Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Dragonship Captain

Spare?

Maybe a silly question, but I didn't notice a spare on the unit...... is it hidden? Or does it not come with one? (2017 Berkshire 38A)
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

My 34qs does not have a spare.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Maybe a silly question, but I didn't notice a spare on the unit...... is it hidden? Or does it not come with one? (2017 Berkshire 38A)
Sorry.. no spare. you will have to call for road service.

Don't feel bad, I asked the same question.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain

Hmmmmm, I know they're large/heavy but I may get a wheel/tire and stuff it down there somewhere. May even fabricate a mount in the receiver....

Of course with a rear you can slowly and carefully proceed on one and get off the road.....With a steer I guess you could borrow a rear..... Yes I know. Need serious jack, compressor, impact wrench and all that.

Being dependent on road service for a flat can be a time consuming affair, and quite uncomfortable if you're in a nasty spot....

That said, is there an on-line resource to find the nearest 24 hour mobile tire service?
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

You can always get a wheel but the tire is another question. I carry a tire. All the truck repair services can mount a tire to a wheel along the side of the road. Will cut the weight you carry by 50 pounds.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #6

A tire is a big --- thing to stick into the basement storage area.... Takes up a bunch of space and I'm not willing to sacrifice valuable storage space...

Unless I'm somewhere really crazy ( and I shouldn't be in a 34'-40' coach) I think I'll just sit in my coach and wait for roadside help (that I've paid for) to arrive and help me out...

Oh I know there's always the exception - but in the 40+ years I've been RVing I've never had that kind of issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Learning

I did sacrifice the space and carry a tire only. Some day I'll fashion a method for suspending it in the bay.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

I believe you will need two spares, you're Steering tires are different from the rears! Youroo! !
Old 11-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #9

At least on mine, the rear and steering are the same.
Hank
Old 11-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Mine too....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #11

Same tire- different rim!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Hmmmmm, I know they're large/heavy but I may get a wheel/tire and stuff it down there somewhere. May even fabricate a mount in the receiver....

Of course with a rear you can slowly and carefully proceed on one and get off the road.....With a steer I guess you could borrow a rear..... Yes I know. Need serious jack, compressor, impact wrench and all that.

Being dependent on road service for a flat can be a time consuming affair, and quite uncomfortable if you're in a nasty spot....

That said, is there an on-line resource to find the nearest 24 hour mobile tire service?
Ni, you don't. You need a bottle jack (or your vehicle supplied jack), a breaker bar and appropriate socket, you don't need no stinking impact wrench or compressor...ever. Besides, you never want to mount a wheel with an impact wrench. Hand mount them and at the nearest opportunity, check the prevailing torque with a torque wrench.

You need some physical interaction with the flat tire and the spare and you better hope the spare has air in it... (IOW, check your spare when you check your road tires).

One thing I do is I standardize all my wheels and tires, that is, the wheels on all my trailers (I have more than one) and my truck are all the same diameter, width, bolt pattern and load rating so they all interchange. I can mount my spare tire on any axle, on any trailer and the truck too and in the case of an odd sized wheel / tire (like I have on my quad trailer), I carry a correct spare bolted to the trailer frame....with air in it of course....

Changing a flat on the road or in your driveway takes basic tools and those tools should be in your truck or car (because far as I know, every vehicle sold comes with flat tire changing tools). They may not be the best but it's certainly not difficult or expensive to equip yourself with better tools and really make the job easier.

It's called self reliance....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
Site Team

Sidecarflip, this is Class A tires and wheels being discussed (hence the forum subtopic, Berkshire), and is NOT something that is as easy to change as a pickup or trailer tire/wheel.

Your advice may not work so well on 22.5 commercial tires, like some of these have. I also do not feel comfortable being in the tire business, suggesting to members that they should attempt changing tires on these with 400+ ft lbs of lug nut torque themselves. This is a good way for someone to get hurt.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Same tire- different rim!
Tom
You are right for aluminum wheels, but I believe that the steel ones are interchangeable.
Hank
Old 11-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #15

Hank,
Forgot about the steel wheels. Been quite a while since I've had the steel wheels.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #16

I believe that those of you with aluminum wheels still have a steel inner rear axle wheel.
Hank