Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Slide question for 2019 Berkshire 40D owners

we are having a problem with sofa/dinette slide staying in time! The rear of the slide makes a loud popping sound as it retracts, seems to be jumping a gear cog! we have had it to the dealer three times since we bought it two years ago and a mobile tech in Florida took a look at it! Contacted F/R, they asked for pictures and a video, sent those today, awaiting reply. Is anyone else with this model having this problem?
Alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
Diesel Rep West Coast

what did the dealer and mobile tech tell you? Also does it happen when the slide just goes out or does it happen also when the slide comes in?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #3

problems with the Schwintec motors being in 'sync' are usually something you can readily solve, as the owner, for the 'front to rear' scenario. Holding the BUTTON down well beyond when the slide reaches it's Out or In keeps them in 'sync'.
When you have, though, a problem with the TOP and BOTTOM of one end of the slide being different - that's when a COG or RAIL has been jumped - and no longer solvable by the owner.
MrPalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Diesel Rep West Coast

The slide in question sounds like its a hydraulic slide and not a electric slide.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

sounds like a Schwintec electric slide to me - they say "gear cog" and "popping sounds", all very much like a Schwintec.
MrPalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #6

I'm on my second RV with Schwintek slides. I hate them. Get to know this video and do it every time you use it.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #7

On the hydraulic large slides there are clog rails on each side on the bottom. Those can get out of synch. Equalizer has a good step by step instruction on how to get those back in synch provided the teeth on the rail aren’t broken off. It’s on the equalizer web site.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #8

The dealer replaced a defective roller under the rear side of the slide where the refrigerator sits and retimed the slide! the other two times they retimed the slide and could find nothing to cause the slide to not stay timed. The Florida tech is very good, we have used him many times and he could find no problem either. I just found a 2016 u tube video that may show my problem, we are missing the Teflon slide pieces shown in the video at minute 2:37. Will be sending the video to F/R and our dealer today. Here it is if you are interested.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
Diesel Rep West Coast

Happy to hear the issue seems to be getting resolved.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #10

Alva-those skid plates are important so good catch. Our coach was missing them and we had quite a bit of problem with that particular large slide. Lazydaze in Tucson discovered the issue and fabricated two plastic plates. That helped a lot.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #11

Thank you Igave
That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for, I don't suppose you have pictures?
Old 07-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #12

Sorry, no. When I got the coach back at the end of the day it was all buttoned up. I do know they had to lift the slide to have enough room to install the plates. I don’t recall the thread names, but there are others on here (variety of brands) who have dealt with the same thing.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:31 AM   #13

Igave, would you by any chance have a contact name in Tucson Lazydays? we brought our coach at Lazydays Tampa. We would go if there is a chance to have it fixed.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:12 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Here is a quick how to guide on timing the hydraulic slide rooms. Do you with whom you are working with at Forest River?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Forest River- Slide-Out TS and Timing Shaft Guide.pdf (919.8 KB, 102 views)
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #15

Sent pictures and video to Mitch. The slide not staying in time is the problem, all the techs who have looked at the slide understand how to time an Equalizer slide system, why it won't stay in time and what the popping sounds means is the problem!!
Old 07-31-2021, 09:35 AM   #16

update on our slide problem for those interested. I have five calls from Equalizer Systems trying to solve our problem, nothing from F/R. Coach is out of warranty, probably not an option anyway. They do not have a repair facility in Elkhart for slides, jacks only. They seem to think we have some nylon buttons either worn out or missing, sending new ones. Possible problem with timing gear and track. We are trying to find a shop that can replace these items, hopefully somewhere in the south, we don't stay in the keys during hurricane season. Anyone know of a good shop? We are currently in Georgia but will go just about anywhere.

2019 Berkshire 40D
Old 07-31-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alva View Post
Anyone know of a good shop? We are currently in Georgia but will go just about anywhere.
Three Way Campers in Marietta, Georgia has a very good service facility. They aren't a Berkshire dealer but they do sell Sunseeker and Coachmen motor homes.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Midstate RV Center
131 Peachtree Parkway
Byron, GA 31008
PH478) 242-1512
They are a Berkshire dealer as well and are authorized to do warranty work. If you could private message me the VIN# and we can see what we can do.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPalazzo View Post
sounds like a Schwintec electric slide to me - they say "gear cog" and "popping sounds", all very much like a Schwintec.
The Berkshire in question has a Hydraulic slide.... not a schwintec like your Palazzo. You are giving wrong info based on YOUR RV!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #20

Update, trying not to be like some who start something here and never let us know how it turned out. We heard from F/R last week, they sent some suggestions and pics. Tried them all, no luck, nothing helped! I am looking for shops that can remove the slide if necessary and are experienced with the equalizer system, don't know if it needs to be removed but I am finding many large shops are not capable of doing it. We have located two, one in Georgia and one in Florida, trying to decide.

Tags
berkshire, question, slide