Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

Step Modification Help

Greetings all! I have an 08 Berkshire and need to modify the front step to support a physically challenged passenger I'll be carrying next month. Specifically, I need the step to not come out at all. I've experimented with my door configuration and regardless of the switch setting, my stair comes out if I open the door. With the over-ride switch, I can keep the stair out and open and close the door, but I need the step retracted. While I'm not at the coach to look at the step, I assume it is the Lippert. Unlink some I've read about, I don't have a step "Power" switch, I have the Step Over-ride Switch. What I'd like to do is just add something like a marine battery cut out switch to the power going to the steps and mount the switch underneath, maybe near the step lamp so when I need it, I can just reach under and switch it. My question is - on the Lippert instructions, the diagram shows a red wire (to power) and a white wire to the power switch. I don't want to mess anything up but I assume I just want to add the switch inline with the red power wire??? Sorry to be long-winded, just want to accurately describe what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks in advance!
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

No need to install a switch. The step is triggered by a magnet when the door opens and closes. If you look at the left inside of the door frame from the outside near the bottom you will see 2 black plastic caps. If you put a magnet to the top one, the step will retract. I purchased a quarter sized flat, round magnet that I duct tape on the door over the receptor and it keeps the step retracted. Works just fine.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #3

TMMAR - Thanks for the idea! Is there room to still shut the door or do you have to tape up the magnet each time you want to use it?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

You could unplug the step and when you are done plug it in. I also think the step has its own fuse that you could pull.

Mike
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

You will still have room to shut the door if you get a flat magnet. The one I have is about 1/4" thick and about the size of a quarter.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

tmmar and mcomer,Thanks - the magnet idea is perfect as long as the door can shut. I had thought about simply pulling the plug but when I originally looked at the steps (month ago), the harness connector was sealed - looked like heat shrink. I did not see the fuse but it could have been under the panel. Regardless, thanks to you both - I'll start looking for an appropriate magnet.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
No need to install a switch. The step is triggered by a magnet when the door opens and closes. If you look at the left inside of the door frame from the outside near the bottom you will see 2 black plastic caps. If you put a magnet to the top one, the step will retract. I purchased a quarter sized flat, round magnet that I duct tape on the door over the receptor and it keeps the step retracted. Works just fine.

Tom

Tom.

I understand why the OP Wants to keep his step in. What other reason is there to keep the step in?? As in your case to have the magnet ?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

Russell,
I do it because I put a 'platform step' to be used when going in and out. I feel that the coach step takes less of a beating that way. With the number of problems that have occurred with the Lippert steps, I feel that anything I can do to lessen the pounding the step take the better.
Tom

Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

Thanks Tom.

I figured it to be something like that. My coach is new. At 1500 mile in Canada a last week my step wouldn't retract at all.

Couldn't get it to do anything. So I took step off. Was able to get motor to cycle then. Done some adjustments on it here at home. It working now. Guess it probably be an issue at some point.

So your thoughts are don't use it any more than necessary I guess. Ha

Thanks
Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #10

tmmar - I went and picked up the coach today and crawled under to look at the step. I guess in 08 they were using Kwikee steps. It is actually a Kwikee series 28. It too has the magnets so I assume it will work the same way as you described. If not, I can always resort to the marine battery switch.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #11

JBoyer,
Yes, the magnet will work the same way on your Kwikee steps. I had an '08 Berkshire and the magnet worked just fine.
Tom

Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #12

tmmar - again, thanks for all your advice. I picked up our coach this morning and the magnet looked promising. I was able to control the door by placing a magnet on the frame as you described. Unfortunately, the tolerance in my door is extremely tight. Even with a flat - button magnet, the door would catch it when closing. It almost worked by attaching outside - but was a little flakey - meaning it opened once when I was walking away. I decided just to add a battery cutoff switch in the fuse/relay compartment. It will get very little use so it's out of the way there. Very easy 15 minute install, just spliced into the hot lead. Even with the power switch off, the step will still work with the ignition on but I now have the ability to keep the stair retracted when parked and ignition off - which is what I needed. 15 foot of 12g a wire and the switch, some heat shrink and wire ties - very easy mod.

Tags
cat, modifications