the dealer today, hopefully won't tell us it not under warranty. Went out last weekend and the bed slide would not go out, could hear the motor running, but not moving at all. We just bought it in January.
LisaBush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Lisa,
If it is the slide for the bed, lift the bed and look for a broken shear pin on the slide mechanism.
Tom

Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #14

Thanks. We took it to our dealer yesterday. We had a couple of other items that needed fixing.
LisaBush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #15

I wanted to update this problem.

It was the soft shaft from the electric motor to the gearbox that was broken. Warranty covered the repair.

Last time I had the coach in for some other services the kitchen floor was gouged. The dealer covered the cost of that too.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I wanted to update this problem.

It was the soft shaft from the electric motor to the gearbox that was broken. Warranty covered the repair.

Last time I had the coach in for some other services the kitchen floor was gouged. The dealer covered the cost of that too.
Can you e-mail me a lit of parts/repair needed? I have a 2013 390BH and the slide is stuck in. My pix look very much like yours--the thing connecting the motor and gear box looks like some thin shaft that has silver tinsel wrapped around it. Motor runs but no tension on the chains, so I think the gear box is not engaged.

I am trying to advance order parts so I don't have to leave it at the dealer for an extended time while they figure it out.

sean
seanfulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #17

Sean I am away from home until the 13th, when I get home I'll look for the paperwork and send it to you.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Sean I am away from home until the 13th, when I get home I'll look for the paperwork and send it to you.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Thanks. For anyone else looking, here is a hi-res pix of my unit. Suggestions/similar stories appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hi-res_gearbox.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	60087  
seanfulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #19

Yup that's the same thing that broke on mine.

Sean I tried emailing you back but it's coming back as undeliverable. I'll send you the info in a pm.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #20

Please send to me as well. I want to be prepared.
Steve.heicklen is offline   Reply With Quote