RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #21

What bright engineer builds a highway with a 12 - 14% grade???? What an idiot....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Bingo. That's that bad boy. We made it up all 33000 lbs(plus) but only barely. I was looking for stuff to toss out the door to lighten the load. Going up was tough but we will not be going down that way.
Next time drop the toad ahead of time. I have done 13% with my old 2000 Ducth Star gasser without the slightest problem (pretty sprightly actually) once I dropped the car. Before I dropped the car the hammer was on the floor and was standing still!!

If you got the 7710 you should be able to know of those steep inclines in advance.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #23

Sometimes you have to accept what you get and this sounds like one of them. The road out of Skagway Alaska has an 11% grade in some portions. For me it was a 1st gear going down and 2nd gear going up. I was more concerned going down than going up since gravity was against me going down.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #24

We were far from any highway. I was surprised that the 7710 didn't warn me before we got started up. We had no idea it was so steep. We turned and there it was steep and long. We had ten cars behind us and no shoulder.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #25

Phil
I did what you did in 2012 while out west. I went up a long 10% grade and was down to 20 mph with my 340hp. A GPS with grade info. would be great, but I do not have one. Instead, I bought the Mountain Directory.

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

I also have Allstays Camp and RV, and also Allstays Truck and Travel apps on my I-Pad. These apps give grades, Walmarts, fuel locations and a lot more. The Mountain directory says that the steepest grades are in the East.

Will be interested in anything that you find out about the engine chip mod.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #26

I would find that lack of power totally unacceptable. I guess that's why I owned 3 diesel pushers over the years!! Hope you can do some HP/torque improvements to make your RV a bit more user friendly!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #27
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

I got stuck on a 14% grade in Utah a few years back. Had no issues at all going up or down and I was also towing a car. Took it slow of course. Here in Colorado when we go to the mountains we hit 6-7% grades all the time.

From our trip to Utah.

[/URL][/IMG]

TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #28

Where is this in Utah? The 13% I mentioned earlier was up at 10K feet near Cedar Breaks National Monument.

And the steepest grade I found in my semi driving career was right around State College, PA. Had to drop all the way down to 6th gear and out here in the West, I was never lower than 8th.

Boowho??
Old 07-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #29
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Escalate UT. Highway 12.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
Escalate UT. Highway 12.

Ah, good ol' UT 12.....

I like the part on the narrow "backbone" that is just wide enough for 2 lanes and a narrow safety lane on each side. And then it's at least 1000 feet straight down on BOTH sides.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "pucker factor", don't it?? White knuckle grip on the wheel!!!

Boowho??
Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #31
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Wife already had on panic attack the day before because of the road. Lol!!! The day I took that picture it was foggy so it hid the big drop off.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I would find that lack of power totally unacceptable. I guess that's why I owned 3 diesel pushers over the years!! Hope you can do some HP/torque improvements to make your RV a bit more user friendly!

Hell it is a DP. Has a 6.7 ISB that is the same motor you have in your truck. The difference is I am at 33000 or so lbs. I also started this grade from almost a dead stop. I would live to have a larger motor but my money press is broken down. I will have a performance chip soon. But a new MH ain't happening.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Phil
I did what you did in 2012 while out west. I went up a long 10% grade and was down to 20 mph with my 340hp. A GPS with grade info. would be great, but I do not have one. Instead, I bought the Mountain Directory.

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

I also have Allstays Camp and RV, and also Allstays Truck and Travel apps on my I-Pad. These apps give grades, Walmarts, fuel locations and a lot more. The Mountain directory says that the steepest grades are in the East.

Will be interested in anything that you find out about the engine chip mod.
This is what I'm looking at. I need to do some more research on it but this seems better than having Cummins reprogram the 340 to a 360. The Cummins reprogram gives the same HP and torque as the 360 but of course I'm still stuck with the 2500 Trans. Not much I can do about that. The Parley chip is adjustable and the best part is it leaves no foot print so the remaining Allison warranty is still in effect.

http://
http://www.parleysdieselperformance....sel-pusher-rvs

Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #34
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
...Had to drop all the way down to 6th gear and out here in the West, I was never lower than 8th.

Boowho??

So explain to us non-truckers how low 6th gear is. How many gears did you have?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #35

And how many of those gears did you actually use?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #36

Quote:
So explain to us non-truckers how low 6th gear is. How many gears did you have?

Usually 10 forward and 2 reverse. There also 13 and 18 speed tranys, but IMHO they are mostly overkill. I've never driven a 13 or 18.

The 10 speed tranny has two ranges.. Gears 1-5 are in the low range, 6-10 in upper range. Each range has a reverse, but you never need high range reverse. The truck will probably backup at 30+ miles per hour in high-range reverse.

I rarely started in 1st unless VERY heavy and starting on a steep grade (uphill). I usually started in 2nd of if totally empty 3rd worked fine.

From flat out 10th on the level, you can see that I'd have to downshift 3 times to get down to 7th. That will get you up damn near any hill in the USA.

When you pass a truck on a long grade with 4-ways on and the motor really loud (working hard) the driver would almost never be lower than 7th gear.

The neat thing is that each gear is exactly 300 RPM (up or down) from the previous gear. Since the tranny has no synchronizing feature, you have to match the RPM's when you shift.

For example, starting out in 3rd, you wind the engine up to say 1400 RPM, then release the hammer just a bit (releasing the torque load on the gears) and you can push if right out of 3rd without clutching; then when the rpms drop to 1100 you can push it right back into 4th, again without clutching.

If your timing is good, it's basically one smooth motion..... After a fairly short time driving, you don't even have to watch the RPMS at all; you can tell by the sound (shift by ear, I guess). It is NOT difficult to learn; once you've been driving awhile if becomes second nature; you don't even think about it.

BTW, shifting like that without clutching is referred to as "floating gears".

Hope this give you a little more info.

Boowho??
Old 07-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
And how many of those gears did you actually use?
On a 10 speed ALL of them at certain times (Except high range reverse). See my previous post.

If you're running "bob-tail" (no trailer) you can "skip shift"; start in 3rd, skip 4th and hit 5th. Skip 6th, hit 7th, etc....

You can get from 4th (or so) to 10th with only 3 shifts (or so). Only difference from what I mentioned in the prev message, is that when "skip shifting" you have 600 (not 300) RPMS difference between each gear change.

As I said in the previous message, you can match RPMs by ear... If you do "miss" (which you will occasionally) just bump the hammer a bit to get the RPMS matched and then it'll slip right in. If the truck travels more than one truck length while you are not in gear (shifting up or down) you are considered (by DOT guys) to not be safely in control of your vehicle.

Boowho??
Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #38
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Steep Grade.

So with all the gears and engine brake how do truckers get the run away truck? I guess not paying attention or wanting to get to their stop asap?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #39

Quote:
So with all the gears and engine brake how do truckers get the run away truck? I guess not paying attention or wanting to get to their stop asap?

Exactly.... in a GD hurry...... If I drop down to 6th and have the jake brake on the highest level, I can go down most any hill in the USA, never touching the brakes. BUT, I'll be going down very slowly. The only problem with doing it that way is you are only braking on one axle (of five total).

Most drivers watch to much NASCAR on weekends and tend to drive accordingly. I was told in school that I could go down a hill too slowly and do it over and over again. But going down to fast, you only do it once. There is absolutely no reason to ever need a runaway ramp EXCEPT for incompetent drivers.

Boowho??
Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Usually 10 forward and 2 reverse. There also 13 and 18 speed tranys, but IMHO they are mostly overkill. I've never driven a 13 or 18.

The 10 speed tranny has two ranges.. Gears 1-5 are in the low range, 6-10 in upper range. Each range has a reverse, but you never need high range reverse. The truck will probably backup at 30+ miles per hour in high-range reverse.

I rarely started in 1st unless VERY heavy and starting on a steep grade (uphill). I usually started in 2nd of if totally empty 3rd worked fine.

From flat out 10th on the level, you can see that I'd have to downshift 3 times to get to 7th. That will get you up damn near any hill in the USA.

When you pass a truck on a long grade with 4-ways on and the motor really loud (working hard) the driver would almost never be lower than 7th gear.

The neat thing is that each gear is exactly 300 RPM (up or down) from the previous gear. Since the tranny has no synchronizing feature, you have to match the RPM's when you shift.

For example, starting out in 3rd, you wind the engine up to say 1400 RPM, then release the hammer just a bit (releasing the torque load on the gears) and you can push if right out of 3rd without clutching; then when the rpms drop to 1100 you can push it right back into 4th, again without clutching.

If your timing is good, it's basically one smooth motion..... After a fairly short time driving, you don't even have to watch the RPMS at all; you can tell by the sound (shift by ear, I guess). It is NOT difficult to learn; once you've been driving awhile if becomes second nature; you don't even think about it.

BTW, shifting like that without clutching is referred to as "floating gears".

Hope this give you a little more info.

Boowho??

I'll add to this..... There are also 8, 9, and 15 speed transmissions. My favorite is by far the 18 speed. With an 18 speed you have your normal gears that you would shift like a 9 speed, plus there is an air shifter that splits all the gears in half. When I am empty I don't split the gears. When loaded I do. An 18 speed is 400 RPM's between whole gears, so if you are splitting, there is 200 RPM's between gears. The reason I like the 18 speed is because you can keep the engine in the power band at all times. When you start pulling a hill and your RPM's start to drop, you just down shift 1/2 of a gear. With a 10 speed you have to let the RPM's drop out of the power band to go to the next lower gear.

We have two identical trucks. One with a 9 speed, and the other with an 18 speed. The 18 speed can go up any hill at least 10 mph faster than the 9 speed only because of staying in the power band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote