Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Storage for 2015 Berkshire XL

When storing our new 2015 Berkshire XL for more than a month (it is stored in a covered carport structure with electric service available - we are in Florida), I have a few questions:

1. Do you store it with the air suspension bags full or do you deflate them? If deflated, do you extend the leveling jacks or leave them up?
2. Do you leave the refrigerator on (we have 30 amp power hooked up)?
3. Do you set the AC to run or not?
4. Do you leave the inverter on?
5. Anything else that we should do when storing for 30 days or more?

Thanks,
Bill and Stephanie Thiess
williamthiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #2

I have a slab at my house with full hook ups so I leave the coach plugged in 24/7, refrigerator on, inverter off AC's off until day prior to leaving and I always Auto Level the coach which deflates the bags and lowers the jacks.

Other than that, I leave condiments in the fridge but empty the cabinets of all food that will melt or go bad. I also lower all of the shades.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamthiess View Post
When storing our new 2015 Berkshire XL for more than a month (it is stored in a covered carport structure with electric service available - we are in Florida), I have a few questions:

Ours is in an enclosed storage near our home and we check on it occasionally.
If yours is on your property next to your house, or you are leaving town for long periods these answers could be different.

1. Do you store it with the air suspension bags full or do you deflate them? If deflated, do you extend the leveling jacks or leave them up?
If bags left full, they will slowly deflate on their own after a while. May or may not put jacks down.
2. Do you leave the refrigerator on (we have 30 amp power hooked up)?
We leave our on with just some condiments in it. We do check on it at least every week. We leave a bowl of ice in the freezer so we can tell if it has lost power and defrosted while we were not there.
3. Do you set the AC to run or not?
We do not
4. Do you leave the inverter on?
No. If it lost power with the fridge on, it would run the battery down in one day enough to probably ruin it.
5. Anything else that we should do when storing for 30 days or more?
Put some Fresh Cab in it to keep the mice out.

Thanks,
Bill and Stephanie Thiess
Dan
Old 07-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #4

Mine is on my driveway at home also plugged in 24/7. Empty out all perishables and food stuff like cereal and pretzels, etc. Fridge is on and inverter is off. The main thing I do differently is I have some 4x4's that I cut to just fit under the jacks when retracted. This way the levelers are up and not exposed to any elements and if the air bags bleed down, the jacks will settle on the 4x4's and not put any stress on the deflated air bags and any other chassis component.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #5

In Florida with the humidity I would run the AC but set it for 80 or so to keep the moisture out. You might be able to get a dehumidifier to do the same thing but run cheaper.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

We're in Florida, too, and just like others said, we keep it in the drive where we have a 50A power source. Keep the air running, set around 80, jacks down and as level as we can get it, slides in. Did this with our last RV, too, and I think it really helped keep it in condition. Also nice for when we had company.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:49 AM   #7

We store in a barn on concrete--plugged in 24/7- inverter off--jacks up-aired up (it will eventually air down some) --frig on (meat & freezer stuff empty) open a couple of windows -- salesman switch off (not sure why because is shut off very little). Full of fuel and washed before going to barn.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #8

My wife says I am entitled to one stupid question a day so here goes. Why do most of you post when you are connected to shore power the inverter off? If you are running on shore power isn't the inverter not producing power anyway?
Old 07-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

The inverter will continue to invert, thus creating heat, even with little or no load. Not needed when you're on shore power, so it can be off....or on....either works. I do leave the converter on to trickle charge the batteries. Some folks like to have the inverter on for the fridge in case of a power outage, but since mine is on the same panel as the house, I definitely know if the power goes off. Also, I have a AGS that will start the generator if the temp gets above 90F in the coach.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Fresh cab to keep mice out? What is cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

We remove all foodstuff that's not canned or bottled IOT discourage rodents. Inverter and refrigerator off.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Mine is on my driveway at home also plugged in 24/7. Empty out all perishables and food stuff like cereal and pretzels, etc. Fridge is on and inverter is off. The main thing I do differently is I have some 4x4's that I cut to just fit under the jacks when retracted. This way the levelers are up and not exposed to any elements and if the air bags bleed down, the jacks will settle on the 4x4's and not put any stress on the deflated air bags and any other chassis component.
X2
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
Fresh cab to keep mice out? What is cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Fresh Cab rodent repellant.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=fresh+cab
Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #14

I use Irish Spring hand soap to keep mice out. I buy the large pack at Costco that contains about 10 bars. Using a sharp knife I shave each bar into about 1/8 inch strip. I put about 6 to 10 pieces into several open zip lock bags. I place I bag into each compartment and place about 6 or 8 around the inside of the coach.

Over the years I have tried several other forms of mouse deterents. .. this is the only one that has worked 100 percent.

Mothballs will keep mice out but the RV will also need to be aired out for a very long time before it is fit for human habitation.

Irish spring is effective without NY terrible lasting stench
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, storage