Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Storage Question

First off I am a first time RVer. I bought a 2011 390BH over the weekend. When I parked at my storage facility yesterday (backed in the first time with no assistance, pretty proud of that) , I discovered I have power available to me. So I plan on running the refrigerator. What else should I leave on? I believe there is some sort of heater to keep stuff from freezing in the utility compartments, should I run this? I am guessing I am beyond the freeze problem time of year (north Texas). What else should I power during it's stay in storage?
mry110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #2

Why do you want to leave the fridge on? I turn everything off on mine and leave it plugged on so the batteries stay up
2 - KVH R6DX Dishes with DISH HD DVR
AB6FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

Personally, i would consider a vent cover like maxxair if you do not already have one and use the vent fans to help it air out and keep the humidity down. Unfortunately, i am new myself and do not know the specifics of "should it always be on or do you turn it on x # of days before a trip etc". Hopefully some body can fill in that gap. Do you pay for elec usage? Or just a flat fee that includes electric? I have heard of some using the heat/ ac to help control humidity and makes items last longer...
Darn sure wish i had electric at storage site for and afforable price

2011 Heritage Glenn 312QBUD
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

I have a indoor storage that has AC also. I just leave the door and a couple of windows open. It isnt humid in Southern California though so that isnt an issue
2 - KVH R6DX Dishes with DISH HD DVR
AB6FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We leave everything off when in storage. Once every two weeks I go to the storage facility and turn all the batteries on and start the unit. I let it run for about 15 minutes and then I turn it off and shut off the batteries. We leave the fridge off and the doors open so that it doesn't get moldy inside. A few days before we are ready to go we turn on the fridge and then load it up the day before we leave.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #6

Ed,
Starting and running the engine for 15 mins at a time is, from what I have read, not good for the engine. It is better not to run it at all unless you can drive it and get the engine up to operating temps and then run it for 30 mins. I am guessing that you don't have any power at your storage so you want to keep the batteries charged. I think you would be better off starting and running the generator for 30 mins and putting the AC's on to provide some load for the generator.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote