Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Smoke/CO detectors

Well, I discovered something interesting. About two weeks ago, I happened to look at the CO detector in the bedroom and noticed that the plastic piece that isolates the battery when new had not been removed. I took it out and then tested the detector...it was not functioning correctly, so I sent it back to the manufacturer and am awaiting a replacement. Today, I happened to look at the smoke detector in the front and that battery had not been set up in that one either.....so in essence I was lacking smoke and CO detection (other than the wired central detector). Please check your coaches out to make sure that none of you has this issue and are at risk.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Well, I discovered something interesting. About two weeks ago, I happened to look at the CO detector in the bedroom and noticed that the plastic piece that isolates the battery when new had not been removed. I took it out and then tested the detector...it was not functioning correctly, so I sent it back to the manufacturer and am awaiting a replacement. Today, I happened to look at the smoke detector in the front and that battery had not been set up in that one either.....so in essence I was lacking smoke and CO detection (other than the wired central detector). Please check your coaches out to make sure that none of you has this issue and are at risk.

Rich
I experienced this as well. Even more shocking, it was not on my radar until I was packing up for our second season and was going to replace the batteries. That was when I found the same thing you did. Batteries wrapped in plastic.

I had just had it in for service and my "so called" dealer charged me over 300 bucks for "work not covered under warranty" (which included de-winterizing) and a complete inspection. When I pressed them about the emergency equipment part of the inspection, the service guy said they only look to see if it had a fire extinguisher. No longer drive there for anything; nor will I buy from them again.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote