Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #1

Slide Topper Replacement

I had a slide topper get damaged from high winds a few years ago and now the upper seal needs replacement. Looking for a good place to order a replacement topper. I found tough top awnings on a random search. I am comfortable with the procedures for installation and how to measure, but not sure if there are better brands.
Anyone have any suggestions or good/bad news stories?
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caflorin View Post
I had a slide topper get damaged from high winds a few years ago and now the upper seal needs replacement. Looking for a good place to order a replacement topper. I found tough top awnings on a random search. I am comfortable with the procedures for installation and how to measure, but not sure if there are better brands.
Anyone have any suggestions or good/bad news stories?
Toughtopawnings is what I used. They were referred to teh RVGeeks on Youtube. If you use their code RVGEEKSROCK it'll knock off 5%.

They also have a video of replacing the toppers that helps.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednick69 View Post
Toughtopawnings is what I used. They were referred to teh RVGeeks on Youtube. If you use their code RVGEEKSROCK it'll knock off 5%.

They also have a video of replacing the toppers that helps.
X2 on the toughtopawnings. I replaced 2 with the help of my son.

My only complaint on the material is that it does seem to stain easier than the OE topper material. Takes a lot of scrubbing to remove and even then it's not completely gone.

If you have anti billow Arms just buy new ones and replace them. They are notorious for losing screws if not riveted and cracking making them a candidate to fall off

If you need a rivet gun, I recommend a Metabo. Head is removable if a rivet fails to eject. Mine worked flawlessly.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #4

Got mine from etrailer.com No complaints.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #5

Slide Topper Replacement

I haven’t purchased slide out fabric from them but did buy the upper covers for all of my carefree SOK iii toppers from Shadepro. They were surplus from Carefree at a much better price than Carefree offered. Their fabric prices look very good.

I’m very interested in what you finally select so please update this post whenever you purchase and install.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #6

Looked at the 2 companies suggested. Looks like Shadepro buys direct from Carefree and Tough Top manufactures their own at half the price. The width measurement was a snap, but the length shows to measure the depth of the slide and they would add on the required extra to make up the material in the roller. I am probably over thinking this, but will wait for a warm day to remove the topper for exact measurements. I will likely go with tough top due to reviews and their we will make it right guarantee. I will also snag the discount you folks passed on. Thank you for the inputs and happy camping!
Old 02-05-2022, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Looked at the 2 companies suggested. Looks like Shadepro buys direct from Carefree and Tough Top manufactures their own at half the price. The width measurement was a snap, but the length shows to measure the depth of the slide and they would add on the required extra to make up the material in the roller. I am probably over thinking this, but will wait for a warm day to remove the topper for exact measurements. I will likely go with tough top due to reviews and their we will make it right guarantee. I will also snag the discount you folks passed on. Thank you for the inputs and happy camping!
Unless you are saying you need to double check your measurements, which is always a good practice (3 times is best at least), width of topper as defined and depth of slide out room is all you need to place an order. They calculate length correctly based on the depth of the slide out room you provide, and from I remember there is no place to enter a length on the order form.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #8

Shade pro is the best imo you can get upgraded 15.5 oz fabric with 5 yr warranty or the 13 standard with 3 yr warranty . have not found better prices anywhere
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Shade pro is the best imo you can get upgraded 15.5 oz fabric with 5 yr warranty or the 13 standard with 3 yr warranty . have not found better prices anywhere
MR.M, have you had any stains that were tough to remove completely? What product or cleaning agents are you using? I am parked in my driveway most of the time, not directly under any trees and have had stains difficult to remove completely

Thanks

Chris
Old 02-05-2022, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:

Interesting. I just looked at the site again. I guess it's worth a phone call. Thanx.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Unless you are saying you need to double check your measurements, which is always a good practice (3 times is best at least), width of topper as defined and depth of slide out room is all you need to place an order. They calculate length correctly based on the depth of the slide out room you provide, and from I remember there is no place to enter a length on the order form.
The depth of the slide topper is the distance between the edges that are folded over and have a rope-like spacer in the cavity. As a result, there are discrete depths for the slide toppers. So, just get one that is deeper than the amount of your slide extension and you are OK. The excess just remains rolled up.

—Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:46 PM   #12

Slide Topper Replacement

Quote:

Which fabric did you use? Looks like the original carefree on mine are vinyl. Not sure if the acrylic would keep the rain off the top of the slide as well as vinyl.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 02-06-2022, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
The depth of the slide topper is the distance between the edges that are folded over and have a rope-like spacer in the cavity. As a result, there are discrete depths for the slide toppers. So, just get one that is deeper than the amount of your slide extension and you are OK. The excess just remains rolled up.

—Gordon
Gordon,

I was replying to the OP.

Maybe I should clarify q little more as these posts on who has done what can get confusing.

I installed 2 slide out toppers from toughtopwawnings 2 years ago. The original toppers are A & E Systems/Dometic - not Carefree or something else.

As I remember the order form at that time, they only ask you to measure the depth of the slideout room. And they provided some pretty easy instructions on how to take that measurement.

Toughtopawning will give you the correct length. And from what I remember there was no place to enter the length of topper material.

Now, it is possible all that's changed. But a couple years ago it was pretty easy to take measurements
Old 02-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #14

Folks. I was tracking all of the responses. Some folks used width and length differently. I was able to figure that all out. All the inputs were good. I called Shadepro and all of their awnings are "X inches" by 48". The important measurement is the one that is parallel to the roll-up bar. I also used the wrong estimate from Shadepro. The twice as expensive was wrong. I was looking at the wrong page. My decision right now is acrylic or vinyl. From what I have read, the acrylic holds up better, but is a bit more expensive. I am also waiting to hear back from Stone vos that have a 10 year non pro-rated warranty. Probably pretty pricey, but we'll see. I have some time, but hope to let you all know how it went by the end of March

I appreciate all the inputs, discount tips and feedback.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Folks. I was tracking all of the responses. Some folks used width and length differently. I was able to figure that all out. All the inputs were good. I called Shadepro and all of their awnings are "X inches" by 48". The important measurement is the one that is parallel to the roll-up bar. I also used the wrong estimate from Shadepro. The twice as expensive was wrong. I was looking at the wrong page. My decision right now is acrylic or vinyl. From what I have read, the acrylic holds up better, but is a bit more expensive. I am also waiting to hear back from Stone vos that have a 10 year non pro-rated warranty. Probably pretty pricey, but we'll see. I have some time, but hope to let you all know how it went by the end of March

I appreciate all the inputs, discount tips and feedback.
Good to hear things are progressing.

Like I said, toughtopawning was a good experience ordering and installing, just a little problem removing stains.

Been 2 summers now it does still look good once cleaned.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:58 PM   #16

I removed the topper fabric today to look at the material and how it faired over the past 7 years. The vinyl was faded and the damage from the wind storm was apparent. Age issues were thread deterioration at the seams and some checking in the vinyl. I noted there is only one way to put the fabric in and to remove it on my RV. The forward slides need the fabric removed front the front and inserted from the from and the rear slides are the opposite. It has to do with the channel on the body of the RV where the topper slides in to.

Seeing the normal wear on the vinyl, I decided to get an acrylic replacement so I will be able to compare the characteristics (water shedding, etc) to that of the original vinyl. That meant the tough toppers were out. They don't do acrylic. I ordered from shop pro. I won't be able to answer the stain questions, because my toppers are black. The videos on removal you all suggested helped say time. I used a dremel instead of a drill to expand the channel. I'll let you now how the install goes when the material comes in and the weather cooperated.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #17

Sounds familiar. Keep us posted and good luck
Old 02-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #18

Thanks for the update.

I’ve been looking at ShadePro also. Haven’t decided yet but I do know that the Sunbrella fabric is pretty awesome.

I’m interested in how they perform in a heavy rain and whether with 4 ft of fabric they stay taught. Seems like that may rely on a lot of spring tension to keep them from sagging not to mention a lot of fabric on the roller tube.

Were the originals 4 ft deep?

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 02-10-2022, 07:36 AM   #19

48" sounded a bit long to me, but since I removed my topper and put a tape measure on it....sure enough my dinette topper was 168.5" X 48". I will tell you, it's kind of nice being able to take my time on these winter projects.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #20

I went with the Shadepro acrylic. Easy install. I'll give it a season and if it works out as good as it looks, I will do the other 3 which are in good overall shape, but are showing their age. Shadepro took about 7 days from order to delivery.

Tags
replacement, slide